Delpit "Average as Grits"

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That was kind of my reasoning on fried chicken. Many cultures make it in some fashion so I’m not sure it’s completely southern. Grits are essentially polenta and several African names. But especially for those of us not entirely “southern”, they just feel like they fit the bill better than other things. But I definitely get the chicken argument.

And actually, to be honest, I’ve really just always just had this lifelong dream of derailing an entire thread into a 7 page discussion about grits. I hope to get There one day.[\QUOTE]
upload_2020-4-30_18-27-23.jpeg

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
1. Grits
2. Sausage (links, patties, bulk, I love it all)
3. Biscuits and sausage gravy
4. Pecan pie
5. Cobbler (peach or blackberry) We’d pick a bucket full of blackberries and that cobbler mom made was unforgettable. Preserves were pretty good, too.

I’m a huge breakfast guy. I could eat breakfast 3 times a day.
Fried chicken is good, but honestly I prefer it grilled.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Guava cheese cake, guava cobbler, lemon meringue pie, key lime, cocanut cream, plus a few others.

I make a dandy bourbon chocalate pecan pie, kind of like a Derby pie.
I can tear up some lemon meringue, never had the guava as a cobbler or cheesecake but like it as a fruit. Going back to chicken, I can eat a 5 gallon bucket of fried chicken livers but every time I do I have a problem with gout for 3 or 4 days. I make em for the dogs all the time and it kills me not to have some.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
1. Grits
2. Sausage (links, patties, bulk, I love it all)
3. Biscuits and sausage gravy
4. Pecan pie
5. Cobbler (peach or blackberry) We’d pick a bucket full of blackberries and that cobbler mom made was unforgettable. Preserves were pretty good, too.

I’m a huge breakfast guy. I could eat breakfast 3 times a day.
Fried chicken is good, but honestly I prefer it grilled.

Yeah, makes sense. You seem like a bit of heath nut.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Surprised to see no one has added chicken fried steak with country gravy. Definitely one of my favorite breakfasts, with some over easy eggs and plenty of hash browns so soak up the yolk and gravy!

I'd also add pork chops to the list. I realize that pork chops are ubiquitous, but they seem to taste much better in the south. I grew up hating the ones my Wisconsin born mother made, but Mrs. G's are to die for. Fried chicken the same; you can get it anywhere, but it's not the same in the rest of the country. My SIL grew up in rural Alabama and her fried chicken is as good a yard bird as you will ever find. Same with her biscuits; no recipe, she just mixes it up and they turn out perfect every time. I never put anything but butter on them. They are that good.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
You guys have me missing my mom and her smothered fried chicken. She would take left over fried chicken and cook it in a electric frying pan in gravy until it would fall off the bone. I could eat a pan full.
My wife's a great cook but this dish isn't even on the menu.
She could also make you think fried liver in gravy was cubed steak until you bit into it. The lady knew her gravy.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Looking back at this thread I'm surprised neither coon or possum are found on any of these lists (ya'll know who you are).

As far as greens, I like kale and eat if all the time, but raw. The issue I have with much of southern cooking is that whatever it is(specifically vegetables and greens) they're just cooked way too much. Kills the texture, much of the nutrients, and some of the natural taste.

Here's a little known fact: In southern cooking the nutrients are in the gravy. Gravy is the basis for the foundation of the food pyramid along with biscuits and sweet tea.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Looking back at this thread I'm surprised neither coon or possum are found on any of these lists (ya'll know who you are).

Here's a little known fact: In southern cooking the nutrients are in the gravy. Gravy is the basis for the foundation of the food pyramid along with biscuits and sweet tea.
In the 90's I had a co-worker bring in a coon rib sammich for lunch. Damn thing had a rib bone sticking 4 inches out the side of two pieces of light bread. I couldn't eat myself thinking he was gonna put an eye out with that damn thing

Also we always call the greens "gravy" liquor, not sure if that is right or not now.

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Growing up in North Florida, breakfast sometimes consisted of grits, eggs, and mullet roe.
Never could develop a palate for mullet roe.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Growing up in North Florida, breakfast sometimes consisted of grits, eggs, and mullet roe.
Never could develop a palate for mullet roe.
I liked the white mullet roe; yellow wasn't in my wheelhouse. We had mullet all the time. I started throwing a castnet when I was 5; dad had it custom made for me. It was only a 5 or 6 foot net and I don't think I ever caught anything in it. Not enough diameter. Sure miss going fishing with him. Throwing a net, gigging flounder (at night with a 6 volt battery powered light), crabbing, cane pole fishing in river and lakes. Seems like a lot of good memories are about food and catching it. BTW: where did the phrase in my wheelhouse come from?

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
In the 90's I had a co-worker bring in a coon rib sammich for lunch. Damn thing had a rib bone sticking 4 inches out the side of two pieces of light bread. I couldn't eat myself thinking he was gonna put an eye out with that damn thing

Also we always call the greens "gravy" liquor, not sure if that is right or not now.
:lol:
Harold and James were two black fellows that helped me some up in Lincoln County. Harold was pretty attentive to directions, James not so much. Whenever I would make datil pepper sauce, I would take Harold a jar. He really liked it, using it to sauce his weekend barbecue. I found out he and James were buying coons from this guy on Thursday or Friday night and they would get right drinking shine and eating "bobacue".

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I liked the white mullet roe; yellow wasn't in my wheelhouse. We had mullet all the time. I started throwing a castnet when I was 5; dad had it custom made for me. It was only a 5 or 6 foot net and I don't think I ever caught anything in it. Not enough diameter. Sure miss going fishing with him. Throwing a net, gigging flounder (at night with a 6 volt battery powered light), crabbing, cane pole fishing in river and lakes. Seems like a lot of good memories are about food and catching it. BTW: where did the phrase in my wheelhouse come from?
I have gigged flounder with a flambeau, a lighted asbestos twine ball fed with kerosene. Also, as a boy, enjoyed the camaraderie of being with the grown men running trotlines for catfish using carbide lamps.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
I have gigged flounder with a flambeau, a lighted asbestos twine ball fed with kerosene. Also, as a boy, enjoyed the camaraderie of being with the grown men running trotlines for catfish using carbide lamps.
We always used a 6 volt light powered by a car battery floating in a washtub held up by an inner tube. The light was on a pole and you had to keep it under water to cool. Later, we got Coleman mantle lanterns with the reflecting dish. Worked like a champ. Still had to drag the washtub to put your catch in. Needle fish would pick at little scabs and start some light bleeding. It wasn't until I saw Jaws that I ever worried about that.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
We always used a 6 volt light powered by a car battery floating in a washtub held up by an inner tube. The light was on a pole and you had to keep it under water to cool. Later, we got Coleman mantle lanterns with the reflecting dish. Worked like a champ. Still had to drag the washtub to put your catch in. Needle fish would pick at little scabs and start some light bleeding. It wasn't until I saw Jaws that I ever worried about that.
We graduated to Coleman lanterns as well. I think modern technology is back to lights on a plastic pole under water, which (as you know) avoids the reflection at the water surface.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
We graduated to Coleman lanterns as well. I think modern technology is back to lights on a plastic pole under water, which (as you know) avoids the reflection at the water surface.
LEDs have changed a lot for the better. Yea for chip manufacturing technology. It's amazing how photoresist has made the world a better place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.