Defensive Depth Chart 2021

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Seriously, next year we will probably wish we had this year's defense. It's been the trend since Mullen took over.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Better be hitting that portal hard.
We have almost no slots.

One thought is that perhaps somebody like Campbell could come back. Seems unlikely though since he was SJWing and sat out part of the season himself. Dunlap maybe.

it's actually kind of surprised that the ventral was only a RS Junior. that helps a bunch in my mind because as bad as he is in past coverage and he is atrocious he's still solidifies the run game a bunch.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Do we expect Carter to be gone?
I do. He's going to grade out really well. He was very solid this year easily our best defensive lineman, probably grading better than Slaton. I know some of you only look at sacks but that's not the way the scouts work. they will look at least as much at run defense.

Of course if he returns he he helps a bunch but will unfortunately probably get pushed inside again.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Well, I'm also seeing play 5 in 6.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/10/14/ncaa-winter-sports-extra-eligibility/

The NCAA’s Division I Council voted to give eligibility relief to winter-sport athletes regardless of how many games they play during the 2020-21 academic year. Athletes now have the opportunity to play five seasons within a six-year span rather than the typical four seasons in five years.

Bern, ANY senior can come back next year. That's the rule. No matter what your google search finds. The NCAA is full of retards. I've seen the same things you're finding. But ANY senior can return next year. Dunlap ain't going to the NFL, he should come back. I doubt Carter, Campbell or Slaton return, but if they do it's a bonus. We need Dunlap & Lang to get better this off-season as they are our only upperclassman. Plus we need at least 1 transfer. But we only have 2 spots, if that, for transfers. So getting Dunlap (or one of the others) to return is like getting a free transfer. Dunlap's not very good, but he plays hard and will give us 20+ snaps a game - and like I said earlier, as it stands, he'd probably be a starter. They love playing him at NT on 3rd and long.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Seriously, next year we will probably wish we had this year's defense. It's been the trend since Mullen took over.

We could field 11 cardboard cutouts next year and still be improved.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We could field 11 cardboard cutouts next year and still be improved.
not likely.

I know some some of you are riding off this year as "it is just Wuhan" but that is silly.

The reasons the defense look bad this year is because the offense is learned from LSU last year.

Even Bammer is not playing ball control and just burning the clock. The majority of the SEC is finally paying attention and realizing how soft the SEC defenses are against the pass game. luckily Kinfuchy, Tinerc, Chumpcucks, and Vamdy stuck in the past giving us easy wins.

I really hope Dan doesn't lurch too far back to the run game with EJ. we will still be able to beat everyone else in the East other than Ugly running Danball but that's about it that's about it.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
not likely.

I know some some of you are riding off this year as "it is just Wuhan" but that is silly.

The reasons the defense look bad this year is because the offense is learned from LSU last year.

Even Bammer is not playing ball control and just burning the clock. The majority of the SEC is finally paying attention and realizing how soft the SEC defenses are against the pass game. luckily Kinfuchy, Tinerc, Chumpcucks, and Vamdy stuck in the past giving us easy wins.

I really hope Dan doesn't lurch too far back to the run game with EJ. we will still be able to beat everyone else in the East other than Ugly running Danball but that's about it that's about it.

You somehow missed the stellar job we did of stopping Najee on the ground.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Bern, ANY senior can come back next year. That's the rule. No matter what your google search finds. The NCAA is full of retards. I've seen the same things you're finding. But ANY senior can return next year. Dunlap ain't going to the NFL, he should come back. I doubt Carter, Campbell or Slaton return, but if they do it's a bonus. We need Dunlap & Lang to get better this off-season as they are our only upperclassman. Plus we need at least 1 transfer. But we only have 2 spots, if that, for transfers. So getting Dunlap (or one of the others) to return is like getting a free transfer. Dunlap's not very good, but he plays hard and will give us 20+ snaps a game - and like I said earlier, as it stands, he'd probably be a starter. They love playing him at NT on 3rd and long.
You're right. Straight from the NCAA:

DI Council extends eligibility for winter sport student-athletes

Winter sport student-athletes who compete during 2020-21 in Division I will receive both an additional season of competition and an additional year in which to complete it, the Division I Council decided. The same flexibility was provided to student-athletes after the spring season was canceled in 2020 and the fall season was seriously impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So what about the seniors in the secondary?

Davis probably goes to the draft, but do we renew scholarships for Stiner or Stewart?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I’ll be real curious to see where Diwun Black fits in next years rotation. A better way to put that may be how this staff misuses his talent...
he's going to be a lot like Dean and Burney, a heavy safety or outside linebacker which we really don't have a position for in this defense.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So what about the seniors in the secondary?

Davis probably goes to the draft, but do we renew scholarships for Stiner or Stewart?
I will cut you.

Stewart probably gets drafted late. actually has some good game film. a lot of teams are going to think he's a talented player with horrific coaching in a horrific scheme.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I’ll be real curious to see where Diwun Black fits in next years rotation. A better way to put that may be how this staff misuses his talent...

he will be a starter somewhere. Not sure where though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator