Can McElwain recruit elite defense? (article)

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Sure, the above can be used by naysayers to declare that Foley should never have hired coach McElwain -
No...Foley should of never hired a rookie HC to clean up the mess Meyer left behind. We should of backed up the "Brinks truck" at every "proven HC's" door and made them say no. However...we didn’t,we chose to go cheap and we'll pay for it for awhile,especially since we did the same with the Mac hire. Our piss poor recruiting is directly tied to the hire of Muschamp and no matter what anyone says, it's on Foley!

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Newsflash...I'm nothing but the gators winning!

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Mac can coach an offense. He gets a decent QB we are back to competing for championships again. We become "exciting" again and the players will return. Rome was not built in a day. UM was a hired gun and he broke your hearts. Didnt break mine. Mac is a sharp guy. He wont crack under the pressure or leave for ND or OSU. Recrutinging against the fckn SEC and jimbo too is a task. Give him time to make the inroads we need.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Rex- what actions do you want to see at this point? Obviously the coaching staff is trying to recruit the best talent and McElwain is focused on recruiting. So outside of the (get more 5*)... What is it you want to see?

Do you want McElwain fired?

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
giphy.gif

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member

This is exactly correct, in an endless friggin loop in every thread about every thing. That's what babies do, they cry til they get what they want.. Then they throw it down and cry about something else.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Rex- what actions do you want to see at this point? Obviously the coaching staff is trying to recruit the best talent and McElwain is focused on recruiting. So outside of the (get more 5*)... What is it you want to see?

Do you want McElwain fired?

Fired? No. I'm not sure his staff is top notch. Oh well. I've had enough abuse for a while.

Go Gators!

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Captain Obvious?

If it's so obvious, why is the author of the article, along with many others on this board including you apparently, overlooking the fact that Collins, Shannon, Rumph, etc. also need to do their part to recruiting top flight talent?..which they haven't been doing according to the star ratings that the author uses to make his case.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
If it's so obvious, why is the author of the article, along with many others on this board including you apparently, overlooking the fact that Collins, Shannon, Rumph, etc. also need to do their part to recruiting top flight talent?..which they haven't been doing according to the star ratings that the author uses to make his case.

Thanks. Captain Obvious.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
If this kid doesn't choose UF it will be a major recruiting fail. He's likely our top DE prospect. Hopefully he doesn't have a brain fart and choose UT.

Yeah, no **** Sherlock, that's obvious. The question is, if he doesn't choose us, is it McElwain's fault or is it his primary recruiter Coach Rumph's fault? Or is that too obvious a question for your pea brain to comprehend and answer???

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, no **** Sherlock, that's obvious. The question is, if he doesn't choose us, is it McElwain's fault or is it his primary recruiter Coach Rumph's fault? Or is that too obvious a question for your pea brain to comprehend and answer???
Who hired his primary recruiter?

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Who hired his primary recruiter?

Well damn, using your logic, let's just go ahead and fire all the coaches except Mac, give Mac half of the aggregate salaries of the guys that we just fired and let Mac do all the work. That way, UF saves a bunch of money, Mac makes a lot more cash so he'll be extra motivated to do a great job, what with all that extra cash he'll be making, and our program will see a tremendous improvement in our recruiting results because the guy that is ultimately responsible for recruiting will be the same guy doing all the recruiting...because using your logic, we aren't allowed to expect and hold ALL the coaches accountable for DOING THEIR RESPECTIVE JOBS. We are only allowed to hold the head coach accountable. Yeah, your logic makes perfect sense. /sarc

Last edited:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Well damn, using your logic, let's just go ahead and fire all the coaches except Mac, give Mac half of the aggregate salaries of the guys that we just fired and let Mac do all the work. That way, UF saves a bunch of money, Mac makes a lot more cash so he'll be extra motivated to do a great job, what with all that extra cash he'll be making, and our program will see a tremendous improvement in our recruiting results because the guy that is ultimately responsible for recruiting will be the nay guy doing the recruiting...because using your logic, we aren't allowed to expect and hold ALL the coaches accountable for DOING THEIR RESPECTIVE JOBS. We are only allowed to hold the head coach accountable. Yeah, your logic makes perfect sense. /sarc
Part of Mac's job is to surround himself with assistants who can recruit at a high level. How many of his assistants are doing that? I would say the man incharge of putting this staff together deserves some blame. Don't you?

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Part of Mac's job is to surround himself with assistants who can recruit at a high level. How many of his assistants are doing that? I would say the man incharge of putting this staff together deserves some blame. Don't you?

Mac's job is to hire the assistants and set the direction of the program. He gets the blame, rightfully so, for missteps like failing to set the direction of recruiting the state of Florida rather than going after all the out of state players the past two cycles. With that being said, this player Z. Carter has already been identified by the staff as a player we want to get. So I asked specific to this particular recruit, if we don't land this kid, whose fault is it...Rumph the primary recruiter for this kid or Mac? I'd say in this situation the blame would lay primarily with the primary recruiter. You disagree with that? If so, then it sounds like you really do subscribe to the far fetched idea I posted about firing all the assistant coaches and letting Mac fly solo.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Fired? No. I'm not sure his staff is top notch. Oh well. I've had enough abuse for a while.

Go Gators!

OK... so you want him to make staff changes? He made one last year and it was a great upgrade. I'm not sure you want to make a ton of staff changes after just one year, but I do agree if recruiting doesn't improve that changes will need to be made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.