Chip Kelly to UCLA: $4 Mil/Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We still have a shot at Kelly....no one thrown in the towel just yet!!!!!!!!

I agree it may not be a 100% done deal with UCLA. There is no reason for them not to make it public he is their new coach today if that is the case since they played last night.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I can't think of a more depressing hire than Strong. Guy had three consecutive loosing seasons at Texas. That takes a special brand of incompetence. If we hire Strong, we should also leave the SEC and join the Sun Belt. We can then play all our games on Friday's in front of a few hundred disinterested fans.

"We tried" that's the mantra of losers everywhere. Winners close. End of story.
Strong was never going to make it at Texas. Square peg, round hole. Talk about a stupid hire.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And if he doesn't like recruiting . . . that's what got him in trouble in Oregon - hiring that firm . . . .
BTW everyone does that. It is much cheaper than hiring a giant staff and sending them to HS football games all over the country. But you.cant pay $25k for one report, or at least if you do and the scouting report actually involves $20k of it going into the recruits pocket youre assumed to have known or should have known.

Its a little too late for WDWHA when we packed up the executives and flew to NH w contract in hand.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Relax, guys. We're making a play for Frost and Norvell's still out there. Sky is still up there, not down here.

If you're at all like me, it's a mixed bag not getting Kelly. Sure, he would have brought excitement and innovation to the job and given us real hope of getting right back in the mix. But the talk of Kelly and all his baggage is not without merit. He's not a transparent manager, he can be difficult to get along with and he sure as hell doesn't like to recruit, which is at odds with being successful in the SEC.

Could he have recruited himself? I'm not sure that's the best of bets. I'm pretty sure Frost can.

I just want a guy who wants us as much as we want him and who we can plan on being here awhile.
Hell, Kelly is still out there. Nothing but speculation by people.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What I'd like to know is how Ohio State managed to get a quarter-billion out of Nike.
Simple, winners sell.

No one pays much for a team in the bottom half of the SEC.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Oh no, the “optics” are bad! Let’s not take a chance because if we fail we look bad. Loser speak.

Speak it brother! We took a chance and as some say, we swung for the fences. If we had not tried, these same folks would be claiming we didn't do enough. Some are even claiming, without and knowledge, that we low balled Kelly. Jeezz.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It’s done, book it!

@PeteThamel: SOURCES: UCLA is finalizing a deal to make Chip Kelly the next coach there. An agreement is expected by the end of the weekend.
Even if true...it's still not signed. ;)

And if he does not like Florida, I do not want him here, especially if we pay top dollar....

Sundaysunday

Jul 27, 2014
I can't wait until the back story comes out and we find out what really happened with Kelly and UF. I was thinking about Kelly and him being an arsehole but for all I know he may have told SS several days ago that he wasn't coming to UF.

My biggest gripe with this whole thing is that UF had a two week head start and it feels like we squandered it.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Simple, winners sell.

No one pays much for a team in the bottom half of the SEC.

Part and parcel. Foley didn't exactly shop this well when he extended Nike with barely a ripple in the water in 2014. But, yes, winning begets winning, which is why we need to get this thing done and right.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It’s done, book it!

@PeteThamel: SOURCES: UCLA is finalizing a deal to make Chip Kelly the next coach there. An agreement is expected by the end of the weekend.
You know how many of these tweets we’ve seen from connected UF people in the last two weeks?

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
It’s done, book it!

Don't you find it funny that of all the "sources" over the last 2 weeks.....yahoo is the only one that is accurate?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Kelly knew what he wanted, which is why (this is my opinion) he only committed to an oral agreement with Florida. UCLA was in front of him the entire time and his agent played it to the hilt. So now he's gonna be stupidly rich instead of just rich.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member