Could Fred Taylor sue the NFL?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
This is interesting stuff. Most of us don't have much sympathy for athletes who get hurt and blame the NFL, as they know what is involved with the sport. However, doctors lying to athletes about injuries certainly isn't acceptable. Another thing that isn't acceptable is the filthy-rich NFL not taking care of these players via top healthcare after their playing days are over. That's nothing but heartless greed, really. This isn't taxpayer money we're talking about. The NFL needs the top athletes in the country to make the league work and sacrifice their bodies, and they won't even provide a decent healthcare plan after retirement?

And I'm glad Taylor mentioned that despite the "Fragile" nickname, he's a Top-15 NFL rusher in the history of the NFL. That's impressive.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Fred Taylor was one of the greatest running backs of all time. His combination of size and speak was freakish. His speed on the edge was jaw-dropping. And to think, the Jaguars would have preferred to take Curtis Enis ahead of him! :ugh:

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Another thing that isn't acceptable is the filthy-rich NFL not taking care of these players via top healthcare after their playing days are over. That's nothing but heartless greed, really. This isn't taxpayer money we're talking about. The NFL needs the top athletes in the country to make the league work and sacrifice their bodies, and they won't even provide a decent healthcare plan after retirement?

And I'm glad Taylor mentioned that despite the "Fragile" nickname, he's a Top-15 NFL rusher in the history of the NFL. That's impressive.

I agree. This has been a battleground for a long time. The NFL continues to fight it. The last I saw, players healthcare lasts for 5 years after retirement.

I believe Taylor should be in the HOF. He was better than many guys already in the HOF including Emmitt.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think he could, but the key would be proving that the NFL doctors knew of these injuries and hid them from him vs. they just "missed" them because technology wasn't as good or whatever excuse they can come up with...

Fred has always been a great RB and a great Gator. I wish him nothing but the best. I get that these guys make a lot of money playing in the NFL, but the NFL makes a lot of money also and should do a better job taking care of their employees.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If Taylor can prove that they intentionally mislead him, he has a case. that will be hard to prove a decade later. Tony Boselli's case I believe was much closer to his retirement.

As far as health care concerns. Shouldn't it be the NFLPA's job to take care of those stipulations in the contract. It's the union's job to take care of the players and their post play careers. If the union doesn't do it, why should the management they negotiate against due anything.

What the NFLPA currently does for former players

https://www.nflpa.com/former-players/former-players-benefits

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Fred Taylor was one of the greatest running backs of all time. His combination of size and speak was freakish. His speed on the edge was jaw-dropping. And to think, the Jaguars would have preferred to take Curtis Enis ahead of him! :ugh:

Looks like Fred had really good success against the Phins over his career - seemed like 1/3 of the highlights were against them. :lol:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
If Taylor can prove that they intentionally mislead him, he has a case. that will be hard to prove a decade later. Tony Boselli's case I believe was much closer to his retirement.

As far as health care concerns. Shouldn't it be the NFLPA's job to take care of those stipulations in the contract. It's the union's job to take care of the players and their post play careers. If the union doesn't do it, why should the management they negotiate against due anything.

What the NFLPA currently does for former players

https://www.nflpa.com/former-players/former-players-benefits

Agree on the player's union comments. It seems kind of a no-brainer, but it's not on management/ownership/"the league" to do it since there is a bargaining unit.

Fred may have a case, but I'm going to bet the NFL lawyer's are just as good or better than his lawyers.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
At the very least he would have a case of malpractice against the doctors. All an attorney would have to do is slap up those MRI's and X-rays on an overhead in court and ask the doctors to explain why their patient wasn't informed of his condition. If the docs claim it was from orders of the team or NFL then he now has two lawsuits to work with.

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014

I love Emmitt. He is a HOFer. But he wasn't the threat Taylor was. Taylor behind that Dallas o-line? He'd have eclipsed 2k multiple years. There are multiple backs in the HOF that would have.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I love Emmitt. He is a HOFer. But he wasn't the threat Taylor was. Taylor behind that Dallas o-line? He'd have eclipsed 2k multiple years. There are multiple backs in the HOF that would have.

Taylor was more athletically talented that Emmitt, but he was no where close to as driven. Not even in the same zip code, which is the difference in the two. Taylor was a HOF talent, but Emmitt was one the top 5 every to play the position in league history.

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Yes and IF the NFL never embraced free agency the cowboys would have won 6-7 Super Bowls.
I could say the same thing about half of the Pittsburgh Steelers in the HOF too. Is it possible that (fill in the blank) appeared to be a great player because he played next to great players?
If Fred had played in New York, he would have been a first ballot HOF'er

Ifs are ifs and reality is reality

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Taylor was more athletically talented that Emmitt, but he was no where close to as driven. Not even in the same zip code, which is the difference in the two. Taylor was a HOF talent, but Emmitt was one the top 5 every to play the position in league history.

We will have to agree to disagree. You are right about Taylor. He has said he didn't take care of himself early in his career. But I'd take Taylor over Emmitt every time. If I ranked the modern era HOFers, Emmitt would be around 10 or 11.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Fred averaged 4.6 ypc compared to Emmitt's 4.2 ypc.
Emmitt had an incredible # of carries, 571 more than Payton who sits at #2 all time, 1,875 more carries than Fred.
Emmitt was durable, that's for sure, which played a big part in him standing atop the all time list. He'll likely never get passed.
Love that we're talking about 2 Gator greats here.
:chomp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.