DBU? Who's your guy?

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
We've always had great talent in the secondary. Who is your favorite?

Some candidates: Louis Oliver, Jarvis Williams, Fred Weary, Lito Sheppard, Lawrence Wright, Tony Lilly, Bruce Bennett, Steve Tannen, Richard Fain, VHIII, Joe Haden, Reggie Nelson, Matt Elam, Ahmad Black, Keiwan Ratliff.

Feel free to add more.

I'm not asking who is the best, I'm asking who is your favorite. With that, I have to go with Reggie Freakin' Nelson. Dude was amazing and super fun to watch. Picks, pick sixes, and brutal, bone crunching hits, plus a National Championship. Loved watching him play.

Alex.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Lito Sheppard. Deadly on the punt returns and an unreal ball hawk. A real game changer. His pick vs UGA where he read the play, came off the receiver he was covering to pick off a ball thrown down the middle that was being covered by another team mate, and made one of the best run backs i've ever seen down the sideline while dodging multiple tacklers is simply one of the best plays i've ever seen a football player make. Saved our bacon that day.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I'm gonna have to stick with Jarvis, my hometown guy. Watched him through high school, UF, the pros, and then delivered his mail before he passed too soon.

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Although a small liability in coverage the intimidating factor Major Wright brought to each game was special.

So I'll break it down like this:

FS - RFN... Unbelievable range
SS - Matt Elam - Uncanny ball skills and a feel for the game
CB - VHIII - The most natural pure cover corner to play at UF
CB - Lito Sheppard - All around special player

hop&skipnorth

Jun 4, 2016
I think for coverage and hitting ability the tandem of Jarvis Williams and Louis Oliver is unbeatable. Both All-Americans. They are my favorites.
Hargreaves read too many of his press clippings and was too much of a show-boater for my taste.

Albert

Enormous Member
Aug 22, 2014
Not my favorite db, but my favorite play made by one! Pretty sure Johnson didn't know what planet he was on afterwards. Set the tone for the rest of the game.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Reggie F Baby, Keiwan, Ahmad and Kyle Jackson.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Lawrence Wright - he'd talk smack and back it up. Oh and then there is this, start at 2;05

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Joseph Frederick Weary. I loved watching him play. Dude could catch the ball. I also enjoyed watching Ryan Smith in his one year (8ints) at UF.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Although a small liability in coverage the intimidating factor Major Wright brought to each game was special.

So I'll break it down like this:

CB - VHIII - The most natural pure cover corner to play at UF

Yeah, it's hard to pick, but I might modify yours just a bit and go with that. ...especially if we're just talking about skills.
CB - Jalen Tabor or Joe Haden - The most natural pure cover corner to play at UF

I also thought Janoris Jenkins was a beast at UF. ...and let's not forget Quinton 'Hands' Dunbar

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Since you said favorite, I'll echo Hop&SkipNorth and say that the tandem of Jarvis Williams and Louis Oliver was the most fun to watch... as the D lined up for every play, you wondered who was going to get creamed this time around.

It's really hard to pick DBs though, cause you tend to remember their mistakes, and major mistakes by DBs usually end being painful.

But in that regard, I recall Jeff Haden getting better every year, but I don't remember him making huge mistakes. He was a big surprise to me playing so well as a freshman, as he'd not been a CB in high school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator