Buckle up, it's Will Grier time

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n175586 said:
Go back and watch the games, he couldn't hit the broad side of the barn. He basically got pulled against freaking eastern Kentucky because he was 3-12. He's not accurate, has a weaker arm than morningwood and isn't the best decision maker off the field.

Well he didn't have that big game experience like Driskel I guess. I am just saying he didn't play that bad considering he was a true freshman and the wreck our offense was. If everything you say is true then McElwain would have to be an idiot to start him. We will see if McElwain is an idiot I guess.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n175578 said:
No he wasn't considering what he was put into. We lose to TN without him and would have beat LSU if he was in there most likely.

We don't beat Tennnesse without Tennesse... Tennesse handed us plus field position late in the game. Morningwood could have won that game at that point, Driskel was already shellshocked. I do think we beat LSU, Vandy and Georgia with Harris. But Harris was an issue against EKU, USCe and FSU. I'm not blaming him for 2 of the ints, but the general disfunction of how the offense was running is partly due to play calling (which was Roper's worst game in my opinion) and Harris not being really to his anything no right in front of him. He was a true freshman which should be taken into consideration.

But when facing a teams #1 defense he was 45-97 (46.4%) and 6 tds and 3 int. That isn't good enough moving forward.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n175598 said:
We don't beat Tennnesse without Tennesse... Tennesse handed us plus field position late in the game. Morningwood could have won that game at that point, Driskel was already shellshocked. I do think we beat LSU, Vandy and Georgia with Harris. But Harris was an issue against EKU, USCe and FSU. I'm not blaming him for 2 of the ints, but the general disfunction of how the offense was running is partly due to play calling (which was Roper's worst game in my opinion) and Harris not being really to his anything no right in front of him. He was a true freshman which should be taken into consideration.

But when facing a teams #1 defense he was 45-97 (46.4%) and 6 tds and 3 int. That isn't good enough moving forward.

If Driskel was in there at the end I almost guarantee you we lose that game even in a non shell shocked state. I think Harris can be functional with McElwain here. I also think McElwain will make the right call on the QB and would make a quick change if he thinks one needs to be made unlike the prior coach.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n175601 said:
If Driskel was in there at the end I almost guarantee you we lose that game even in a non shell shocked state. I think Harris can be functional with McElwain here. I also think McElwain will make the right call on the QB and would make a quick change if he thinks one needs to be made unlike the prior coach.

I think we lose with Driskel because he was useless at that point... but Morningwood would have won us that game. I'm not saying Harris can't be functional, I'm just saying he has to be better if he is going to start. I'm not rooting for any quarterback to be our starter, except the best one for the job. That is McElwain and his staff's job. But Harris has to show us more if he is going to be that guy.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n175604 said:
I think we lose with Driskel because he was useless at that point... but Morningwood would have won us that game. I'm not saying Harris can't be functional, I'm just saying he has to be better if he is going to start. I'm not rooting for any quarterback to be our starter, except the best one for the job. That is McElwain and his staff's job. But Harris has to show us more if he is going to be that guy.

I wouldn't trust Morningwood in any game. After watching the offensive plays only replay of Georgia Southern with the wide view I couldn't believe how bad he played that game.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n175608 said:
I wouldn't trust Morningwood in any game. After watching the offensive plays only replay of Georgia Southern with the wide view I couldn't believe how bad he played that game.

Morningwood sucks lemons... but Tennesse is Tennesse.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
From where I'm sitting - a geographically challenged fan, on a keyboard - all I know about WG is that he was redshirted by a family developmental decision, not coaching decisions. I haven't seen anything to give any kind of indication that he sucks, is a saviour, or at least has potential to help us next year. Similarly, all I have is the in game performance by TH last season which I have to take with a grain of salt big enough to crush a car, given what I saw with WM and his coaching staff's utter suckage. I'm not going to knock TH off the starter spot, because I recognize he had us in some games despite a lack of coaching and questionable offensive player performances across most positions. I'm not going to hand the starting job to WG because beyond seeing nothing of him yet, I know he had the same non-development coaching this past year. As far as I know, he's had a year of college S&C but not any real coaching on how to actually play at an SEC level. Neither of them have had that.

I guess you guys are picking WG based on HS videos, maybe some of you have seen practices that I have not, or the roster stats for height and weight. I guess that because being unable to observe practices, I have nothing to judge WG on - good or bad, he's an unknown.

From where I'm sitting, I *have* to trust in Mac to evaluate both of them, coach both of them up, and put the best one in that fits what he wants to do with the offense. I'm not in Mac's head, nor has he called me to fill me on on his views of players or playbook. I'm in the dark, so I can't make any kind of assertion that TH or WG will be our QB next year. I have to wait and see. I'm impressed the rest of you have additional insight such that you can make this kind of a judgement on them, and what our offense will be next year, and how each of them fits into it.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
TLB;n175642 said:
From where I'm sitting - a geographically challenged fan, on a keyboard - all I know about WG is that he was redshirted by a family developmental decision, not coaching decisions. I haven't seen anything to give any kind of indication that he sucks, is a saviour, or at least has potential to help us next year. Similarly, all I have is the in game performance by TH last season which I have to take with a grain of salt big enough to crush a car, given what I saw with WM and his coaching staff's utter suckage. I'm not going to knock TH off the starter spot, because I recognize he had us in some games despite a lack of coaching and questionable offensive player performances across most positions. I'm not going to hand the starting job to WG because beyond seeing nothing of him yet, I know he had the same non-development coaching this past year. As far as I know, he's had a year of college S&C but not any real coaching on how to actually play at an SEC level. Neither of them have had that.

I guess you guys are picking WG based on HS videos, maybe some of you have seen practices that I have not, or the roster stats for height and weight. I guess that because being unable to observe practices, I have nothing to judge WG on - good or bad, he's an unknown.

From where I'm sitting, I *have* to trust in Mac to evaluate both of them, coach both of them up, and put the best one in that fits what he wants to do with the offense. I'm not in Mac's head, nor has he called me to fill me on on his views of players or playbook. I'm in the dark, so I can't make any kind of assertion that TH or WG will be our QB next year. I have to wait and see. I'm impressed the rest of you have additional insight such that you can make this kind of a judgement on them, and what our offense will be next year, and how each of them fits into it.

You used a lot of words to say nothing.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I Have No Friends :(;n175699 said:
You used a lot of words to say nothing.

you're right. :D

Point would be, everyone is picking WG to start. I haven't seen anything since his HS Highlights (TH has some as well) that tells me he is the chosen one.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n175587 said:
Well he didn't have that big game experience like Driskel I guess. I am just saying he didn't play that bad considering he was a true freshman and the wreck our offense was. If everything you say is true then McElwain would have to be an idiot to start him. We will see if McElwain is an idiot I guess.
I don't care what year he is he showed he was incapable of hiting a wide open receiver consistently.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
TLB;n175711 said:

Point would be, everyone is picking WG to start. I haven't seen anything since his HS Highlights (TH has some as well) that tells me he is the chosen one.

Heh no worries. Enjoy the Grier show this coming fall :cool:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
TLB;n175711 said:

Well, it's hard to see anything when he redshirted and didn't play. Not sure what you're trying to say.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ffs lol. He took a regular redshirt. It was the plan when he signed. He wanted to gain weight and stuff. There's articles on it from before the season started.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;n175781 said:
Ffs lol. He took a regular redshirt. It was the plan when he signed. He wanted to gain weight and stuff. There's articles on it from before the season started.

... and Muschamp wanted time to change Grier's throwing motion.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TLB;n175642 said:

I think a lot of it is the backup QB is the most popular player on the team. We will see soon enough. May even get a feeling of what McElwain thinks during Spring Practice.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n175715 said:
I don't care what year he is he showed he was incapable of hiting a wide open receiver consistently.

I am not sure I trust you and some others when it comes to QBs after some of the old Driskel threads.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
"Ear to the ground": Grier's been seen with his arm in a boot.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n175789 said:
I am not sure I trust you and some others when it comes to QBs after some of the old Driskel threads.
Why because I said he should start over a true freshman before we went into Tuscaloosa? Sorry he had the best half of his career in the second half of the Kentucky game treon had only thrown 2 passes up to then. That's the only time I defended or lobbied for driskel and with good reason, he hadn't imploded completely yet. What's sad is he had to relieve Harris against some powder puff teams. Harris doesn't have the arm to play qb at this level it had very little to do with coaching imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.