College Football Playoff Thread

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
GatorJ;n127452 said:
One good thing about FSU not getting left out is that when they get their asses kicked we won't have to hear that they were paper champions because they were left unfairly out of the playoff.

Yes, but FSU or not, the precedent of needing more than just winning by the skin of your teeth needed to be set. What happens when they get a Boise State or some other mid major D 1 that goes 12-0? This playoff isn't a true representation of the top 4, because FSU is not a top 4 team. Baylor, TCU, and OSU are all better than them

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Is there any chance Urban takes a leave of absence from pOSU after Saban spanks him again?

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The spokesman for the committee when asked why TCU dropped from 3 to 6 said they looked at the complete season of games. Why have polls during the season then? Why not just wait until everybody plays all their games and then announce the top 4.

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n127470 said:
I agree with the list. They need to play a championship game. Everybody else does.
It's the only reason OSU is in over Baylor and TCU. They had one extra game to add to their playoff resume

BoomTown

Founding Member
Mc's Red Headed Stepchild
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Big 12 screwed themselves. I recall just a few weeks ago, they were saying they'd have 2 Big 12 teams in the playoff. Baylor/TCU gave the committee the out they needed. With a clear Big 12 Champ and an undefeated crappy ACC team this would have been complete chaos.

Predictions:
1. Big 12 becomes the Big 12 again and finds 2 teams to add (maybe even 4)
2. Big 12 adds back a Championship Game the day they accomplish #1
3. Teams move away from scheduling a season full of cupcakes
4. Teams once again play for style points like they did in the late 90s (any doubt that's what happened this weekend?)
5. Within a few year (maybe even next) we've got a 6 team or 8 team playoff. It's the only way to assure that all the Power-5 get represented.

All of the above are good for the game and I'm not seeing how the playoff is taking away from the bowls. If anything it's made the end of the season a Helluva lot more intense. If they'd only listened to the fans a few decades ago....

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Born2beagator;127456 said:
Yes, but FSU or not, the precedent of needing more than just winning by the skin of your teeth needed to be set. What happens when they get a Boise State or some other mid major D 1 that goes 12-0? This playoff isn't a true representation of the top 4, because FSU is not a top 4 team. Baylor, TCU, and OSU are all better than them

That's why think it moves to a 6 team playoff next year.

Edit: although I think an 8 playoff would be the ideal playoffs.

LadyGator74

Sep 21, 2014
Gator87;n127460 said:
The spokesman for the committee when asked why TCU dropped from 3 to 6 said they looked at the complete season of games. Why have polls during the season then? Why not just wait until everybody plays all their games and then announce the top 4.
The TCU drop from 3 to 6 is especially bothersome when the deciding factor came down to its head to head loss vs. Baylor. That alone could have been remedied by applying their criteria far earlier--like right after that loss-- than waiting until the end. It makes the committee look rather foolish dropping who they considered to be the #3 team in the nation just 5 days ago to the #6 position after that team annihilated their opponent in their final game!

The Committee simply took the easy way out by putting pOSU in the 4th spot and using the excuse fthat the Big 12 doesn't have a conference championship game to give either TCU or BU the nod.

dubster1

Chip Kelly is a done deal
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
uh-oh urbs, here comes the lil boogie man saban hope your health care premiums are paid up!!!:rotfl:

Gatorhunter

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Roll Tide and Go Ducks!
...and then Go Ducks!

BoomTown

Founding Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n127485 said:
It is not fair to TCU that they dropped 3 spots and get screwed out of the big dance. But it is also not fair that they got to play a team with 2 wins and not a conference championship game, while other people had to bust their asses to get in. If I was the BIg 12 commissioner, I would tell the teams that next year they are going have to play a championship game. Either they are going to have to add another game, or drop a cupcake from their schedule even if they have to pay them.

By the rules, they CAN'T have a Championship game. They only have 10 teams. They have to have 12 to hold a Champ game or else get a waiver. Not sure the rest of the Power 5 has appetite for letting them get a waiver on that. They're trying to get to 16 teams eventually not make it easy on the Big 12-ish to stay relevant.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator87;n127460 said:

I totally agree...the anticipation would have been even greater if they had waited to announce the poll one time...after the games had all been played.

BoomTown

Founding Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
As I think about it more, I'm sure the politics of the Power-5 played into the final rankings as well. What better way to create more chaos, anxiety, and in fighting in the Big 12ish than to keep them out. Does the "Old guard" really want a TCU or Baylor in the final-4 anyway? One more nail in the coffin of the Sub-12 and one step closer to 4 major conferences of 16.

BoomTown

Founding Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
TallyGator;n127500 said:
I totally agree...the anticipation would have been even greater if they had waited to announce the poll one time...after the games had all been played.

Then we'd all be screaming about back door deals and not having any insight into the process. Besides, what would BSPN do with the 11.5 hours of programming they do every day of talking about the playoff voting?

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The new system did not solve any problems in its first year...but it is a step in the right direction and I will be watching. Roll Tide and Quack Ducks!

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n127521 said:
Originally posted by BoomTown View Post
By the rules, they CAN'T have a Championship game. They only have 10 teams. They have to have 12 to hold a Champ game or else get a waiver. Not sure the rest of the Power 5 has appetite for letting them get a waiver on that. They're trying to get to 16 teams eventually not make it easy on the Big 12-ish to stay relevant.

Well it sucks to be them. They should consider picking up Houston.Their commisioner has his work cut out for him

I hear Notre Dame is free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator