Chump already screwing up SoCar

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
Champ is a good guy. He only needs one more year. He had too many injuries. Urban left him a bare cupboard. He's just intense. Our kids need that.

Some of those were actually true. And I think a lot of the folks that said them are loyal Gators who wanted to give him the fairest shot possible. Unfortunately, those kinds of conditions don't hold true forever.

What does stay true for the long haul is character and confidence. The inability to see flaws in his coaching philosophy and to make necessary adjustments, the inability to have a clue about how to grow players in all aspects of the team (not just the parts he knows), and the inability to create a team culture that performs better in the clutch (vs. much worse) are the kinds of things that ultimately doomed him at UF and are likely to doom him and USCe and anywhere else he goes. The complete lack of leadership presence and humiliating sideline antics don't help either.

We soooo traded up with Coach Mac!

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Champ is a good guy. He only needs one more year. He had too many injuries. Urban left him a bare cupboard. He's just intense. Our kids need that.

You forgot, "he's cleaning up the program, he's a players coach, it takes time to change a culture, you guys just don't understand X's and O's" and last but not least, my all time favorite, "you're just not a real gator."

A number of those were the go-to phrases for a specific individual, I'll leave it to the reader to determine who.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Watching games was painful and even when we won it just wasnt fun. There was more stress involved than anything. I cant stand the idiot and the level he took us to.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Watching games was painful and even when we won it just wasnt fun. There was more stress involved than anything. I cant stand the idiot and the level he took us to.
Not enough likes on the net for this statement, absolute gospel.

It was a stressful, nightmarish, disaster watching the team under his guidance. Even when we won it wasn't fun at all and when the game was over you weren't excited or even happy, just relieved that the ordeal had passed and you hadn't keeled over dead from a heart attack or stroke brought on by undue stress and frustration. The only 2 games of his entire 4 years that were anything other than pure unadulterated misery from start to finish were the year 2 tennessee and halfassu games. And even they were ugly.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I have a friend who has been a bull gator for years and has 7 seats in the champions club that I have been with them on several occasions. I always told them if they wanted to sell me 2 seats to just letme know. During his time here they were trying to sell me the seats at a discount. Sad time for gator football for sure. But, the good news is he is gone and we are well on our way back!!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You forgot, "he's cleaning up the program, he's a players coach, it takes time to change a culture, you guys just don't understand X's and O's" and last but not least, my all time favorite, "you're just not a real gator."

A number of those were the go-to phrases for a specific individual, I'll leave it to the reader to determine who.
:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

Ouch. Some people have to be squirming.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
:lol2:

Every time I see that I laugh out loud. I kinda wonder what they are really talking about, whatever it is must be a riot.

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
Man was that true! Even the one year we were winning was agonizing to watch! Guess it was foreshadowing of the pain to come when we needed a blocked punt that year to beat Louisiana-Lafayette.

Though it didn't last, obviously, it sure was nice to actually enjoy watching a win last year - at least during the part of the season when we still had an actual QB playing the position. Hopefully our OLine will gel and our key players will stay healthy so we can enjoy an entire season this year.

It really has been quite awhile since I felt optimistic for this team.

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
Define loyal? LOL. Did you think he deserved more time after GSU?

At that point I was really torn. On the one hand, the number of injuries to key players was one of the worst cases in NCAA history. On the other hand, really good coaches find a way to win against inferior opponents and even with the injuries we had better athletes than a 7-4 FCS team. The most frustrating part was that it seemed the defense was surprised that they were running the triple option which is pretty much all they've done for years. How could that happen when our coach was supposed to be a defensive genius?

So, as a loyal Gator, I ended up feeling that I'd be okay if Muschamp was fired that year, but also felt that given the injuries I could also understand and support it if they gave him one more year to prove he could actually do the job. I was even somewhat optimistic going into that year after he hired Roper since it looked like he'd figured out that he needed to delegate offense kind of like SOS had always delegated defense during his run at UF. Once the season began, however, I quickly realized that was not going to be the case and was really ready for him to be gone especially after the humiliating loss to Missouri (didn't help at all that I live in St, Louis). Even the Georgia win that year didn't feel like anything he'd really made happen since that game was more like a fluke win at the hands of another perpetually underachieving coach than a real accomplishment.

As an aside, I think one of SOS' greatest accomplishments for the Gators was rallying USCe to come back to beat us that year because I truly think Muschamp might have gotten one more year had that game not been the complete melt down it turned out to be. Who knows where we'd be now had that happened. One more year of his "leadership" might have cost us another 5 years of rebuilding given how much depth we'd lost at key positions by that point.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
FVK Muschump and the bulldog he rode in on. I hope he looses every game from now on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator