Gator Basketball Chandler Parsons Reflecting on his UF time

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The story about Billy Donovan - that’s what I hope gator basketball gets back to. He was just such a great coach. I don’t think we’ll ever have anybody like him again

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The story about Billy Donovan - that’s what I hope gator basketball gets back to. He was just such a great coach. I don’t think we’ll ever have anybody like him again

We won’t. He was truly one of a kind.

Parsons became a favorite of mine as well. Happy to see him being honored.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
He's one of my favorite Gator bball players--wasn't as highly-rated as a few of the other guys from that recruiting class, but worked hard and ended up having a great NBA career.

Hit some legendary 3s and his put-back/alley-opp dunks would always bring down the house.

HumbleGator

Nov 4, 2017
He's one of my favorite Gator bball players--wasn't as highly-rated as a few of the other guys from that recruiting class, but worked hard and ended up having a great NBA career.

Hit some legendary 3s and his put-back/alley-opp dunks would always bring down the house.
Yep…even played 2nd fiddle to his HS teammate Nick Calethes.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Winning one NCAA title is a huge deal. It's so hard to put into perspective how big it was to win back-to-back titles. The format makes it highly improbable. And yet, there we were, a football school, indulging over consecutive seasons in the ultimate hoops glory.

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
Winning one NCAA title is a huge deal. It's so hard to put into perspective how big it was to win back-to-back titles. The format makes it highly improbable. And yet, there we were, a football school, indulging over consecutive seasons in the ultimate hoops glory.

Which is why I always felt in some ways he is the greatest coach in UF history

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
Ironically, Parsons actually blossomed after Calathes left…that team he was on his senior year with Macklin, Tyus and Boynton was very good…too bad they were a bad officiating crew away from the FF….they deserved a better ending

OBG

Lifetime Member
Nov 14, 2017

Ironically, Parsons actually blossomed after Calathes left…that team he was on his senior year with Macklin, Tyus and Boynton was very good…too bad they were a bad officiating crew away from the FF….they deserved a better ending

That was a stacked team, including Billy's second most successful class

Kenny Boynton So
Vernon Macklin Sr
Erik Murphy So
Chandler Parsons Sr
Mike Rosario Jr
Alex Tyus Sr
Erving Walker J
Scottie Wilbekin Fr
Will Yeguete Fr
Big Pat Young Fr
Casey Prather Fr

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
The thing I loved about Parsons was he really believed in the vision Billy saw for him and developing into a complete player. He could drive, shoot from the outside, post up, rebound, pass, play D. Billy really humbled those guys and turned them Parsons into a player. So kudos to Parsons for sticking through the hard years and opening himself up to learning from the coaches.

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
That was a stacked team, including Billy's second most successful class

Kenny Boynton So
Vernon Macklin Sr
Erik Murphy So
Chandler Parsons Sr
Mike Rosario Jr
Alex Tyus Sr
Erving Walker J
Scottie Wilbekin Fr
Will Yeguete Fr
Big Pat Young Fr
Casey Prather Fr

Yep....totally forgot about Murphy....knock down shooter in his own right....I am not saying Calathes was a problem but after he left, we began to lay the foundation for one more big run....it saddens me to watch those games seeing a packed raucous O Dome to what we are now...not many things are better now than yesteryear

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.