Can McElwain recruit elite defense? (article)

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Mac's job is to hire the assistants and set the direction of the program. He gets the blame, rightfully so, for missteps like failing to set the direction of recruiting the state of Florida rather than going after all the out of state players the past two cycles. With that being said, this player Z. Carter has already been identified by the staff as a player we want to get. So I asked specific to this particular recruit, if we don't land this kid, whose fault is it...Rumph the primary recruiter for this kid or Mac? I'd say in this situation the blame would lay primarily with the primary recruiter. You disagree with that? If so, then it sounds like you really do subscribe to the far fetched idea I posted about firing all the assistant coaches and letting Mac fly solo.
I'm suggesting Mac should have fired a couple of assistants. There's a reason that Shannon was just a position coach at a sec bottom feeder, there's a reason that nord has coached for 50 years and could barely hold down a job at western Kentucky. There should have been atleast3 new coaches on this staff after last years recruiting debacle.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Yeah, no **** Sherlock, that's obvious. The question is, if he doesn't choose us, is it McElwain's fault or is it his primary recruiter Coach Rumph's fault? Or is that too obvious a question for your pea brain to comprehend and answer???

Dude, wipe that white stuff off your mouth. McElwain is a married man.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I'm suggesting Mac should have fired a couple of assistants. There's a reason that Shannon was just a position coach at a sec bottom feeder, there's a reason that nord has coached for 50 years and could barely hold down a job at western Kentucky. There should have been atleast3 new coaches on this staff after last years recruiting debacle.

I don't disagree with what you just said. Several of the assistants have no business being on the UF staff but we went cheap, which is something I've harped on for years. My gripe with the original article is that the author states that recruiting the defensive side of the ball is Mac's responsibility and that "great" coaches like Collins, Shannon, etc. can only do so much with mediocre talent. In saying that, the author seems to imply that the defensive assistant coaches bear no responsibility for the recruiting issues on that side of the ball, which I disagree with. All of them, including Mac, need to step it up recruiting wise. They all share in the blame and things need to change. Regarding Shannon, I wasn't really sold on him when he was hired and I'm still not.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
IMO in this "recruiting game" UF, coach Mac, along with all of his coach-staff should operate as a
high-dynamic team ... just like what they insist on from their players. Now that should mean acquiring
a team of coaches who are the better at coaching in practice, in games. By having the right-smarts
to produce effective players on-field, those select coaches should know how to transfer their football
expertise over to their recruiting offerings ... impress the recruits ... make better recruits want to come
play for the dynamic O and D that they've proved will continue to thrive here.

So, in summary, Mac needs to replace slouching coaches with better coaches both at what they get
out of players during the game and on the recruiting calls. Just, go Gators, try to satisfy Law & Trex.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
He's way worse, because he actually wants the Gators to win. So we accept him and allow him cry all day every day. Personally, I'm tired of every thread turning into the same conversation because of him, and I visit this site less everyday. I'm positive that others are feeling the same way. I understand the "powers that be at GC" want banter, but it comes with a sacrifice.

It still bugs me, but I can understand the mindset. My wife is always worried about something. If things are going good, she will find something unimportant to worry about. It's just how she's wired, she can't help it. I doubt Trex can either. I'll admit, I've got bad wiring too, in that despite coming off as a pumper a lot of the time, irl I cannot enjoy things much - my technique of dealing with adversity is that it won't last, and I've allowed that to extend to anything good as well. Just how I'm wired. Calling me, my wife, or Trex names won't change the mindset.

So outside of the (get more 5*)... What is it you want to see?

Right now, Mac and staff can't win any games. Only thing they can win right now is recruiting. So, I believe the 5* commits is all Rex is after at this point.

No...Foley should of never hired a rookie HC to clean up the mess Meyer left behind. We should of backed up the "Brinks truck" at every "proven HC's" door and made them say no. However...we didn’t,we chose to go cheap and we'll pay for it for awhile,especially since we did the same with the Mac hire. Our piss poor recruiting is directly tied to the hire of Muschamp and no matter what anyone says, it's on Foley!

Like Freeze or Briles? They were high on people's lists at the time.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Time will tell but this next 6 months is critical in my mind. I think we're sitting on a fence right now in both regards to recruiting as well as overall well being of the program. Win 10 without any total collapses, play well when at home and there are dozens of recruits there, play well and win your bowl game, which is the last impression a recruit has of the team before signing, and I believe the tide will turn in our favor. Lose games you shouldn't, look bad at home even against the cupcakes, and get walked over in a bowl by an average team again, could all send this program into a 3-5 year tailspin.

Rentmoneygawd

Jan 14, 2016
He's taken more three stars than any other head coach since the recruiting services started. He has two of the three worst ranked classes as well. If that's not crap then maybe you need some context. Either I need to lower my bar or you need to raise yours.

Dude...get off of your soapbox. You are so redundant lol. I'm sure you have given the same spiel in every thread that talks recruiting.

The man took the job with a month and a half to recruit. Could Rex have done better? No? Well stfu about the 1st class

2nd Class- Overhaul on offense (Top 5 Qb,5 4-star receivers, #1 Juco RB, #1 RB in Alabama...and #1 Juco Kicker)... 2 elite players (Clayton and Gardner) on defense. Left something to be desired.

3rd class- oh wait it is only May...you whine about 3 stars and our recruiting ranking. A top 10 class right now is made up of 11 3 stars. http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CompositeTeamRankings
So I ask...If we had 11 3 stars right now and were a top 10 class in May would you still be crying and whining?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The strongest magnet in recruiting is consistent dominance on the field, that's O & D.
A strong attraction must be radiated by our players "joy" on the field after well-executed gains,
on the sidelines all on TV - CFB's main advertising to the "at-home" viewers = recruits, even 12 year olds.

What were the rankings of Bama-Saban's first 2-3 recruit classes ? He took over at a school soaked
in CFB winning tradition. And didn't Saban come from a strong SEC Program where he won an NC ?
All ready to hit the farms milking his fully respecting recruit-school targets, connections ?

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
He's taken more three stars than any other head coach since the recruiting services started. He has two of the three worst ranked classes as well. If that's not crap then maybe you need some context. Either I need to lower my bar or you need to raise yours.

So, Muschamp pulled in highly ranked classes....and what happened? What were the season records and bowl performances?

WM had much higher ranked classes than Mac, and did less with more consistently.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
The strongest magnet in recruiting is consistent dominance on the field, that's O & D.
A strong attraction must be radiated by our players "joy" on the field after well-executed gains,
on the sidelines all on TV - CFB's main advertising to the "at-home" viewers = recruits, even 12 year olds.

What were the rankings of Bama-Saban's first 2-3 recruit classes ? He took over at a school soaked
in CFB winning tradition. And didn't Saban come from a strong SEC Program where he won an NC ?
All ready to hit the farms milking his fully respecting recruit-school targets, connections ?

2007 10th
2008 1st
2009 1st

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014

This....We got tradition, we play on prime time networks and at primetimes, no Thursday or Friday night games, we've got the best football conference around us, a huge fan base, 3 nationally recognized rivalry games.....if we just get out there and play some solid winning football on a more consistent basis, and try not to get embarrassed in a in state bowl game, most of these issues resolve themselves....SOS hated recruiting but we never had a shortage of pretty good players when he was here. It all boils down to product.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
So, Muschamp pulled in highly ranked classes....and what happened? What were the season records and bowl performances?

WM had much higher ranked classes than Mac, and did less with more consistently.

If Muschamp is your standard then we're in trouble. Anyone is better than that loser. I'm not sure why this conversation is still going on. Most of you agree he needs to do better in recruiting. It's been admitted to all. I'm requesting to not have to be a broken record.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Last year's class would have closed much stronger if not for the QB play. There is a reason it's the most important position in sports. We saw the defense give up at times (which is inexcusable, but understandable) or just get exhausted. It didn't happen with Grier, it was Freon who cooled the offense to a snail's pace. So all that said, win and be competitive this year, and the recruits will come.

A lot of what both sides are saying is true. Nord probably should have been gone too, but maybe he brings a lot of value for his small salary. Callahan was awful and is now gone. I think both Rumph and Shannon are good coaches that will likely start closing on bigger name when UF stops disappointing on the field. Skipper and Dixon have not done a bad job. I'm okay with both of them for now. I can only imagine they will become better recruiters the more time they have at UF. Collins is a mystery to me, but Nuss brought in a highly touted kid and a diamond in the rough that looks to pan out.

If we lose Carter, it will likely be Rumph's fault. Mac seems to let the assistants take the lead, and I've yet hear one recruit say something negative about Mac, but they have Saban and some others. Something weird can always happen, but I think Rumph should get the credit or the blame. I think it will be credit on this one. You probably want to keep an eye on Jerez Parks too.

It's really simple, if we win, we'll be just fine recruiting. Last season would have carried over to this year if not for Treon.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
If Muschamp is your standard then we're in trouble. Anyone is better than that loser. I'm not sure why this conversation is still going on. Most of you agree he needs to do better in recruiting. It's been admitted to all. I'm requesting to not have to be a broken record.

He's not my standard, but it's what we're coming from - a proven record of top classes and sht results. We've all agreed it takes good recruits AND coaching, but I've also given up changing your attitude about recruiting. I accept you how you are. I may not like it, but I accept it. :grouphug:

We do agree Mac needs to do better.

We do agree we'd like you to not be a broken record.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We will see in 2017 if things have changed. He will have two years of relationships as Florida's Head Coach, two years of implementing his system into place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator