Delpit "Average as Grits"

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm from the south and I don't really care for grits. Hope I don't have to turn in my southerner card

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I wouldn't mind having that f250 platinum that sofia was talking about, though

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I probably used the wrong wording. I’m talking about this guy. Any time I’ve seen shrimp and grits on a menu, it’s at a place where you see this. Like a crossover between southern and pretentious. To be clear, the dish itself isn’t what I’m knocking.

There’s an Irish pub in Charleston called Tommy Condon’s that has surprisingly good Shrimp and Grits; weird for an Irish joint to be sure. I’ve been there many times, but so far no jeans like those.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
There’s an Irish pub in Charleston called Tommy Condon’s that has surprisingly good Shrimp and Grits; weird for an Irish joint to be sure. I’ve been there many times, but so far no jeans like those.

I’ll have to try and find a pic of what I’m talking about.

Not sure I want that in my search history, but considering the places I visit per this thread, what the heck, right.:lol:

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If I'm eating fried eggs (over light) I'm eating grits and want a biscuit with country ham and grape jelly to go with it.
When I was 18 I hitchhiked to SF and moved in with some friends in San Rafael. First week there, we made our way to the beach at Sausalito and decided to stop at a small diner for breakfast where I ordered eggs and asked the waitress "yall have grits?". She immediately called another girl over to the table and tells me to ask her. They started laughing, "What is a grit, and did you say yall, where are you from?"

On Edisto Island above Charleston, one of the few restaurants was located in the BP station as you get onto the island. A little black woman ran the restaurant and served a casserole of baked grits that were really really good. Every restaurant in Charleston serves fish or shrimp and grits.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I eat breakfast about two to three
times per year . Same with brunch . Lunch maybe once or twice per week. So grits aren’t something I’ve had in years .

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My granddaddy could eat grits at every meal. They were cheap during the hard times and he got used to eating them pretty regular. When we’d go fishing on some Saturdays, we’d sometimes get breakfast at this little local cafe that opened early. That’s where I learned to eat grits mixed with fried eggs, the runnier the yolk the better.

We ate a lot of fish back then, plenty of fish fries were a way for families and friends to gather. Mostly bream, shellcracker, and channel cats. The best side was cheese grits made with sharp cheddar and not too stiff. You couldn’t buy it as good in a restaurant.

I had never heard of shrimp and grits until about 10 years ago. At the time I’d rather have my shrimp fried, grilled, or in a low country boil. Never thought much about eating them in grits. Went to a place in Thomasville Ga a while back called Jonah’s. Shrimp and grits was their specialty, so I gave ‘em a try. Didn’t know what I’d been missing! The cool thing was that they served me even though I wasn’t wearing those unisex sparkling dungarees. I’d recommend Jonah’s S&G if you’re ever up that way. Any way you serve ‘em, grits is good groceries.

Last edited:

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
I eat breakfast about two to three
times per year . Same with brunch . Lunch maybe once or twice per week. So grits aren’t something I’ve had in years .

Well, grits make excellent supper fare, too!

There is just no reasonable excuse for not eating grits. The grocery stores in Wisconsin sold them. I doubt the existence of a Walmart in the country that does not sell grits.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I don't disagree with So. FLA. that shrimp and grits is a dish that has taken on airs, so why not discuss a genuine South Florida dish, fish and grits? Maybe served with fried mullet?

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
I don't disagree with So. FLA. that shrimp and grits is a dish that has taken on airs, so why not discuss a genuine South Florida dish, fish and grits? Maybe served with fried mullet?

fried bass, speckled perch, speckled trout, redfish, flounder, catfish, bluegill, shellcrackers, stumpknockers, you name it, just tell me when and where!

Grits & bambi-mama sausage is good, too!

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
fried bass, speckled perch, speckled trout, redfish, flounder, catfish, bluegill, shellcrackers, stumpknockers, you name it, just tell me when and where!

Grits & bambi-mama sausage is good, too!
I consider myself pretty southern, but now have some self-doubt; what the heck are shellcrackers, and stumpknockers? Never heard of Bambi mama sausage, but am guessing it’s made from deer meat, specifically doe.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My granddaddy could eat grits at every meal. They were cheap during the hard times and he got used to eating them pretty regular. When we’d go fishing on some Saturdays, we’d sometimes get breakfast at this little local cafe that opened early. That’s where I learned to eat grits mixed with fried eggs, the runnier the yolk the better.

We ate a lot of fish back then, plenty of fish fries were a way for families and friends to gather. Mostly bream, shellcracker, and channel cats. The best side was cheese grits made with sharp cheddar and not too stiff. You couldn’t buy it as good in a restaurant.

I had never heard of shrimp and grits until about 10 years ago. At the time I’d rather have my shrimp fried, grilled, or in a low country boil. Never thought much about eating them in grits. Went to a place in Thomasville Ga a while back called Jonah’s. Shrimp and grits was their specialty, so I gave ‘me a try. Didn’t know what I’d been missing! The cool thing was that they served me even though I wasn’t wearing those unisex sparkling dungarees. I’d recommend Jonah’s S&G if you’re ever up that way. Any way you serve ‘em, grits is good groceries.
My Granddaddy DID have grits with every meal and my Grandmother had salmon croquettes available almost as much.

Unfortunately, I grew up in a household which Mom & Dad didn’t like seafood at all. Somehow I acquired the taste for loving seafood. So naturally, the only time I actually got to eat any kind of seafood would be on my birthday when I got to choose my dinner as a present.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It’s impressive that you’re able to keep up with UF sports so well...living in Somalia.

An apple or orange throughout the day. Maybe some peanuts if I go to a ball game . That’s about it for the most part with holiday exceptions , dinner is the only time to sit and eat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator