Callaway update

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
My view is that if someone has not been charged or if they have been charged and a judge has released them on bond, they have been determined not to be such a risk to society they need to be incarcerated. So if they are not such a risk to society according to the legal system, they need to be treated as innocent until proven guilty in a court of law and universities are not courts. And particularly state universities should not be able to banish people without due process.

Well if they have beeen charged for something that is not detrimental to society, but prohibited in the code of conduct policy, then...

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
As I said on a Baylor thread, there are people who want to us universities to get around the US Constitution and punish people without due process. The UF administration is running scared of bad publicity and civil actions. I wish some university administration, not UF's, would pull this crap on a guy like this with NFL prospects, get sued and have a jury award him $100,000,000 or so. How about FSU? That would make administrators everywhere see that liabilities run both ways.

My view is that if someone has not been charged or if they have been charged and a judge has released them on bond, they have been determined not to be such a risk to society they need to be incarcerated. So if they are not such a risk to society according to the legal system, they need to be treated as innocent until proven guilty in a court of law and universities are not courts. And particularly state universities should not be able to banish people without due process.
Suppose it was your daughter that claimed she was assaulted...would you feel the same way?
What if your daughter was just a student and the school took no precautionary action against someone accused of assault, leading to her being assaulted later by the accused?

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
As I said on a Baylor thread, there are people who want to us universities to get around the US Constitution and punish people without due process. The UF administration is running scared of bad publicity and civil actions. I wish some university administration, not UF's, would pull this crap on a guy like this with NFL prospects, get sued and have a jury award him $100,000,000 or so. How about FSU? That would make administrators everywhere see that liabilities run both ways.

1. Will never happen at f$u. The only time they suspend or expel a player is if there's conclusive video proof that can't be contained.

2. Read the first sentence in your second paragraph again. I expected your next statement to be "I hate being bipolar. It's awesome!"

3. The difficulty is created by high profile athletes who represent the school. Throw in the understandable fear of that you're viewed in the same light as f$u (sweep it all under the rug) and responsible administration will take action to show they're trying to do the right thing. Not saying it's right or fair based on the Constitution, but it's reality.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Suppose it was your daughter that claimed she was assaulted...would you feel the same way?
What if your daughter was just a student and the school took no precautionary action against someone accused of assault, leading to her being assaulted later by the accused?

And that was going to be my 4th point... but should've been my first, especially considering I have 3 girls, 2 of which are in college.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm good with a close call lesson learned if applicable, but if he becomes a repeat problem child and can't capitalize on his reprieve, then send him packing.

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015

I suspect when one accepts a scholarship, one agrees to abide by and accept the disciplinary policies of the institution.. But what do I know??

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

Yes of course I have a daughter and I would feel exactly the same thing. My ill will would have against the person who harmed my daughter or the criminal justice system if this person should have been locked up. I do not confuse a university with the criminal justice system. A university is in no position to be the criminal justice system. A university does not have jails or prisons nor should a university particularly a publicly funded university be being used to punish people without due process.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I suspect when one accepts a scholarship, one agrees to abide by and accept the disciplinary policies of the institution.. But what do I know??

I suspect you are right. I think universities should certainly enforce non-criminal rules about cheating in class, breaking dorm rules and other such educational infractions. I think the university, particularly a public university, in no way should try to be an extra judicial body in the case of possible criminal law violations. I do think in the case of someone being convicted after due process, a university can kick them out.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yes of course I have a daughter and I would feel exactly the same thing. My ill will would have against the person who harmed my daughter or the criminal justice system if this person should have been locked up. I do not confuse a university with the criminal justice system. A university is in no position to be the criminal justice system. A university does not have jails or prisons nor should a university particularly a publicly funded university be being used to punish people without due process.
A university has the responsibility of providing a safe environment for all of it's students. Don't believe me? Ask Baylor how your mindset is working for them.
You nor I know the specifics, but I'm confident they're doing the right thing for all involved. Maybe Calloway shouldn't have put himself in a precarious situation to begin with. He hasn't shown great judgment by the company he's kept.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
A university has the responsibility of providing a safe environment for all of it's students. Don't believe me? Ask Baylor how your mindset is working for them.
You nor I know the specifics, but I'm confident they're doing the right thing for all involved. Maybe Calloway shouldn't have put himself in a precarious situation to begin with. He hasn't shown great judgment by the company he's kept.

1. I was not discussing how the current unelected bureaucracy is claiming a university has this or that responsibility based on their own preferences. Try suing the government for not providing you a "safe environment" and see how far you get. As I said on a Baylor thread a lot of this is being pushed by people who want football to fade away.

2. I agree Calloway may not have been smart. I too do not know the detail. I do not know if Calloway behaved badly, someone decided to try to take advantage of him, his celeb and future earnings or what. UF probably does not know either. The best way to find out is the criminal justice system as imperfect as it is. My understanding is that he was not charged.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
1. I was not discussing how the current unelected bureaucracy is claiming a university has this or that responsibility based on their own preferences. Try suing the government for not providing you a "safe environment" and see how far you get. As I said on a Baylor thread a lot of this is being pushed by people who want football to fade away.

2. I agree Calloway may not have been smart. I too do not know the detail. I do not know if Calloway behaved badly, someone decided to try to take advantage of him, his celeb and future earnings or what. UF probably does not know either. The best way to find out is the criminal justice system as imperfect as it is. My understanding is that he was not charged.
So, you don't know the details but are pissed they didn't immediately reinstate him? I suspect it was something pretty damn serious for all of this happen, so I expect the university did it's due diligence. Maybe someone refused to press to charges, but notified the school? Who knows, but I can't condemn the school for erring on the side of caution. We're not Noles FFS.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Sometimes, not often, the accuser is the one committing the crime. What if it were your daughter who wrongfully accused a young man and he was unjustly removed from his dream? Oh wait....what if it were my daughter.

See it works both ways.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Sometimes, not often, the accuser is the one committing the crime. What if it were your daughter who wrongfully accused a young man and he was unjustly removed from his dream? Oh wait....what if it were my daughter.

See it works both ways.
I think anyone that falsely accuses someone of a serious crime should be held accountable through the legal system. Don't you think the school should still do their due diligence before potentially letting a dangerous offender back on campus? You know how much money that's gonna cost Baylor? I'm sure there may have been a false allegation or two in that mess.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
So, you don't know the details but are pissed they didn't immediately reinstate him? I suspect it was something pretty damn serious for all of this happen, so I expect the university did it's due diligence. Maybe someone refused to press to charges, but notified the school? Who knows, but I can't condemn the school for erring on the side of caution. We're not Noles FFS.

1. I am not pissed at all. I understand what UF is doing.

2. I doubt UF did any due diligence. UF is acting defensively due to the current climate. That is why I would like to see a huge judgement against a university to even out the climate some.

3. I can condemn anyone who errs on the side of caution rather than fairness and due process. Everyone should condemn such vile behavior on the part of an institution.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I think anyone that falsely accuses someone of a serious crime should be held accountable through the legal system. Don't you think the school should still do their due diligence before potentially letting a dangerous offender back on campus? You know how much money that's gonna cost Baylor? I'm sure there may have been a false allegation or two in that mess.

So:

1. You think someone who makes a false complaint should be held accountable through the legal system but not the person falsely accused? Great.

2. You presume the accused of being a "dangerous offender" rather than the accused. You think the university is better to determine who is a danger to society than a judge?

3. You do not know how much schools that err on the side of mistreating male students will ultimately pay for erring on the side of mistreating them.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Code of Conduct is always slow at UF. Cam was going to have over a semester to deal with plagiarism issues. This is rumored to be a sexual assault, so yeah it's going to be a while given UF's history. That's why Johnson is pushing so hard. If he doesn't press the issue, he could miss the season without any evidence against him.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
So:

1. You think someone who makes a false complaint should be held accountable through the legal system but not the person falsely accused? Great.

2. You presume the accused of being a "dangerous offender" rather than the accused. You think the university is better to determine who is a danger to society than a judge?

3. You do not know how much schools that err on the side of mistreating male students will ultimately pay for erring on the side of mistreating them.
Just read your conspiracy theory in the Baylor thread. :lol:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Code of Conduct is always slow at UF. Cam was going to have over a semester to deal with plagiarism issues. This is rumored to be a sexual assault, so yeah it's going to be a while given UF's history. That's why Johnson is pushing so hard. If he doesn't press the issue, he could miss the season without any evidence against him.
The Honor Court prosecutors, law students being supervised by law professors, have to file the complaint first. It may take a while to resolve but they don't just walk around campus and randomly pick a student to suspend. Of course, these complaints must be made based on evidence. That may not be the right term, it's been a while, but it's the equivalent of a complaint regardless.

Maybe the loud music was to cover her screams until they got the duct tape over her mouth. I don't know anything more than anyone else, everyone seems crazy quiet about this.

This whole thing stinks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator