Cocks vs LSU game moved from Columbia to Baton Rouge

ItsDookie87

...it's best to let him finish
BANNED
Sep 8, 2014
I imagine having to move a game in a couple days can be difficult but to just move it to the away teams stadium doesn't seem exactly fair. LSU is going to wear white and I'm sure their fans will root for SC during the game. SC was probably going to get smacked anyways but now LSU has a bit of an easier schedule before our game. Discuss

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13828320/south-carolina-gamecocks-move-game-vs-lsu-tigers-baton-rouge ​

ItsDookie87

...it's best to let him finish
BANNED
Sep 8, 2014
That's what I thought would happen if it needed to be moved, the Panthers even have a bye this week.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The only logical place is Charlotte so we must assume that the greedy NFL owner (I know greedy and NFL owner are redundant) made it too difficult for the teams to pull it off.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Sucks for USCe. They need all the help they can get this year.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I think Jacksonville would have been a good choice too.

I'd rather a "neutral" site than Death Valley full of drunk coon-asses.

Alex.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
AlexDaGator;n293045 said:
I think Jacksonville would have been a good choice too.

I'd rather a "neutral" site than Death Valley full of drunk coon-asses.

Alex.

Yesterday, I-95 was still closed in SC. Not that SC would take buses from Columbia to Jax, but if they were, they might not have been able to easily get there. It may not even be easy to get out of Columbia, period.

USC has already played a game in Charlotte - their fans probably wouldn't be able to get there, anyway. Part of the statement made mention of the safety of the fans in traveling to the game, and it might have been really difficult for many USC fans to even get to Charlotte. It sucks for USC that they'll have to play in Baton Rouge, but when you consider involving the minimum number of people traveling, this was probably the best choice.

Steve's boys were gonna get their clocks cleaned, regardless of wherever they played this one. Given that LSU always wears white at home, the least they can do is "designate" USC as the "home" team, but maybe USC will insist on being the visitor so that they can get the coin flip.

The report quoted here in Savannah on our CBS affiliate, WTOC, stated that USC's prez and AD thanked LSU's counterparts in their efforts to arrange this at the last moment, and that they're looking into figuring out how to reimburse their fans for a game they won't get to see in person.

Given the tragedy of what we're seeing just 60 to 80 miles north of us here in Savannah (thankfully, we only got 2-3 inches of rain, not 2 to 3 feet), this pales in comparison. Plenty of USC fans and alumni lost more than a football game in the past five days, many lost their homes.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What about Atlanta? This is completely unfair for both USCe and the Gators next week. Instead of two teams who had a good amount of travel before the night game, now one is home before the power match up.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Two reasons it isn't in Charlotte:

(1) Panthers completely re-sodded the turf at B of A Stadium after the last home game knowing this was their bye week and they don't have another home game until 10/25.

(2) NASCAR is in town for the race Saturday night. Hotel rooms are at a premium, not to mention law enforcement, medical, etc. that you would need to schedule for another major event. You likely couldn't pull that part off in 48 hours. The Panthers have, by design, been off or out of town when the fall race takes place at CMS. You can number on one hand the number of games in their history they have played at home when NASCAR comes in....it isn't many.

They were even considering Jacksonville. No other options. They'll be lucky to play their homecoming game next week against Vandy at the rate it is going down there. Half of that city still doesn't have safe running water.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n293050 said:
What about Atlanta? This is completely unfair for both USCe and the Gators next week. Instead of two teams who had a good amount of travel before the night game, now one is home before the power match up.

Just checked, they couldn't do it. My "other alma mater," Georgia State, where I earned my Masters, is playing in the GA Dome Saturday. Georgia State is hosting Appalachian State. So the GA Dome was not available.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I'm guessing finances were involved. USC isn't very good this year and now is losing a sh*t-ton of money by having to scrap a home game. Probably went something like "Okay, we'll play at your stadium as sacrificial lambs, but it's going to cost you what we would have netted in an average home game revenue."

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
SavannahGator;n293054 said:
Just checked, they couldn't do it. My "other alma mater," Georgia State, where I earned my Masters, is playing in the GA Dome Saturday. Georgia State is hosting Appalachian State. So the GA Dome was not available.

Thanks for checking Savannah. I didn't know it as taken that day. :highfive:

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n293059 said:
Thanks for checking Savannah. I didn't know it as taken that day. :highfive:

Makes you wonder, if they would have kicked at noon and Georgia State moved their kick back to say 8 pm, it may have been doable. You see the big arenas do it all the time for NBA/NHL games, being this would have been two college games on a fake turf field, that wouldn't have been too difficult. The only thing might be the NFL game there on Sunday could have interfered.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
lagator;n293057 said:
I'm guessing finances were involved. USC isn't very good this year and now is losing a sh*t-ton of money by having to scrap a home game. Probably went something like "Okay, we'll play at your stadium as sacrificial lambs, but it's going to cost you what we would have netted in an average home game revenue."

I guarantee USCjr is getting plenty of compensation for this one.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
SavannahGator;n293049 said:
Yesterday, I-95 was still closed in SC. Not that SC would take buses from Columbia to Jax, but if they were, they might not have been able to easily get there. It may not even be easy to get out of Columbia, period.

USC has already played a game in Charlotte - their fans probably wouldn't be able to get there, anyway. Part of the statement made mention of the safety of the fans in traveling to the game, and it might have been really difficult for many USC fans to even get to Charlotte. It sucks for USC that they'll have to play in Baton Rouge, but when you consider involving the minimum number of people traveling, this was probably the best choice.

Steve's boys were gonna get their clocks cleaned, regardless of wherever they played this one. Given that LSU always wears white at home, the least they can do is "designate" USC as the "home" team, but maybe USC will insist on being the visitor so that they can get the coin flip.

The report quoted here in Savannah on our CBS affiliate, WTOC, stated that USC's prez and AD thanked LSU's counterparts in their efforts to arrange this at the last moment, and that they're looking into figuring out how to reimburse their fans for a game they won't get to see in person.

Given the tragedy of what we're seeing just 60 to 80 miles north of us here in Savannah (thankfully, we only got 2-3 inches of rain, not 2 to 3 feet), this pales in comparison. Plenty of USC fans and alumni lost more than a football game in the past five days, many lost their homes.

I get what you're saying.

I was thinking there would be some USCe fans that would be able to make it from S. Carolina, but mostly I was thinking it would be S. Carolina fans living in Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, etc., as well as LSU fans from all over, and other college football fans who might want to catch a game. I think Gator fans in Jax would come out in force and would support Spurrier, and get home in time to watch the Mizzou game on TV.

As for the team getting out of Columbia, it's not any harder to get to Jax than it is to get to Red Stick.

I'm just saying, they could have issued vouchers by e-mail to any USCe fan with a ticket that did want to go (ditto for students) and sell the rest of the tickets for $20 each. I'd rather play in front of 30K with half the crowd cheering for me than in front of 95K all cheering against me.

Alex.

dubster1

Chip Kelly is a done deal
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
@ss whippin will be the same regardless where its played

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
gardnerwebbgator;n293064 said:
Makes you wonder, if they would have kicked at noon and Georgia State moved their kick back to say 8 pm, it may have been doable. You see the big arenas do it all the time for NBA/NHL games, being this would have been two college games on a fake turf field, that wouldn't have been too difficult. The only thing might be the NFL game there on Sunday could have interfered.

There IS an NFL game Sunday. Today is my 60th birthday, and my two adult sons are taking me to the Falcons vs Redskins on Sunday as my present.

While it's true that GA Dome crew has OFTEN "turned around" the Dome from college to pro overnight (Sat to Sunday), but to host TWO college games on that field in ONE day, and the added security, etc, I just don't see how the city of Atlanta was going to deal with that. I bet it was never even considered. Plus, FWIW, it's GA State's Homecoming, and they've got events planned before and after the game as well.

And remember, if those who are suggesting ATL because the USC fans could make it, well, I imagine most of their fans in SC (I'm sure they do have a lot in ATL metro area, but still . . . ) wouldn't be able to make it. They're still dealing with flooded houses and loss of everything, esp those that don't have flood insurance. Football is the last thing on their minds right now.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Happy Birthday, SG!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics