College Football Playoff Rankings

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
A team that doesn't either play for a conference championship or win a conference championship shouldn't be allowed in the playoff. Notre Dame at #5 just shows what a farce this entire system is. Pathetic.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Got a Bama friend who told me today that if Bama wins out and Ole Miss wins out that Bama should get into the playoffs regardless. Because they're just better.

I agree that if you don't win your conference you don't get a chance to play in the playoffs. Change it to round of eight and then maybe we can talk.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
GatorJ;n306911 said:
Got a Bama friend who told me today that if Bama wins out and Ole Miss wins out that Bama should get into the playoffs regardless. Because they're just better.

I agree that if you don't win your conference you don't get a chance to play in the playoffs. Change it to round of eight and then maybe we can talk.
He's right. A one loss Bama team could get into the playoff over a 2 loss SEC champ, or even more likely the SEC could be left out altogether. Almost no chance a 2 loss SEC champ could get in. On the other hand there is no way Bama could get in over a 1 loss champ, and no way a one loss champ would be left out. In other words if we win out there is no chance we get left out.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
gardnerwebbgator;n306957 said:
Pitt beats ND Saturday.
I hope so. If worse comes to worse, let's hope the SEC beats the dog crap out of the folks they play in the bowls.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n306879 said:
Meh. Like trying to decide who wins the beauty paegent before swimsuit competition...pointless.

… I think the swimsuit competition has a few points in it.??

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If you haven't figured it out yet, we are ranked low due to how we currently look on the field. No Grier, offense looks iffy. Bama is looking better.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n306911 said:

I see it that way also unless the other conference winners had more losses.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
NVGator;n306974 said:
If you haven't figured it out yet, we are ranked low due to how we currently look on the field. No Grier, offense looks iffy. Bama is looking better.

Agreed.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NVGator;n306974 said:

I'm not gonna lie, I've wondered just how bad our other QBs must be. Treon is really hard to watch at times. Then he makes you drop your jaw to the floor with some crazy heroics. I've never quite seen anything like it. I don't think the voters know what to think about our Gators. He's so inconsistent.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Here's info from Jeff Long, Arkansas AD who is on the Committee:

One-loss Alabama fell at home by six points to Ole Miss and beat Wisconsin, Texas A&M and Georgia. One-loss Florida lost on the road by a touchdown to No. 2 LSU, dominated Ole Miss by 28 points at home and also beat Georgia. Thus, the Crimson Tide got slotted No. 4 and the Gators were No. 10 in the first set of rankings released Tuesday by the College Football Playoff Selection Committee.

Welcome back to Tuesdays with Jeff Long, where the Arkansas athletic director and CFP committee chairman tries to answer the questions the latest edition of the CFP Rankings create. Yes, these weekly rankings mean little at this juncture -- the final ones on Dec. 6 truly matter -- but they do offer interesting insight into how the committee operates beyond simply saying, “We think Team X is better than Team Y.

On Tuesday, Long tried to explain the committee's evaluation of Alabama compared to Florida -- two teams he said are much closer than their ranking separation of six spots may suggest. Long cited Alabama’s three wins over teams with records above .500 compared to two such wins for Florida.

“How [Alabama] won those games that they won against quality opponents, I think that sends a strong message of why we ranked Alabama higher than Florida,” Long said.

Alabama beat Wisconsin 35-17, Georgia 38-10 and Texas A&M 41-23. Florida beat Ole Miss 38-10 and Georgia 27-3. Alabama played Georgia before Bulldogs star running back Nick Chubb was hurt and when Georgia was still using its starting quarterback, Greyson Lambert. Florida played Georgia after Chubb was lost for the season and Richt had benched Lambert for a third-string quarterback. “All of those things are factors that are discussed and noted and are reflected in the vote,” Long said.

It was an SEC love affair in the first rankings again. The committee ranked LSU, Alabama, Florida, Ole Miss, Texas A&M and Mississippi State all higher than those teams are slotted in both the Associated Press and USA Todaycoaches polls. That should go over well with the rest of America, don't you think?

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
NVGator;n306999 said:
Here's info from Jeff Long, Arkansas AD who is on the Committee:

The problem I have with his logic as it relates to the UGA quarterback situation is that maybe Lambert didn't deserve to be the starter and was subsequently benched when Richt realized the guy wasn't worthy of the starting role. Holding that against us when deciding on the rankings is ludicrous. Chubb being injured, though, is relevant IMO.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
So there are three undefeated teams in the top 10 who have yet to play a ranked opponent (OSU, Baylor, TCU). Eight games in, that's an embarrassment, and they should be ranked as such until they play a team with an actual pulse.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n307009 said:
So there are three undefeated teams in the top 10 who have yet to play a ranked opponent (OSU, Baylor, TCU). Eight games in, that's an embarrassment, and they should be ranked as such until they play a team with an actual pulse.

I completely agree. The problem is, this system is still about the eye test. Exactly what we've said for year we don't want. Those 3 teams look damn good beating up scrubs.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;306977 said:
I see it that way also unless the other conference winners had more losses.

Of course. If Ole Piss wins the conference then no team from the SEC should get in.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Reese Davis just said on Mike and Mike radio show that he thinks Florida is being punished despite their similar record and strength of schedule to Alabama based on how Treon Harris and the offense looks. In his opinion we should be higher.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorhunter;n306854 said:
How is bammer ahead of us when comparing losses

According the chairperson, Alabama has 4 "signature" wins and we have 2 "signature" wins. They were comparing wins, not losses.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Remember only 1 of the four teams that made the play off were in the top 4 last year. The winner of the playoff was #16 in the first poll.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If we win out including the SEC Championship Game we will be in the playoff...that is all that matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.