BYU Title IX Complaint

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure why anyone would really want to go to BYU.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-sexual-assault-victim-for-honor-code-breach/

Students at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah, operated by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, are accusing administrators of using its strict code of conduct against sexual assault victims.

The Mormon school is the largest religious university in America, and its students must adhere to a rigid “Honor Code” that mandates living a “chaste and virtuous life,” “clean language” and abstaining from alcohol and coffee, among other things.

In other words, premarital sex is not allowed.

The honor code has long been an essential part of campus life, but some students say that disciplinary procedures surrounding the regulations can keep sexual assault victims silent.

Madi Barney, 20, told the Huffington Post and the Salt Lake Tribune that she filed a Title IX complaint against BYU with the Department of Education on Monday.

The suit alleges that BYU put Barney on academic hold after they learned that she reported an off-campus rape to the local police in September.

Her accused rapist, 39-year-old, Nasir Seidu, has been charged with undressing her and partaking in sexual intercourse without Barney’s consent. He has told police the sex was consensual.

The Washington Post does not generally identify victims of sexual offenses, but the individual in this case has chosen to go public with her story.

According to HuffPo, Utah County Deputy Sheriff Edwin Randolph, a former women’s track coach at the school, then passed the incident’s police file on to the university, which proceeded to launch an Honor Code investigation against Barney.

“We have received information that you have been a victim of behavior that is addressed in the university Sexual Misconduct Policy,” a BYU Title IX coordinator wrote to Barney, the Tribune reported. “We have also received information that you have engaged in behavior that violates the BYU Honor Code.”

Barney’s attorney advised her not to partake in the honor code investigation because it could impact her criminal case. When she refused the school’s request, Barney said, BYU blocked her from both registering and withdrawing from classes.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm steadily losing faith in the human race. Gators attacking Gators. People in positions of authority with no common sense what-so-ever. We're doomed. Doomed I say!

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm steadily losing faith in the human race. Gators attacking Gators. People in positions of authority with no common sense what-so-ever. We're doomed. Doomed I say!
Nav's back b!tches!!!

Where ya been?

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Taking a vacation from the negativity.

:britney: - - and this is the thread you chose to post in?

well, I guess other threads are a little more negative than this one. - It's good to see ya though.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's peaceful. I'm restless today because my daugher is having a C section. I will be a grandpa sometime today so I'm nervously passing the time. lol

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
:britney: - - and this is the thread you chose to post in?

well, I guess other threads are a little more negative than this one. - It's good to see ya though.

What can I say? I'm weird like that.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Welcome to the board. Great first post ;)

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

This seems kind of negative, Nav.:lmao2:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Nav ... hope all goes perfect with your daughter and the baby. Congratulations and welcome
back ... and don't do that again.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member

Welcome back.
Congratulations.

Where is Al Paco?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member