Concern grows for coked-out Doc Gooden

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
When Darryl Strawberry calls you a "complete junkie-addict," you know it's bad.

What kind of career might Gooden have had were he not messed up on blow back in the '80s? The '85 season was maybe the most dominant of any pitcher of my lifetime. Or maybe we should all just marvel that he lasted this long. Sad.

"My fear is that — and I know addiction — and my fear is people that don’t change, they die. They die this way. I just hope the light comes on soon before it’s too late.”

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...den-health-family-darryl-strawberry/89091016/

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
A lot of 40 and 50 somethings passing from drug abuse lately it seems. Most seem to be from pain pill and heroin addictions.

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I watched the ESPN 30 for 30 about Doc and Darryl and I was amazed at how bad Doc looked. Doc could not stop twitching during the entire show, no matter where he was being filmed, really sad. My 13 year old son was watching the show with me and got a real lesson about wasting talent. Those two were sure fire HOF'ers until the drugs got ahold of them.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You can take the homie out of the 'hood, but you can't take the 'hood out of the homie.

After his initial two seasons, Gooden was rolling in fame and dough, driving an expensive car around Tampa Bay and being leeched by a group of thugs he used to hang out with at Hillsborough High. His career started a permanent downhill trajectory. Unlike his famous nephew, Gary Sheffield, who also attended Hillsborough High, Gooden could never make a clean break. Not just blow but alcohol abuse as well.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, I read this last night. Real shame. But one has to want help to really change.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

What kind of career might Gooden have had were he not messed up on blow back in the '80s? The '85 season was maybe the most dominant of any pitcher of my lifetime. Or maybe we should all just marvel that he lasted this long. Sad.
I'll see Doc Gooden's '85 season and raise it Pedro's '97 or '00 seasons.

But yeah, cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
I feel really sorry for anyone who has alcohol or drug addiction issues. It is so widespread that All of us probably has a family member, or at least a close acquaintance, that has this problem.

The best thing to do is never to use drugs in the first place and if you have close family members affected by alcoholism then don't take that first drink either.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'll see Doc Gooden's '85 season and raise it Pedro's '97 or '00 seasons.

But yeah, cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Martinez was dominant longer, but Gooden was more unhittable in 1985. Look at the 1.53 ERA. Unreal.

BTW, Gooden has come out pissed at Strawberry, insisting his comments were unwarranted.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Sad, just sad. I remember him in that 1984 ASG striking out the side.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Martinez was dominant longer, but Gooden was more unhittable in 1985. Look at the 1.53 ERA. Unreal.

BTW, Gooden has come out pissed at Strawberry, insisting his comments were unwarranted.
Pedro was in the steroid era though, and he's like 5'9". :lol:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Pedro was in the steroid era though, and he's like 5'9". :lol:

Great pitcher, Sas. Look at the down and away on this pitch. That's sick.

pedrochangeup.gif

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
What kind of career might Gooden have had were he not messed up on blow back in the '80s? /

He'd a had a Gooden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.