Car Thread

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
mustanggt4_t3.jpg

Debut of the new 2024 Mustang GT4 was this weekend. Just testing, it was impressive and looked pretty dayum good.

Unfortunately, there was a tragic, horrific accident yesterday that killed a driver and put another in critical condition during practice for the Int'l GT Series Porsche race. They did race today, and it was healing for all involved.
"The Lord makes firm the steps, of the one who delights in Him; though he may stumble, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with His hand." Psalm 37:23-14

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
View attachment 63477

Debut of the new 2024 Mustang GT4 was this weekend. Just testing, it was impressive and looked pretty dayum good.

Unfortunately, there was a tragic, horrific accident yesterday that killed a driver and put another in critical condition during practice for the Int'l GT Series Porsche race. They did race today, and it was healing for all involved.
"The Lord makes firm the steps, of the one who delights in Him; though he may stumble, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with His hand." Psalm 37:23-14
Too bad about the crash. Prayers for the family of the drivers...

Good to see Ford putting the GTD's "Test Mule" through the paces. Can't wait til they release that thing on the street.

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
Car of the day. What a sight this thing is. 1950 Cadillac series 61 Le Mans "Le Monstre"
Over 125 cars this weekend. HSR Classic 24 Hours

lemonstre.jpg

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
65fordgt40adriannewey.jpg

This 1965 Ford GT40 mk1 is driven by F1 chassis design legend Adrian Newey, Chief Technical Officer of Red Bull Racing. His cars have won a dozen F1 World Championships, mostly with Williams in the 90s and Red Bull since 2010.
The hot shoe co-driver is Ford CEO Jim Farley.
Talk about a driver resume' wow.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Sorry, but she still makes me look back when I walk away.... Novembers drier, cooler air seems to really reconnect me with this car every year...It also usually means a new set of 315/40/20 Nitto tires on the rear within a couple weeks :lol:

Anyone else breaking our their hot rods or doing anything interesting with their cars this time of year?

IMG_1980.jpg

cartman302

Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2017
Sorry, but she still makes me look back when I walk away.... Novembers drier, cooler air seems to really reconnect me with this car every year...It also usually means a new set of 315/40/20 Nitto tires on the rear within a couple weeks :lol:

Anyone else breaking our their hot rods or doing anything interesting with their cars this time of year?

View attachment 63705
I cried "uncle" on the horsepower wars and bought a cruiser that I THINK I will drive- 1 owner, 02 Trans Am convertible WS6- not fast, but its civilized and reliable. I had toyed with the idea of a Gen III Viper, or a Terminator Cobra, but didn't want to tie up that much money in a toy. That, and the new house's garage isn't any bigger than the old house's. And, I now have a roommate, who's 15 Mini Cooper S convertible will be occupying one of the bays.

First world problems, I guess. Don't you have another Shelby? For some reason I thought you had a vert also.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I cried "uncle" on the horsepower wars and bought a cruiser that I THINK I will drive- 1 owner, 02 Trans Am convertible WS6- not fast, but its civilized and reliable. I had toyed with the idea of a Gen III Viper, or a Terminator Cobra, but didn't want to tie up that much money in a toy. That, and the new house's garage isn't any bigger than the old house's. And, I now have a roommate, who's 15 Mini Cooper S convertible will be occupying one of the bays.

First world problems, I guess. Don't you have another Shelby? For some reason I thought you had a vert also.
Nice pick up on that TA. Their collectability is going up and will continue to rise. The LS is a great powerplant that can be pretty potent and sounds bitchin with a mild cam and set of headers and maybe some cutouts....That could be a really fun ride.

"Fast" is great but at my age I'll take something that is affordable, reliable, looks the part of a bad ass, sounds good(the supercharger whine never gets old)and "feels fast"....The 2009 Shelby fits that perfectly for me. Sure I wouldn't mind having a newer GT 500 or ZO6 Vette but I'm not really into dropping 100K on ANY car or having a $1,000 a month payment....Maybe when I retire or get a little closer....

The convertible is a 2018 Mustang GT with the performance pack 2(magnaride dampers, Brembo 6 piston brakes, active exhaust)That's my wife's daily and it's a fun ride especially this time out the year with the top down....it's got a great exhaust system and a tune....again it's funner than it is fast.

cartman302

Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2017
I agree. Hagerty loves that car, and thinks it will escalate in value- that said, I bought it because I wanted a convertible, and I too, love the LS engines. It also wasn't stupidly overpriced, either.

I think it will hold my interest- I still have the SRT Grand Cherokee, and I've got a project 68 Torino that will eventually eat up some of my funds. I miss my 03 Cobra vert- it had a Kenne Bell blower and dyno'ed some ridiculous RWHP, but that was a long time ago. So I agree- the blower whine is hard to beat.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I agree. Hagerty loves that car, and thinks it will escalate in value- that said, I bought it because I wanted a convertible, and I too, love the LS engines. It also wasn't stupidly overpriced, either.

I think it will hold my interest- I still have the SRT Grand Cherokee, and I've got a project 68 Torino that will eventually eat up some of my funds.
It sounds like you've got more than enough to hold you over for a while. 68 Torino sounds cool too. Do you do some of your own work on these cars?

cartman302

Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2017
Not anymore. I was never that talented with a wrench, and these days I'm fortunate enough to pay those superior in skills to work on my toys.

That said, I've always been good at buying cars. Last count I was over 50K cars purchased since 1993. I'm blessed to be able to have had a job that I truly love- that is, I buy cars for a living.

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
That big old Cadillac spun in front of me yesterday. I called a waving yellow and gave the driver a thumbs up and 'go' sign winding my other arm. He took off and gave a thumbs up back to me. A little while later he broke a wheel hub/brake drum assembly and we thought he was going to be out of the Classic 24. BUT thanks to Joe Nemechek's guys welding a repair, then the owner somehow finding a '52 Caddy within 100 miles, he went and got parts that fit late last night, and raced today. What a cool story for the car. He found the car for sale and was going to buy it. When he told the seller what it was for, the seller told him 'come and get whatever you need off of it, no charge.'

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
717Porsche1996_993GT2evoRichieSmithFormulaFotos.jpg

Friday, this car pulled over and stopped almost at my feet. The rear was engulfed on fire. I was first one to it and had an extinguisher but one was not enough. Later I looked it up and it is (WAS) a $1.5 million car. A million plus the race prep. Extremely rare and collectible, one of eleven produced. 1996 993 GT2 EVO.

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
Porsche 962 is one of my favorite race cars ever. This one belongs to Lars Erik Nielsen of Denmark. His daughter Christina is a pro driver.

20231105_084549.jpg

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
4 days of IMSA testing for me next week. 40 cars on the list including this brand new Lambo Hypercar. These things go like four wheeled fighter jets, built like tanks.

lamboSC.jpg

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
65mustang_imsatest12082023.jpg

The rear wing uprights look too shaky. Lots of wiggle side to side. They ran good. #64 is just like this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.