Charlie Strong to Miami

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Strong isn't a good coach. Great person, good recruiter, lousy coach. This hire doesn't bother me at all. His only good defenses at UF were when Mattison was here to babysit him (i.e. get him out of his lousy prevent defense with the lead).

Miami will be tough on the trail for a couple of years, but I think we'll do better on the field. It's been said on this board before (sofla), but, if a kid chooses to go to Miami over us, we didn't want him anyway.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Considering Charlie has been fired over and over again for gross incompetency over the last ten years, I'm not sure how this is bad news.

I heard he was too soft. Players today need discipline and they took advantage.

I think it hurt Kerwin's reputation at USF.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I heard he was too soft. Players today need discipline and they took advantage.

I think it hurt Kerwin's reputation at USF.

I’m not sure about that. If anything his reputation at Texas was that he was too much of hard*** and ran off a ton of the Brown leftovers. Charlie’s an old school, no nonsense guy. Whether or not he’s suited to be a HC is obviously a different discussion, but I don’t think he was run over by his players.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I’m not sure about that. If anything his reputation at Texas was that he was too much of hard*** and ran off a ton of the Brown leftovers. Charlie’s an old school, no nonsense guy. Whether or not he’s suited to be a HC is obviously a different discussion, but I don’t think he was run over by his players.

Either Way...I like Strong. He may need to stay a DC...He is not a HC but he can recruit.

But like you say, He's old school and this is the "Brave New College Football"

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Either Way...I like Strong. He may need to stay a DC...He is not a HC but he can recruit.

But like you say, He's old school and this is the "Brave New College Football"

Me too. He’s always been a great guy and they will have success in recruiting. Still torn on whether or not he could be a head coach. It may have just been lightning in a bottle those few years at Louisville. But I also firmly believe that the Texas fiasco was as much them as it was him. He showed he can manage a team but was never the guy to come in and rebuild. I don’t think it’s a race issue, because they basically did the same thing with Herman despite him having much more success. They are just very poorly run as a football program. Usf as well. In any event, he seems content to be an assistant.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018

:racist:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Ike has been coaching in the NFL not college. Who knows how well he recruits? Colbert has a good reputation as a recruiter and has been in the college game for many years. Ike was not retained by Pittsburgh after the season. Would he have left there early if CBN had asked? I think we needed a WR coach pretty early in the process as we were trying for some of the few good ones left. Also Colbert and CBN have a prior relationship from when both were on Saban's staff.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Me too, but not sure what else Ike would have brought to the table. Plus he's a Louisiana guy originally. If there's one state the new staff probably has covered, it's Louisiana.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
What the hell makes you say this? Because Hilliard once wore the orange and blue?

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think CBN has this so far. Let Ike get some SEC time and away from the NFL. If one thing I have seen Napier reaching out to former Gators in various ways. Ike may have to show what he can do in the SEC and recruiting. If he does a solid job and well, I can see CBN hiring someone like him. He's already brought Peterson home.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Hopefully, BN can pick up prior Gators down the road, as they're honing their craft and where we need improvement. Go Gators.!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator