CENSORED BY OTHER BOARDS: A recruiting story that should make you all warm and cozy

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
It really doesn't matter if its true or not. Until we can bring in players better than Maryland and Duke are getting we have a problem.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
2222, let's say our class finishes ranked 20th or worse. Will you spin that as a good thing? Do you honestly think people shouldn't be severely concerned about our recruiting? Hell, even the GC guys are cracking, and they aren't allowed to.

You usually seem like one of the more reasonable ones around here. The story in the OP was spin. I simply pointed out all of the inaccuracies in the story and provided references so people could fact check. I knew in advance that there would be a couple of posters here that would try to discredit me in some way for simply pointing out the truth. I didn't think you would be one of them.

I would not find a worse than 20th ranked class acceptable. I don't think anyone on this board would, even the ones labeled pumpers. I understand and share the concern about recruiting. We just disagree on the severity of the issue. I think this class will finish ranked somewhere either just inside or just outside the top 10. Not elite, but not horrible. I could be wrong. We'll all know in a few weeks when the signatures are on the dotted line.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
You usually seem like one of the more reasonable ones around here. The story in the OP was spin. I simply pointed out all of the inaccuracies in the story and provided references so people could fact check. I knew in advance that there would be a couple of posters here that would try to discredit me in some way for simply pointing out the truth. I didn't think you would be one of them.

I would not find a worse than 20th ranked class acceptable. I don't think anyone on this board would, even the ones labeled pumpers. I understand and share the concern about recruiting. We just disagree on the severity of the issue. I think this class will finish ranked somewhere either just inside or just outside the top 10. Not elite, but not horrible. I could be wrong. We'll all know in a few weeks when the signatures are on the dotted line.
Fair enough. I think the chances of us finishing around 10 are around the same as me growing a 3rd testicle, but I agree that time will tell.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Fair enough. I think the chances of us finishing around 10 are around the same as me growing a 3rd testicle, but I agree that time will tell.
I think we have iterated to a metric. Since UF's class in 2015 had a 247 composite ranking of 21 and UF's class of 2016 had a 247 composite ranking of 12, I think we could agree:

1. 20 or worse and worries are enhanced a good deal.
2. 12 to 20 still concerned and the closer to 20 the greater the concern.
3. 11 or better, worries are reduced.

Of course the bottom line is that Muschamp was fired for failing to put a decent offense on the field. McElwain was hired to solve that problem and win games. He has failed to solve the offensive problem he was hired to fix. So ultimately fixing the offense matters much much much more than recruiting rankings.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
I think we have iterated to a metric. Since UF's class in 2015 had a 247 composite ranking of 21 and UF's class of 2016 had a 247 composite ranking of 12, I think we could agree:

1. 20 or worse and worries are enhanced a good deal.
2. 12 to 20 still concerned and the closer to 20 the greater the concern.
3. 11 or better, worries are reduced.

Of course the bottom line is that Muschamp was fired for failing to put a decent offense on the field. McElwain was hired to solve that problem and win games. He has failed to solve the offensive problem he was hired to fix. So ultimately fixing the offense matters much much much more than recruiting rankings.

I agree with almost all of this. The only difference for me is that I don't think the rankings are all that accurate after the first 4 or 5 truly elite classes. The difference between the 11th ranked class and the 15th ranked class is just guess work in my opinion. However, I do agree that the further down the rankings one goes the greater the degree of doubt. I would find 11 much more comforting than 14 even though I honestly don't think there is much difference between the two.

I have to put in the standard disclaimer for Law and Swamp Donkey. Yes I agree that rankings matter and stars count. Once again, I am not saying that recruiting is not important. No, I don't work at the UAA and I am not related to any current or former coaches or staff members employed by the University of Florida.

It is possible for reasonable people to disagree.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't care what Rivals says. If you are picking Rivals or Scout or 247's own ranking you can be cherry picking. If you pick a composite or average ranking, then you can not be cherry picking.

I honestly don't care, but I believe it is the service of choice here. I don't follow recruiting unless we are talking about it on a thread.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I agree with almost all of this. The only difference for me is that I don't think the rankings are all that accurate after the first 4 or 5 truly elite classes. The difference between the 11th ranked class and the 15th ranked class is just guess work in my opinion. However, I do agree that the further down the rankings one goes the greater the degree of doubt. I would find 11 much more comforting than 14 even though I honestly don't think there is much difference between the two.

I have to put in the standard disclaimer for Law and Swamp Donkey. Yes I agree that rankings matter and stars count. Once again, I am not saying that recruiting is not important. No, I don't work at the UAA and I am not related to any current or former coaches or staff members employed by the University of Florida.

It is possible for reasonable people to disagree.

I do agree that a 5 slot move might not mean that much. I think a 10 slot difference even down the list at positions 20 or 30 can have information, though I think one of Spurrier's greatest classes might have been rank 13th.

That 13th ranked class was a small class. UF right now has only 14 players committed according to 247. Many of the classes ranked above UF have many more players committed and several have lower per player averages than UF.

The fewer players UF has committed can be a bad sign that this staff can't close, a good sign that this staff is in on players lots of people want or a neutral sign that UF is in a state where there is competition for players unlike say Louisiana.

This class is not yet finished. There will be players added, some players will flip to or away from UF, etc. So in less than 2 months we will know and can give a legit evaluation of how this staff is progressing recruiting wise. Until then, complaining or cheerleading is unlikely to change anything.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Would you consider a class that ends up 7th to 8th in the SEC horrible or is that an acceptable new standard? Especially if the class is light on where the biggest needs are.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Let's set expectations now and divide SEC rankings into 3rds:
1-4) I'll take it
5-9) Ho-hum
10-14) :chickenlittle:

Most everybody else's classes are full or close to full. We have 11-15 spots to fill. If 5-6 of them are 4*s we could possibly finish 2nd or 3rd.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Recruiting should be treated like a war campaign. UF does battle against Bama, FSU, Clemson, etc.
Study the specific terrain to be able to make the most successful approach. Know your "enemy" (competing
schools) so to defuse their appeal, to top their appeal, etc.

Get a marketing package together. Do not clutter a studs mind with UF's academic prowess if he plans to
major in a simple non-studious career. Find the things that most likely matter to him and very repeatedly show
how that stuff abounds at UF. Leave no stone unturned e.g. find out a 5-star loves to surf and point out there are
no decent waves in the Gulf (FSU) and the Atlantic is just 1.5 hours away from Gainesville. (no stone unturned)
Eliminate foolish disorganization ... say, like offering only one of the Gaddy twins.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Would you consider a class that ends up 7th to 8th in the SEC horrible or is that an acceptable new standard? Especially if the class is light on where the biggest needs are.

Is this a serious question?

I understand and share the concerns with recruiting. I don't think anyone on this board would find it acceptable to finish ranked 8th in the SEC.

Why would you ask me that?

Would you consider a class that ends up 7th to 8th in the SEC horrible? Is just a question.

Would you consider a class that ends up 7th to 8th in the SEC horrible or is that an acceptable new standard? Is a subtle way of discrediting the person to whom the question is directed.

For example: Are you against beating women and puppies?
as opposed to
Are you against beating women and puppies or is that an acceptable new standard?

The second one places judgement and is designed to make people think the person might just be for it.

Last edited:

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Recruiting should be treated like a war campaign. UF does battle against Bama, FSU, Clemson, etc.
Study the specific terrain to be able to make the most successful approach. Know your "enemy" (competing
schools) so to defuse their appeal, to top their appeal, etc.

Get a marketing package together. Do not clutter a studs mind with UF's academic prowess if he plans to
major in a simple non-studious career. Find the things that most likely matter to him and very repeatedly show
how that stuff abounds at UF. Leave no stone unturned e.g. find out a 5-star loves to surf and point out there are
no decent waves in the Gulf (FSU) and the Atlantic is just 1.5 hours away from Gainesville. (no stone unturned)
Eliminate foolish disorganization ... say, like offering only one of the Gaddy twins.

I agree. In my opinion this is the type of huge advantage some schools get by having a massive support staff.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know if I can take this thread anymore, it's gotten downright rational. No more obsessive hand wringing, no more sophomoric name calling of the coaches, no more belittling of another's point of view. Somebody insult somebody, quick!

Slug

I fcuking hate people.
Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2014
I don't know if I can take this thread anymore, it's gotten downright rational. No more obsessive hand wringing, no more sophomoric name calling of the coaches, no more belittling of another's point of view. Somebody insult somebody, quick!

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Is this a serious question?

I understand and share the concerns with recruiting. I don't think anyone on this board would find it acceptable to finish ranked 8th in the SEC.

Why would you ask me that?

Would you consider a class that ends up 7th to 8th in the SEC horrible? Is just a question.

Would you consider a class that ends up 7th to 8th in the SEC horrible or is that an acceptable new standard? Is a subtle way of discrediting the person to whom the question is directed.

For example: Are you against beating women and puppies?
as opposed to
Are you against beating women and puppies or is that an acceptable new standard?

The second one places judgement and is designed to make people think the person might just be for it.

That can get you a 15th or so ranked class now nationally I think and you seem to think that can be acceptable if I read you right.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Stfu, moron.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator