Dan Mullen @ Florida...So Far....

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
They know that Kirby doesn't have half the Xs and Os that Mullen has. But Mullen so far hasn't come close to showing he can pull in the type of talent Kirby has. You can only coach up Talent so far, before the waves of talent will over take your well coached talent. Also the most recent meeting between the two schools had one team that looked completely lost and poorly coached, and it wasn't the side both sides expected to look lost and poorly coached.
I agree, and it was maddening to watch.
Mullen definitely Richted that game away in the first half.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
With regard to recruiting,Mullen do it alone - there has to be some $$ poured into it. It's no surprise that Georgia is pulling elite talent with the amount of money they've poured into facilities and recruiting.
They have a different philosophy than the UF brass. Our people DO NOT CARE if UF wins titles or not. It's not as important as it is at schools like Bama, A&M, or FSU.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen has certainly turned around the program but the recruiting has got to pick up big time. It's time for top 5 recruiting classes. He also has to stop trying to be such a cutester with the playcalling. Sometimes a 4th and 1 just needs a good ole fashioned QB sneak in a power formation. Get with it Dan!

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
They have a different philosophy than the UF brass. Our people DO NOT CARE if UF wins titles or not. It's not as important as it is at schools like Bama, A&M, or FSU.
Then why fire Mullen? Seriously, how much better can a coach do here without the commitment from the UAA?

The more I think about it, any call to get rid of Mullen is idiotic at this point. Do you think the next staff will get more resources to work with? Better facilities investment? Conversely, Mullen looks like a solid bet to be a 9-10 win coach. Do you really think a guy who is going to win more would come to school that will assuredly handicap him relative to his peers?

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Look, l generally like what Mullen has done. And looking at Frost and Kelly now, hindsight 20/20, he was the correct hire. But until he upgrades the staff, improves recruiting, and beats Georgia, meh.

Obviously, I'm still pissed over the way we looked against a beatable Georgia team

I'd still take Frost over Mullen. Nebraska is a tough place to rebuild a program due to a lack of in-state and surrounding-state talent. When he took the UN job, we all knew he'd struggle there because anyone would. Plus, his offensive system was completely different than the type of players he had on the team. Not sure why people act like it's such a surprise that he doesn't have them turned around right now.

Mullen also has performed exactly as expected so far.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Then why fire Mullen? Seriously, how much better can a coach do here without the commitment from the UAA?

The more I think about it, any call to get rid of Mullen is idiotic at this point. Do you think the next staff will get more resources to work with? Better facilities investment? Conversely, Mullen looks like a solid bet to be a 9-10 win coach. Do you really think a guy who is going to win more would come to school that will assuredly handicap him relative to his peers?
Seabee, I'm not sure if you knew this, but I don't have the power to fire Mullen. Wish I did, but I don't.

In short, you are right. UF is EFFED no matter who the coach is at this point. It's just a philosophical thing. Striklin is a money man, nothing more. At least you could say Foley was actually a Gators fan, he would show up at the games and cheer, etc. I don't think Stricklin even comes to the games. He cares about the bottom line, that's it....and they are making plenty of money.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Seabee, I'm not sure if you knew this, but I don't have the power to fire Mullen. Wish I did, but I don't.
Damn it. I was holding out hope.

I don’t think we do any better than Mullen right now. Just have to hope he finds a why to “ball on a budget”.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen has certainly turned around the program but the recruiting has got to pick up big time. It's time for top 5 recruiting classes. He also has to stop trying to be such a cutester with the playcalling. Sometimes a 4th and 1 just needs a good ole fashioned QB sneak in a power formation. Get with it Dan!
I just liked a Jboss post.

I feel dirty.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I bet Ole Butters would have appreciated that talk after 2 years. Butters didn't come in 3rd in his own division and Butters wasn't routinely getting whipped in the state of Florida his first 2 years and Butters didn't find a way to lose to a team we haven't lost to in 30 years

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
I bet Ole Butters would have appreciated that talk after 2 years. Butters didn't come in 3rd in his own division and Butters wasn't routinely getting whipped in the state of Florida his first 2 years and Butters didn't find a way to lose to a team we haven't lost to in 30 years
Butters should’ve lost to Kentucky 2 out of the 3 times we played them. They just Kentucky-ed themselves out of a win, twice. And, yes, Butters got his ass absolutely kicked by the Nulls both times he played them, as well as getting embarrassed on the recruiting trail by Jimbo and Richt.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Butters Fever

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Butters should’ve lost to Kentucky 2 out of the 3 times we played them. They just Kentucky-ed themselves out of a win, twice. And, yes, Butters got his ass absolutely kicked by the Nulls both times he played them, as well as getting embarrassed on the recruiting trail by Jimbo and Richt.
Ole Butters brought East titles his first 2 years what has Mullen brought? - beat downs from the Butt Sniffers and almost 2 losses to KY.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I'd still take Frost over Mullen. Nebraska is a tough place to rebuild a program due to a lack of in-state and surrounding-state talent. When he took the UN job, we all knew he'd struggle there because anyone would. Plus, his offensive system was completely different than the type of players he had on the team. Not sure why people act like it's such a surprise that he doesn't have them turned around right now.

Mullen also has performed exactly as expected so far.

Can't agree. Frost has shown me nothing.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The author uses the Vanderbilt win as his launch pad.

Okay.

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016
He's giving us exactly what we thought he would. He's been, "pretty good." I think Richt is a great comparison. We will continue to be "pretty good" while he's here.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
He’s done better on the field than I expected. About what I expected from him as recruiter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.