Can McElwain recruit elite defense? (article)

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
My gripe with the original article is that the author states that recruiting the defensive side of the ball is Mac's responsibility and that "great" coaches like Collins, Shannon, etc. can only do so much with mediocre talent.
It COULD be Mac's fault, for instance if he were making decisions like not giving defense enough numbers. I really doubt he told them not to sign inside linebackers or NTs though. It guess it could also be his fault for hiring the Callahan, or, I guess, not firing him quickly enough. But they fired that useless POS at the end of the first year. And we tried desperately to get a good coach, but got Vol'ed with everyone we called I guess. If Callahan had been fired earlier, the damage was still done. When you hire bottom rung coaches from geographical schools, you get Callahans, Nords, Skippers, and Dixons.

The problem IMO is really in the total amount of the coaches salaries. We were in the bottom third of the SEC as far as total staff salaries. No wonder we have one of the bottom third staffs.

Just another penny smart pound, foolish tactic.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Kai-Leon would be a huge get. I really like how the coaches are focusing on defense.
You know I like big butts, but I wonder why so many of these kids just don't look well developed in the pecs and triceps. Are they just not lifting much in HS these days? Roids being tested more or something? They just don't look as well developed for some reason.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's really simple, if we win, we'll be just fine recruiting. Last season would have carried over to this year if not for Treon.
Our offense sucked for the first half of the season too, except for Ole Miss. Why does everyone keep forgetting that?

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Our offense sucked for the first half of the season too, except for Ole Miss. Why does everyone keep forgetting that?
No one forgets that, but the difference between Grier and Harris is night and day. Not to mention that the OLine was improving over the year and played better after Grier was suspended. The big difference was the winning.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No one forgets that, but the difference between Grier and Harris is night and day. Not to mention that the OLine was improving over the year and played better after Grier was suspended. The big difference was the winning.
The o line got worse over the year as guys got banged up.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The o line got worse over the year as guys got banged up.
Hard to say for sure, but our rushing attack got progressively worse. I suspect some of that was due to teams scheming to stop the run and force Treon to beat us with his arm. Thanks again, Grier!

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
NO NO NO. It wasn't the OL. Groupidiotthink has spoken already!

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Hard to make it through a season in the SEC when you are barely 1 deep on the offensive line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.