Cheerleaders: Sports or not?

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I love cheerleaders. My first GF was one and in that outfit she was delectable. But on the sidelines in HS basketball (annoying) in football (never noticed while playing)

In high school my girlfriend got pissed at me for saying that while playing in a football game we paid no attention to the cheerleaders at all.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
There are 2 rules for it to be a sport.

You have to break a sweat while playing and there must be a proponent to keep your opponent from scoring.

Cheerleading doesn't have the latter. Bowling has neither. Billiards plays defense but no swesting. Golf has no defense but can sweat if you drink enough beer.
Cheerleaders don’t have the ability to prevent scoring?

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
It's 7:37 PM BTW. You ever get tired of being wrong?

bull horns GIF

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
A sport? No, of course not. "Sport" implies competition. Competition that is on the field at the same time physically impeding your progress.
It's an exhibition. Like ice dancing or fishing or any track and field.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
There are 2 rules for it to be a sport.

You have to break a sweat while playing and there must be a proponent to keep your opponent from scoring.

Cheerleading doesn't have the latter. Bowling has neither. Billiards plays defense but no swesting. Golf has no defense but can sweat if you drink enough beer.
I would agree that cheerleading isn't a sport for the reason that it has no defense. I don't think that sweat has anything to do with it though. IMO, track & field events are sports and most of the time sweat is involved but no defense. The objective of outrunning or out jumping or out throwing by their competitive nature deem them to be sports.

Also, IMO, any activity that relies on judges scoring would not be a sport. i.e., figure skating, cheering, dancing, gymnastics, etc.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Track and Field is no more sport than is a pissing contest. Some, mostly because of genetics, can just piss further than others. Also, sports tend to be interesting to watch.

I'll allow hunting as long as what you are hunting has a good chance of killing you.
And I suppose motor racing. These days drivers have learned that it helps to be in good shape, they actively block if not try to wreck each other, and death or serious injury can occur. So I guess they have an argument.
Pretty much anything that is judged or simply measured ain't sport. Not that it isn't athletic.

Cheerleading is athletic.
But trying to bang a cheerleader is sport. ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.