Contact the UF Prez

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I’m not even sure that the “big money” boosters wield much power these days. The TV revenue has caused much less need for fan support.

Correct

Vandy gets as much of the tv money as UGA does so not much incentive to win anymore

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
:lol: She'll be in the office at 8 tomorrow morning.

@Zambo @NVGator and any other golfers, she spent a bunch of time last night with Billy Horschel and his family... apparently, big upgrades coming to UF's course.

I mentioned this last year.

The new golf course will be constructed on land just west of Haile Plantation in SW Gainesville.
There is an elaborate approval process underway due to the environmental impact but anyone familiar with Gainesville/Alachua county politics knows that this will happen.

I’ve heard grumblings about this since I moved to Haile six years ago but I wasn’t convinced it was going to happen until I saw that Spurrier built a house in Oakmont which borders the area from the north. No way SOS moves out here unless he knew this was happening.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014

The new golf course will be constructed on land just west of Haile Plantation in SW Gainesville.
There is an elaborate approval process underway due to the environmental impact but anyone familiar with Gainesville/Alachua county politics knows that this will happen.

I’ve heard grumblings about this since I moved to Haile six years ago but I wasn’t convinced it was going to happen until I saw that Spurrier built a house in Oakmont which borders the area from the north. No way SOS moves out here unless he knew this was happening.
Yup... I tried telling people this a couple of years ago... the old course is PRIME real estate for new buildings, dorms.... no way it was going to last.

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
UI really liked playing the UF course when I lived in G'ville back in the '70's & 80's...another landmark goes the way of Cafe Gardens, etc, etc, etc.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member

You moved to Haile yet haven't donated to Gatorchatter in years?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Supposedly they don’t intend on extending Haile Blvd through to Parker, which was one of the biggest concerns. Still Newberry and Archer will be absolute parking lots in the mornings(already are). Should be a lot of fun.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yup... I tried telling people this a couple of years ago... the old course is PRIME real estate for new buildings, dorms.... no way it was going to last.

Again, I don’t really see any problem here. Second Ave is more than equipped for a sizable increase in traffic. Everything’s gonna be fine.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Supposedly the don’t intend on extending Haile Blvd through to Parker, which was one of the biggest concerns. Still Newberry and Archer will be absolute parking lots in the mornings(already are). Should be a lot of fun.

Newberry rd has sucked for years and with all the new construction in Jonesville and the city of Newberry, it isn't getting any better. They are putting up bit apartment complexes all over Jonesville.

So glad I don't work in Gainesville anymore.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I Know Right Mean Girls GIF by filmeditor

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Newberry rd has sucked for years and with all the new construction in Jonesville and the city of Newberry, it isn't getting any better. They are putting up bit apartment complexes all over Jonesville.

There’s an area coming out of Ft Lee, NJ heading to NYC over the George Washington Bridge. Feels like roughly 12 highways all converging into like 6 lanes go into the bridge. Probably 7 million people on any given day heading in. Yet somehow Newberry Rd goes from 2 lanes to 3 near 75, is funneling just west Gainesville and Newberry inhabitants, and is equal or more of a disaster. :lol:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
There’s an area coming out of Ft Lee, NJ heading to NYC over the George Washington Bridge. Feels like roughly 12 highways all converging into like 6 lanes go into the bridge. Probably 7 million people on any given day heading in. Yet somehow Newberry Rd goes from 2 lanes to 3 near 75, is funneling just west Gainesville and Newberry inhabitants, and is equal or more of a disaster. :lol:
If I'm coming into Gainesville the back way and it's anytime after say 2 pm, even i know to bang a left on 143rd to 39th and just box around the whole fukkin place!

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

The other issue is that today’s courses are much larger with longer holes and the current UF golf course is completely landlocked.
The second challenge is that UF lacks the onsite facilities needed to host major tournaments and events. This new course will include cottages and other facilities that could house multiple day events with several teams.

The last benefit is that SOS can ride his golf cart to the clubhouse.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Supposedly they don’t intend on extending Haile Blvd through to Parker, which was one of the biggest concerns. Still Newberry and Archer will be absolute parking lots in the mornings(already are). Should be a lot of fun.

Correct.

Extending Haile Blvd. was the primary concern for us since it would have completely altered Haile forever. Fortunately there still seems to be enough influence here to keep it from happening.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I've played that thing a gazillion times. The last time was probably 50 years ago. I can remember all the holes. But I can't remember how they were numbered, other than 1,9,10, and 18. If you don't hit the green on a lot of them you better miss in the right spot.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

It certainly isn’t a “college town “ anymore, it’s more like a rapidly growing city with UF Health, more so than UF, as the primary driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.