Contact the UF Prez

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
It certainly isn’t a “college town “ anymore, it’s more like a rapidly growing city with UF Health, more so than UF, as the primary driver.
The hospitals have always kinda been overlooked as an employer/driver of the economy in Gaineville... here is a funny (but kinda f'n sad!) "i'm getting OLD" story, stick with me here, I'm being me... :lol:

So, over the last 4 years, I've had a kid (Son #2, now Daughter) living in 2nd Avenue Centre, and walked by/through these 4 square blocks a million times either to/from the stadium, to the food trucks, or cutting through to The Swamp or wherever, never thought anything about them...
AGH.jpg
So, THIS weekend, it hits me, because when I was at UF from '89-'93, I think I may have driven by those blocks exactly ONE time... I said to my daughter, "Did you know that this used to be a huge ass pile 'o bricks hospital?" She said, "Yeah" and I said "How did you know that?"... her, "it's on that sign RIGHT THERE!" :facepalm:

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
If I'm coming into Gainesville the back way and it's anytime after say 2 pm, even i know to bang a left on 143rd to 39th and just box around the whole fukkin place!

Thats great, depending on where your going. If the goal is UF, and you start out on US 26 heading east from Jonesville, its just as quick to wait for the parking lot to move. After I75 Newberry flows OK. Its the Jonesville to I75 part that sux the most.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
It certainly isn’t a “college town “ anymore, it’s more like a rapidly growing city with UF Health, more so than UF, as the primary driver.

UF Health. HCA Healthcare is about to build a hospital on Archer RD right next to the I 75 ramp. UF Health putting facilities all over. Its crazy.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
(Son #2, now Daughter)
blinking trailer park boys GIF

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thats great, depending on where your going. If the goal is UF, and you start out on US 26 heading east from Jonesville, its just as quick to wait for the parking lot to move. After I75 Newberry flows OK. Its the Jonesville to I75 part that sux the most.

Tower to just past the Panda Express can be a clusterfvk at the wrong time.... Not as bad a Pinellas County traffic but you could be a in a parking lot.. There have been a few times I hit 98th st to 39th ave to head to get on that side of town

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Tower to just past the Panda Express can be a clusterfvk at the wrong time.... Not as bad a Pinellas County traffic but you could be a in a parking lot.. There have been a few times I hit 98th st to 39th ave to head to get on that side of town

True, but my experience in drive to places on Newberry road all the way to UF was that after I75, it got better. Before Tower Rd is horrible. At tower is opens up to 3 lanes and get a little better. After the Mall/Hospital area, even better.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
True, but my experience in drive to places on Newberry road all the way to UF was that after I75, it got better. Before Tower Rd is horrible. At tower is opens up to 3 lanes and get a little better. After the Mall/Hospital area, even better.

Just finished a two year stint living off tower road, from Twilliger Road to Panda Express, especially during rush hour in the morning parking lot, got to the point where I would drive past Tower road intersection and cut through the neighborhoods to get onto Tower road.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

West of 75, between Newberry and Archer, almost definitely east of Parker…

1701284565391.gif

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Just finished a two year stint living off tower road, from Twilliger Road to Panda Express, especially during rush hour in the morning parking lot, got to the point where I would drive past Tower road intersection and cut through the neighborhoods to get onto Tower road.

That parking lot is not as bad as the lot from Tower to Parker Rd. I drove through both lots many years.

Drove my route 28 years. Finished 3 years ago when I left UF.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
That parking lot is not as bad as the lot from Tower to Parker Rd. I drove through both lots many years.

Drove my route 28 years. Finished 3 years ago when I left UF.

Doug lived off of 8th in those apartments east of Tower. He “took time off” from here “voluntarily” for roughly one year. Anyway, it’s good to have him back, or out. Ankle monitor should be off by the time next season starts too, which is a huge plus.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Doug lived off of 8th in those apartments east of Tower. He “took time off” from here “voluntarily” for roughly one year. Anyway, it’s good to have him back, or out. Ankle monitor should be off by the time next season starts too, which is a huge plus.

Ankle monitor got redacted too... they know about angry midgets and eagle fans.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The hospitals have always kinda been overlooked as an employer/driver of the economy in Gaineville... here is a funny (but kinda f'n sad!) "i'm getting OLD" story, stick with me here, I'm being me... :lol:

So, over the last 4 years, I've had a kid (Son #2, now Daughter) living in 2nd Avenue Centre, and walked by/through these 4 square blocks a million times either to/from the stadium, to the food trucks, or cutting through to The Swamp or wherever, never thought anything about them...
View attachment 64589
So, THIS weekend, it hits me, because when I was at UF from '89-'93, I think I may have driven by those blocks exactly ONE time... I said to my daughter, "Did you know that this used to be a huge ass pile 'o bricks hospital?" She said, "Yeah" and I said "How did you know that?"... her, "it's on that sign RIGHT THERE!" :facepalm:

Good ole Alachua General.

I received a few stitches there way back in the day.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
“Durty South Swamp? Durty…South…Swamp?”

1701473225990.png

“Nope, never heard of her. Is she a nutritionist?”

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.