DC Patrick Toney & the Defense

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
But Toney started with 3 years of Grantham :kiffin:.

What did Tennessee start with?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
But Toney started with 3 years of Grantham :kiffin:.

What did Tennessee start with?

There are ways of defending Toney. But using tennessee as your reference is far from one of them. Frankly, if we’re setting Heupel and this vol team as the bar for a year 2, we’re probably in some trouble. They were in a rebuild of a rebuilding rebuild, and nowhere close to us in talent.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
There are ways of defending Toney. But using tennessee as your reference is far from one of them. Frankly, if we’re setting Heupel and this vol team as the bar for a year 2, we’re probably in some trouble. They were in a rebuild of a rebuilding rebuild, and nowhere close to us in talent.
Zzz Ok GIF by Jim Gaffigan

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
You may be right but I think there will be a huge jump next year.
Nothing explains how bad we are. I don't think it's all talent or coaching.
I know what I see and hear on podcasts but this is you wheel house.
Nothing will much change until December.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Because this drop is unexplainable to me.
The talent is not top shelf but better than UL.
Toney's D played better than this, it's not all him.

Like I said earlier, I'd play Man most of this season. I'd pickup the other Ds in the Spring and Summer.

sharkbite

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2017
Itraz, I am asking this as an legitimate question as it appears that you have a tremendous amount of knowledge. Not picking a fight or being a smart azz. If Toney has shown improvement in other places year over year, would this not mean he adjusts based on previous years experience? You mentioned that P5 coaches stay away from lower levels, how can this hold up going forward if no P5 team can get develop, train, or educate lower level coaches? I honestly do not know if Toney is the right guy, but I would hope that he can learn and grow through experience of being at the P5 level. How else are any P5 schools going to maintain when the current P5 coaches either quit or retire? It seems to me that the same coaches are recycled to team to team and at some point, the younger gen coaches are inevitably going to have to step up as these older coaches are just not going to be around. It is my HOPE, that the Gators are taking their lumps now with the idea that these younger coaches have the mental capacity to learn and adapt at this higher level and will gain the experience now vs later when all these other "seasoned" coaches move on. Again, HOPEFULLY, this will be the Gators in the drivers seat in the future. Thoughts?

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
To add,

Is not Football Football: FCS,FBS, P5, SEC? We are not talking HC that's understandable. We are talking DC.
Example: Muschamp needs to stay at DC.

Player development is relative. Strength, speed, size, reach, agility, IQ are TALENTS and God given. Skills are taught and developed. Being out of position, not wrapping up, not holding your lane or gaps are skill errors. Get smoked on a deep route is talent.

We are seeing "skills" issues, why? Many FBS teams can hold their (If disciplined) for 2-3 quarters and then talent get's them.
Toney has done it in the Sunbelt with lower talent; the skills were there. Why are they not at UF?

Is it 3 years of Grantham? Is it Toney? Is it stubborn players? Is it all of the above?

My question is how long will it take to answer that because I think we don't have enough data (time under our belt)?

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Posted this elsewhere. Would you hire someone to be a DC at an SEC school with this background? Hades and no.

2012–2013Southeastern Louisiana (DA)
2014Southeastern Louisiana (DB/ST)
2015Sam Houston State (S)
2016–2017UTSA (S)
2018–2019Louisiana (S)
2020–2021Louisiana (DC/OLB)
2022–presentFlorida (co-DC/S)

And if you are right, when do you make that move? It ain't now. As detailed and as analytical as Napier is, you don't think he keeps his options open? He's a numbers man and numbers don't lie over time.

If you are right, talent won't matter (see Grantham). But remember why we got Cousin Eddie? He checked all the resume boxes: had to be a HC, had to know the SEC, had to be an offense minded coach. How did that work for ya?

Napier and Toney inherited a :kiffin: show at ULL. So consider that? They turned it around.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018

You maybe right. But like you said, nothing will be done until after the season. Right now I'm pleased with recruiting. I'm please with the culture and attitudes. I'm pleased with what he is building. Let's see if they can make it work or find the people who can.

The only thing that I question is, if it's the players why are we starting the same players? Keep these schemes and play the players that fit.

If you keep this line-up, why not modify the schemes: Man D, Spread O...?

But like Government, when it's time you either keep what ya got OR make the change.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018

I think sometimes your suggestions and/or observations are taken as changes that are needed to be made NOW. I see now that you're just critiquing reality. I do appreciate your analysis.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
You cannot be serious.....you honestly don't see any deficiencies at all 3 levels of our defense. Be honest....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator