gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
1. Corndogs run table.
2. UF runs table.
3. UF gets revenge and beats Corndogs in another great game in Atlanta.

How the hell do you not put UF and LSU in the top four if this happens?

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
lagator;n307340 said:
Yup, except they would have to actually win it. It's not like it would be given to them. Win 3 in a row against the top 8 and you earned it and you'd be champ. It would also suggest your conf was over-powered if you struggled in conference then mowed through the best of all the others.
:headshake:

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
lagator;n307342 said:
Are you living on a diet of government cheese to supplement your EBT card? You're obsessed with entitlement. No one is allowing sh*t, win your Conf and you're in the playoffs. The idea of at large bids (also known as wildcards) is precisely intended to let worthy non-conference champions have a shot in case some of the conf champs are less than stellar that year. It's really not a controversial or foreign concept.

Sorry that your mom dropped you on your head so many times. You are allowing a team into the playoffs for playing in a weak conference over a team that didn't lose as much to be left out.

Example:

Noles lose to Clemson, ND, and the Gators but because they won their conference, they play in the playoffs. While a team like Ole Miss loses to the Gators and Memphis, and are left out of the playoffs. That is a horrible system that is rewarding a team for playing in a weak conference and hurting the ones playing in a stronger conference.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
WobbleGator;n307348 said:
Sorry that your mom dropped you on your head so many times. You are allowing a team into the playoffs for playing in a weak conference over a team that didn't lose as much to be left out.

Example:

Noles lose to Clemson, ND, and the Gators but because they won their conference, they play in the playoffs. While a team like Ole Miss loses to the Gators and Memphis, and are left out of the playoffs. That is a horrible system that is rewarding a team for playing in a weak conference and hurting the ones playing in a stronger conference.
Except reality shows us an undefeated Clemson team is probably going to win the ACC, and if there was an 8 team playoff an undefeated Memphis would actually have a shot of getting in. Ole Miss? Their only path in this year would be to win the SEC even though Wobble form GCMB thinks they shouldn't be "allowed" whatever the hell that means.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
lagator;n307355 said:
Except reality shows us an undefeated Clemson team is probably going to win the ACC, and if there was an 8 team playoff an undefeated Memphis would actually have a shot of getting in. Ole Miss? Their only path in this year would be to win the SEC even though Wobble form GCMB thinks they shouldn't be "allowed" whatever the hell that means.

When did I say they shouldn't be allowed? Please point to the exact time I said they shouldn't be allowed.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ae9735e4f054d78576ce85e420f81526.jpg

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gawd... I just logged into this thread for the first time. Read the 1st page and the last 2 pages and all I can say is, "whiny azz girly biotches." That's what you all sound like.

Man do I love this place!!!

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
WobbleGator;n307341 said:
If you lose more than once, you are not the best team in the nation and shouldn't be allowed to play for the championship.
Look, you just have to trust me (which I know you won't), having more teams in the playoff meaning you have to win more games in a row to be crowned champion will make you more likely to have the best team end up on top. Someone has to make up the 8 teams, having automatic bids for conf champions is LESS subjective, not more than eye test or overall record. Will a less than awesome team get in once in a while? Yes. Will a bad team win the championship? Not a chance in hell.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
lagator;n307368 said:
Look, you just have to trust me (which I know you won't), having more teams in the playoff meaning you have to win more games in a row to be crowned champion will make you more likely to have the best team end up on top. Someone has to make up the 8 teams, having automatic bids for conf champions is LESS subjective, not more than eye test or overall record. Will a less than awesome team get in once in a while? Yes. Will a bad team win the championship? Not a chance in hell.

Making the conference champs automatic bids is stupid. You just have to trust me (which i know you won't).

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There will always be rules in place to eliminate undeserving teams. Wobble's having a bad day. No way in hell does a 3 loss conference champ get automatically locked into the play-off unless every other top 5 conference team also has at least 3 losses. Common sense people...:facepalm:

Hotrod

Founding Member
R.I.P.
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
:fingertap:

Attachments

• conv_5161.jpg
    conv_5161.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 31

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
WobbleGator;n307371 said:
Making the conference champs automatic bids is stupid. You just have to trust me (which i know you won't).

Turn it around. How can you NOT include a conference champion? That won't fly with anyone even if they have 2 losses. The conference left out will scream bloody murder, and every other conference will say "that might be us next year, HELL NO!". I'd recommend NOT making it automatic, knowing they'd be in, but again the public perception would be the possibility of being left out and "OMG, BLOODY MURDER"

======================================

I do see the real possibility that going to 8 teams will not quiet the moaning of those left at the 9-10-11 spots. There would still be arguments that an undefeated Memphis at 8 is better or worse than a one loss FLA at 9, for example. Wherever the bubble lies, there will be people inside of it and those on the outside. There is no end to the moaning regardless of where you cut it off. However, I still like bumping it to 8 in that it moves more to the spirit of collegiate athletics as exemplified by March Madness. Yes, you get some crap teams in, but EVERY team has a chance. Yes, those crap teams get bounced in the first round, but they got to play. Consensus would be that the Cinderellas won't ever win the whole thing, that you've included enough of the 'top' teams that the true champion will win out. But having those 6-7-8 slots means more people get to the dance. I realize this is a business, and the warm fuzzies for putting a weak team in as a feel good story is nice but not critical to the crowning of a true champion. But tell me you won't get America behind Boise State as they face Oklahoma? You could have strong first round playoffs with 'just' the top 8 teams, or you could have matchups that engage the country in those early rounds.

Again, I prefer the 8 spots. Knowing slots 6-7-8 may be a Memphis, or it may be a one loss SEC team - doesn't matter. Cream will rise, and everyone has a chance.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
TLB;n307418 said:
Turn it around. How can you NOT include a conference champion? That won't fly with anyone even if they have 2 losses. The conference left out will scream bloody murder, and every other conference will say "that might be us next year, HELL NO!". I'd recommend NOT making it automatic, knowing they'd be in, but again the public perception would be the possibility of being left out and "OMG, BLOODY MURDER"

======================================

I do see the real possibility that going to 8 teams will not quiet the moaning of those left at the 9-10-11 spots. There would still be arguments that an undefeated Memphis at 8 is better or worse than a one loss FLA at 9, for example. Wherever the bubble lies, there will be people inside of it and those on the outside. There is no end to the moaning regardless of where you cut it off. However, I still like bumping it to 8 in that it moves more to the spirit of collegiate athletics as exemplified by March Madness. Yes, you get some crap teams in, but EVERY team has a chance. Yes, those crap teams get bounced in the first round, but they got to play. Consensus would be that the Cinderellas won't ever win the whole thing, that you've included enough of the 'top' teams that the true champion will win out. But having those 6-7-8 slots means more people get to the dance. I realize this is a business, and the warm fuzzies for putting a weak team in as a feel good story is nice but not critical to the crowning of a true champion. But tell me you won't get America behind Boise State as they face Oklahoma? You could have strong first round playoffs with 'just' the top 8 teams, or you could have matchups that engage the country in those early rounds.

Again, I prefer the 8 spots. Knowing slots 6-7-8 may be a Memphis, or it may be a one loss SEC team - doesn't matter. Cream will rise, and everyone has a chance.
Good post. What is missed in this thread (besides common sense) is that when they go to 8, which is inevitable, the real controversy would not be the conf champs getting in, which is absolutely going to happen, it's the non-conf champs since they would have played 1 less game (Big 12 will need to add a championship game if they want an auto bid). We've always just accepted that when it was a 2 team playoff, sometimes the two teams playing for the championship haven't played the same number of games. Now with four it's becoming more of an issue with the lack of a Big 12 championship game and Notre Dame, and with 8 it would really be an issue since in a sense you are rewarding the teams that didn't win their conference (unless they were the runner up and played a 13th game).

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n307291 said:
I'm not the one changing my positions on the topic. You need to deal with your indecisiveness.
Damn, you're aggravating. ;)

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Grendadgy, I'm beginning to think you aren't really banned.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n307412 said:
There will always be rules in place to eliminate undeserving teams. Wobble's having a bad day. No way in hell does a 3 loss conference champ get automatically locked into the play-off unless every other top 5 conference team also has at least 3 losses. Common sense people...:facepalm:

Guess you ignored lagator's post then because he was saying conference champs would get automatic bids. If that was the case, it is absolutely possible for a 3 loss team to be in the playoffs.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TLB;n307418 said:

Or other conferences will bitch because the automatic bid for conference champs could take a spot away from another one of their teams getting into the playoffs.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
lagator;n307448 said:
What is missed in this thread (besides common sense) is that when they go to 8, which is inevitable, the real controversy would not be the conf champs getting in, which is absolutely going to happen, it's the non-conf champs since they would have played 1 less game (Big 12 will need to add a championship game if they want an auto bid).

I'm fine if the B12 were to not have a B12 CG. There are means of crowning a conference champion without such a game, just as we have what...7 layers deep of tie breakers on who wins the SEC East? There are means to having a conference champion without a CG. But your point still stands, that CG offers a (presumably, unless you are in the ACC or sometimes the PAC12) matchup between ranked teams and a chance to bolster your resume. Overall, I *do* think the B12 goes to a CG in the near future, even if they have to add some teams and split divisions.

ND? **** ND. **** ND!!! I'm sick and tired of their special treatment, and I expect sometime in the next 6-10 yrs the rest of the nation will have had enough as well. Their special considerations for qualifying for CFP (and the BCS prior to that) will get tweaked and tweaked to the point where they have to join a conference and win the damn thing to qualify like everyone else. **** ND!

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TLB;n307756 said:
I'm fine if the B12 were to not have a B12 CG. There are means of crowing a conference champion without such a game, just as we have what...7 layers deep of tie breakers on who wins the SEC East? There are means to having a conference champion without a CG. But your point still stands, that CG offers a (presumably, unless you are in the ACC or sometimes the PAC12) matchup between ranked teams and a chance to bolster your resume. Overall, I *do* think the B12 goes to a CG in the near future, even if they have to add some teams and split divisions.

ND? **** ND. **** ND!!! I'm sick and tired of their special treatment, and I expect sometime in the next 6-10 yrs the rest of the nation will have had enough as well. Their special considerations for qualifying for CFP (and the BCS prior to that) will get tweaked and tweaked to the point where they have to join a conference and win the damn thing to qualify like everyone else. **** ND!

ND is poised, schedule wise, to join the ACC if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator