Chatter Golf Sub-Forum

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Like Duke Kahanamoku used to say, the best surfer on the beach is the guy who is having the most fun.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Interesting take. Interesting outcome.

Shaft lengths are all cut to a factory determined length. They aren't cut to the distance you need them to be based on your stance, arm and leg length.

Irons are made with a factory determined lie angle progressing through the set. They aren't bent to the angle you need them to be based on the shaft length and your stance.

Clubs leave the factory within a margin of tolerance for the specs above. Just because it says 7 on the bottom of the iron doesn't mean that loft is evenly spaced between 6 and 8.

There is probably some more reasons than just needing practice that you constantly hit your long irons left or right. The lie angle could be to much which will cause the heel to strike first more and more as you go up the set of clubs resulting in the toe closing through on impact and a left going left shot. Or you have a club in the set that no matter what you do you can't hit. Or you hit that 8 iron a country mile but that 7 iron don't go nowhere.

Y'all need to find a guy who can make sure the clubs you are swinging are true (loft and lie check) as well as fit you. Its amazing how much better you will start playing when the question of distance and direction is isolated to your influence on the ball instead of mixing in some jacked up clubs to it. Used or new...get them fitted and checked.

Last edited:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Question for you golfers…the group you usually play with, more like…

upload_2021-8-6_11-26-6.jpeg

Or

upload_2021-8-6_11-27-45.jpeg

I’ve played with both, particularly when I played in the gangsomes, and though I have a much better time playing with the “Al Czerviks,” I find that I can elevate my game easier against the a-hole “Judge Smails” types. Can’t stand the thought of losing to a jackass.

Last edited:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Question for you golfers…the group you usually play with, more like…

Or

I’ve played with both, particularly when I played in the gangsomes, and though I have a much better time playing with the “Al Czeviks,” I find that I can elevate my game easier against the a-hole “Judge Smails” types. Can’t stand the thought of losing to a jackass.

Especially if you lose to them b/c of the ole Billy Baroo

upload_2021-8-6_15-14-16.jpeg

Gator by the Sea

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2017
I’ve been around golf for most of my life (I’m 48 now). I’ve caddied at many places around the country and I’ve found that every place is a bit like Bushwood. There’s an Al Cervik, a Ty Webb, a Carl and a Danny Noonan everywhere. The characters are the same, only the names change.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I’ve been around golf for most of my life (I’m 48 now). I’ve caddied at many places around the country and I’ve found that every place is a bit like Bushwood. There’s an Al Cervik, a Ty Webb, a Carl and a Danny Noonan everywhere. The characters are the same, only the names change.
Ever loop for the Lama himself?

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So which grip do you use? Interlocking? Vardon? 10 finger? Any particular reason other than that’s what somebody taught you initially?

When I was first learning, I was taught the interlocking. As I played more and got a little better and was reading on the game, I realized I was holding the club with a death grip. Not only was I having a terrible time leaving the face open through contact, but I was destroying my grips in no time. Changed to the Vardon and things got better. Controlling the club face was easier. Might’ve just been consciously knowing I was gripping too tight. Anyhow, that was over 30 years ago and I haven’t felt the need to change my grip since.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Once I learned to play a decent game I took golf way to seriously. I played almost always with pros or guys who were future pros. But occasionally we'd have

In our group for entertainment value. And man did he entertain. There were times when we'd be falling down laughing at/with him. He was at his best when he hit a really bad shot (which was often) and then went all tin cup.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
So which grip do you use? Interlocking? Vardon? 10 finger? Any particular reason other than that’s what somebody taught you initially?

When I was first learning, I was taught the interlocking. As I played more and got a little better and was reading on the game, I realized I was holding the club with a death grip. Not only was I having a terrible time leaving the face open through contact, but I was destroying my grips in no time. Changed to the Vardon and things got better. Controlling the club face was easier. Might’ve just been consciously knowing I was gripping too tight. Anyhow, that was over 30 years ago and I haven’t felt the need to change my grip since.

Even though I tried to emulate Jack, I used Vardon. My hands were too big to use interlocking.

Gator by the Sea

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2017
Vardon. Learned from my dad when I was 8 and never even thought of trying anything else. I’ve been a single digit handicap most of my life so no need to fix what ain’t broke.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Interlocking. Im a product of the 70s. Classic C swing and interlocking grip. I do rock the left hand low putting grip though.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Any hidden gems you guys know of in N Fla.
For the price I play Fleming island golf club, Palatka golf club, tight as hell so keep your head on a swivel. There's also Juliette falls south of Ocala that's well worth the price.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
Probably stiffed him on the tip
Summer of 1969 I caddied at the Broadmoor at the base of Cheyenne Mountain near Colorado Springs. Dow Finsterwald was the pro there. He held a senior invitational (I dont think it was an official PGA event) and the caddy master stuck me with a miserable old bastard. He played terrible, threw clubs and blamed me every chance he could. After the round he dissapeared, no tip, and that's all we got was tips. I complained to the caddy master and he said, "Oh yeah, that reminds me--he did the same thing last year."

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@wrpgator Dang. The old guy wasn’t Ben Dover, by chance? Sounds more like Judge Smails, only Smails had more of a giving heart. We’re you something like this?

upload_2021-8-10_21-19-48.jpeg

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Summer of 1969 I caddied at the Broadmoor at the base of Cheyenne Mountain near Colorado Springs. Dow Finsterwald was the pro there. He held a senior invitational (I dont think it was an official PGA event) and the caddy master stuck me with a miserable old bastard. He played terrible, threw clubs and blamed me every chance he could. After the round he dissapeared, no tip, and that's all we got was tips. I complained to the caddy master and he said, "Oh yeah, that reminds me--he did the same thing last year."

@wrpgator I believe you were the caddy for the Dalai Lama himself. Story must be true.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
@wrpgator Dang. The old guy wasn’t Ben Dover, by chance? Sounds more like Judge Smails, only Smails had more of a giving heart. We’re you something like this?

Haha! Not far off from that, but no tie and golfers hadn't used hickory shafts for some time. One of the others in the foursome felt bad for me and gave me a ten for taking his clubs out to his car. The mountain course at the Broadmoor is a bastard to caddy carrying the big leather bags from that era (similar to Al Czervik's bag but without the wet bar). Most people I caddied for were nice folks and tipped well. Some of the Mexican caddies carried two bags and pulled two rounds a day. Those guys were awesome. At 14 years old all I could manage was 1 round--my dad would drop me off about 6:30 a.m, then if no ride home (1 car fam, dad at work) the walk back to Widefield, Co. was about 10 miles--thankfully mostly downhill.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
@wrpgator I believe you were the caddy for the Dalai Lama himself. Story must be true.

Right, it was close to that but without the glaciers! This guy hit his ball into a ravine with a stinking pond in the bottom and made me go get the ball. I never found it, but wallowing in the muck I ended up with some type of toe fungus that compelled me to forego my caddying career. It took a year for the Army doctors (Army brat) to figure out what the infection was--I couldn't wear shoes for several months--all for a sumbich that stiffed me on the tip. For a long time, I judged caddying at the Broadmoor the worst job I ever had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator