Warning: Political Takes COVID & Sports

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know if any Vaccine can or will cure any disease. My simple understanding is that the vaccine just increases your resistance to a very limited number(1) viral agent. If so, when you get that one viral agent, your case may not be as significant as it might have been without the vaccine. If this is right, the long awaited vaccine will never cure or wipeout the strain of virus that it is designed to affect. Just like the Flu Shot doesn't kill the Flu Virus, which is also a Covid Strain.

As to the Post title, Sports has been adversely affected for little if any verified reason. Politics took over from common sense.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Damn it '78 big words confuse me. Are you talking about the comment or an oxygen chamber. :gah:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The goal from the very beginning was to buy time for the development of vaccines, therapeutic agents and better treatment techniques, and foremost to avoid overloading the healthcare system.

Covid will not be eradicated in my lifetime IMO. It will be managed.

This holiday season is going to push the healthcare system to the brink. You don’t want to be around when and if it breaks.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know if any Vaccine can or will cure any disease. My simple understanding is that the vaccine just increases your resistance to a very limited number(1) viral agent. If so, when you get that one viral agent, your case may not be as significant as it might have been without the vaccine. If this is right, the long awaited vaccine will never cure or wipeout the strain of virus that it is designed to affect. Just like the Flu Shot doesn't kill the Flu Virus, which is also a Covid Strain.

As to the Post title, Sports has been adversely affected for little if any verified reason. Politics took over from common sense.

COVID is one virus. There's not much evidence that when it mutates the Vaccine's will be less effective. Flu is a whole collection of dissimilar viruses. Each year they have to make intelligent guesses as to which will show up flu season. Just not the same thing.

Wipe out Covid? Nope. For those who believe that herd immunity will do the next best thing, Probably 20% of the population has had this crap. Get another 60% vaccinated and you get to the magic 70%. Yes I can add. Some people who have had it but don't know it will get the vaccine, and vaccines at best are 95% effective. Herd immunity? It's my own opinion that with the mobility in the U.S. it's going to take more than 70%. So we aren't going to wipe it out, but if everything goes well we'll take a giant bite out of the problem. So for the most part '78 is right opinions aren't going to change. This season is what it is. Next season has a decent chance to return to semi-normal. So WTF are we arguing about.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Covid will not be eradicated in my lifetime IMO. It will be managed.
Couldn't you say that about the flu as well?

This holiday season is going to push the healthcare system to the brink. You don’t want to be around when and if it breaks.
When you're wrong on this, and there's no doubt in my mind you will be, will you admit you were wrong?

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
When you got an NFL team having to use a practice squad WR to start at QB for them. A college team using a freaking girl to be their kicker, then yeah you could say they’re going a little overboard with this.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Ox, did your browser stop working? Don’t take my word. Do the work. There are healthcare systems being tapped out already. And please don’t cite some system in East Bumphuck, GA.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
There are healthcare systems being tapped out already.
Okay, I'll bite. Since you made this claim, please list these places so I can do the proper research and see if you're right.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Okay, I'll bite. Since you made this claim, please list these places so I can do the proper research and see if you're right.

I’ll be happy to as soon as you provide the basis for the global revolt that’s coming.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'll bet you 4 times that many is a more accurate number.
Nope. I was being conservative but 30% might be closer. Early on based on samples you took positives and multiplied by 10. That multiplier is lower now. .

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Also, "slowing the spread" did not mean that this would never spread. The end number was never predicted to change, it just meant it would take longer to get to that number. Like instead of driving 50 mph to go 50 miles, we slow to go 10 mph to still go 50. People will get this thing one way or another. Doesn't mean precautions shouldn't be taken.
This X1000...
It's my belief EVERY person on this planet will get Covid AND many more than are aware have ALREADY had it. I can speak from experience that of every 10 people who catch this 2 never know because they're like me and won't/don't have to get tested....another 3 or 4 ONLY know/find out BECAUSE they get tested and have no or very little effects from it.
My daughter, her husband and both grand kids(3 & 7) tested positive. Her husband is an EMT who gets tested on a regular basis and found out he was positive last Saturday. When the whole family tested on Monday(and Nanny) none of them were positive....tested Wednesday, still only the husband....tested Friday and ALL of them were positive except the Nanny....None of them have had ANY ill effects other than hubby who had a runny nose for less than a day. He's been putting up Xmas decorations and re landscaping the yard for the last week....Daughter is working from home and going into the office from 4am- to 8am(she works with us)and is her usual full of energy self. The youngest says his peanut butter and jelly sammies don't taste to same....Grand daughter is still doing her gymnastics in the yard and garage just not going to practice.

Of the remaining 5 another 2 or 3 who get regular testing do have some form of mild effects. Ironically one who fits in this category is the brother of one of our employees and UK's B and Asst. Offensive coordinator....He had a slight fever the first 2 days on and off and felt lethargic or kinda "heavy" on and off for 3 or 4 days...nothing after that and he returned to the team yesterday...

That leaves about 20-25% of the population who deals with more severe conditions and I guess about 3 to 4% of people who get it require extended hospital care. I base this on the roughly 20-25 people I know who have tested positive..2 who are borderline obese(not just run of the mill fatasses) but medically obese suffered with a week long hospital stay.

Here's the thing though, no matter how fast a vaccine is rushed to the masses(March-April)only 50% of people surveyed said they would take the vaccine. I won't. Now if I were a fatass or really old like most of this board I probably would. Same goes with my day to day....will I stop going to work or the store even if I knew for sure(I'm pretty sure I've had it)? Nope. Point is we are going to be hearing about this until it has run it's course and people quit promoting it as a talking point and people who don't feel bad stop getting tested. Until these 2 things happen this will be how we have chosen to live our lives and it could be a couple more years instead of maybe 3 to 4 more month's where IMO we would reach 80-90% herd immunity anyway.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This topic has been beaten to death. Everyone knows it's a farce at this point, but they feel politically they have to keep going through the motions. If this nonsense continues well into 2021 there is going to be a worldwide revolt.

In gambling terms - they're chasing their bets. They made bad bets and they're more or less doubling down. It's time we get back to living our lives.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Useless discussion. Opinions are hardened and aren’t going to change.
You're old so it's understandable you forgot which site you logged into....This is the arguing site....not the discussion site. Now pick a side and start arguing Oldtimer...

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You're old so it's understandable you forgot which site you logged into....This is the arguing site....not the discussion site. Now pick a side and start arguing Oldtimer...

Too late. I already got sucked in.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Oh 46 didn't like my perfectly spot on post because he is scared to death and wants a vaccine that will kill at least 25k which is double what the China flu has killed to this point...Hey 46 hows that vaccine going to work when only 50% wants or will take it....I got it, you want us all to take it so you can come out of the bunker....right?

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Oh 46 didn't like my perfectly spot on post because he is scared to death and wants a vaccine that will kill at least 25k which is double what the China flu has killed to this point...Hey 46 hows that vaccine going to work when only 50% wants or will take it....I got it, you want us all to take it so you can come out of the bunker....right?

Your reading comprehension needs work. I have a deal for you. I'll put you on ignore and you put me on ignore.

Edit: I did my part.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator