Bowden Confesses: We paid the refs

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I attended a FCA banquet last week and the speakers were Willie Simons (FAMU HC) and Bobby Bowden. Simmons was a good speaker and has done well at the mess that was FAMU. Among Tallahassee college football coaches, he is the best Willie by far.

Coach Bowden, at 89, was entertaining with a good memory though he had a couple of gaffs with a name and a date. He's quite feeble and has to be helped to and from. One of his first stories centered around Burt Reynolds. Seems Burt would occasionally call and offer to buy the team new uniforms. Having done this twice, he called Bobby prior to their game in Jax with Bama few years back and wanted to once again buy new uni's. Bobby declined saying that by that time they had every combination of uniforms imaginable. New helmets? Nope, got three or four different ones already. Cleats? No, plenty of them. So Burt tells him he's sending $50K and tellsBobby to just get the team something it needs.

On the eve of the game, Burt flies into Jax from Hollywood and meets Bobby. After a short bull session he takes Burt on the field for pre-game. He notices Burt's looking around to see what new stuff the team has that he paid for, but everything looks the same. Finally he tells Bobby that he can't see anything new and wants to know what Bobby spent the $50K on? Bobby tells Burt that he used it like Burt wished and bought something he knew the team was going to need for the game...the refs!

My first inclination was to jump up and shout "Hell, I knew it all along!" However, my sense of decorum at the FCA event (and my sobriety) prevented such. And even though the story was an ice breaker, I took it as an overdue confession!

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Thought this would be about the swindle in the swamp. Burt must have paid some bucks for those refs.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That wasn't the only game obviously..

Burt and others put a lot of money in the ref's pocket for FSUcks games.

Fvk the clowns

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I attended a FCA banquet last week and the speakers were WiLLLLLLLie Simons (FAMU HC) and Bobby Bowden. Simmons was a good speaker and has done well at the mess that was FAMU. Among Tallahassee college football coaches, he is the best WiLLLLLLLie by far.

Coach Bowden, at 89, was entertaining with a good memory though he had a couple of gaffs with a name and a date. He's quite feeble and has to be helped to and from. One of his first stories centered around Burt Reynolds. Seems Burt would occasionally call and offer to buy the team new uniforms. Having done this twice, he called Bobby prior to their game in Jax with Bama few years back and wanted to once again buy new uni's. Bobby declined saying that by that time they had every combination of uniforms imaginable. New helmets? Nope, got three or four different ones already. Cleats? No, plenty of them. So Burt tells him he's sending $50K and tellsBobby to just get the team something it needs.

On the eve of the game, Burt flies into Jax from Hollywood and meets Bobby. After a short bull session he takes Burt on the field for pre-game. He notices Burt's looking around to see what new stuff the team has that he paid for, but everything looks the same. Finally he tells Bobby that he can't see anything new and wants to know what Bobby spent the $50K on? Bobby tells Burt that he used it like Burt wished and bought something he knew the team was going to need for the game...the refs!

My first inclination was to jump up and shout "Hell, I knew it all along!" However, my sense of decorum at the FCA event (and my sobriety) prevented such. And even though the story was an ice breaker, I took it as an overdue confession!

Mike's Beer Barn and Oakley's funded the players for years. Nic's Toggery for free clothes.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
C2, is this your way of telling us “gotcha suckers, April Fools!”? :lol:

Not that I don't believe it...I’m sure Booby paid the refs for years. I just wouldn’t expect him to admit it.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
C2, is this your way of telling us “gotcha suckers, April Fools!”?

Not that I don't believe it...I’m sure Booby paid the refs for years. I just wouldn’t expect him to admit it.
Getting old does that, many will confess their sins on their way out.

I believe it was a joke...about a fact.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
da541a5a09c61690e33abf51a6e42866.jpg

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Bowden says after he put FSU on the map Seminole fans started calling him “Sweet Ole Bobby”. He was known everywhere around Tallahassee by the moniker ”Sweet Ole Bobby”. That went on for awhile. But later in his career as he stated to slip and his record tanked he says he become known around town just by his initials.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Why would you defile Gator gear by putting it on HIM?!?!?!?!?!?!??
Leyer loved him some Booby Bowden, therefore so does Ox.

Ox probably has shrine to Booby, Paterno and Woody Hayes too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator