Depth Chart

Oscar the G

Nov 7, 2018
And there's still people in the recruiting thread whistling past the graveyard acting like everything is all fine.

I think we can withstand one more of the heavy DL's going down (now that Conliffe is gone), but if we lose another one we'll see walkon Moe Gordon playing a serious role or we're playing Greenard and Zuniga inside on a lot of plays. It's inexcusable to brush off the interior DL in this league. But I know, I know...."trust the coaches"....(smh)
How many losses can any team sustain at one position and not expect a dropoff? I think we all would have liked more DTs in the last 2 classes but if we had Langham, conliffe, slaton and ancrum in addition to shuler, Campbell, Dunlap and Carter would anyone be complaining about DL depth?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Schuler and Carter arent DTs.

Yes, youre an idiot if you arent complaining about landing 1 DT or SDE in two classes.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm certainly not pretending there are no issues with recruiting in general, specifically in the interior. I agree we have a problem and it needs to be addressed. That said, bear in mind that any DTs we would've landed would either be the transition class, or would be in the first camp and playing as true Fr, which is rarely good. So if we get that low(the Gordon talk), we were probably toast either way. Even Meyer found this out in '07 when we had Pouncey move over just to provide a body at DT.

Again, doesn't mean that it doesn't need to be corrected. I think/hope it's been recognized. It's just that some of this damage was done before Mullen took over and it's going to take some time to get where we need to be. It's been mismanaged for too long. Let's hope it doesn't reach that level.
Bull shcit. It is 100% mullens fault we've only signed one dt in 2 years. No excuse to not atleast grab a few bodies

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Bull shcit. It is 100% mullens fault we've only signed on dt in 2 years. No excuse to not atleast grab a few bodies

But that's not actually what I said. Yes, I think he and his staff take the blame for who they've signed or not signed(more so the '19 class than the '18). But my point stands, if we'd signed several in this class, it would certainly be nice. However, the likelihood of them stepping in as Freshmen and having solid performances, particularly once we get into SEC play, isn't very good. There's a reason we've all talked about the concerns of our new starters along several OL spots. How many here would feel comfortable with Tarquin, White or Gouriage being the starting lineup?

Again, it's not excusing Mullen's role in not having some more bodies. But the position was severely neglected, by the last staff as well(minus 2017's class), and those are going to be players we have to rely on to some degree this year, like or not. Two or three injuries inside and we're in trouble. What Mullen landed or did not land in his first two classes isn't likely to change that. Still needs to be fixed moving forward, though. No debating there.

Oscar the G

Nov 7, 2018
So 290 is pretty much the cutoff without being explosive af? I get it we all want beef but I also think our 280# guys can give us some quality snaps.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
So 290 is pretty much the cutoff without being explosive af? I get it we all want beef but I also think our 280# guys can give us some quality snaps.

If you're fine with us being ranked in the 40's or worse in rushing defense, yeah....280lbs DTs are okay. smh

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
If you're fine with us being ranked in the 40's or worse in rushing defense, yeah....280lbs DTs are okay. smh
Unfortunately, I think that’s where Grantham has decided to take risk. It’s odd to me, though. Mullen has always been a ball control guy on offense - using the rushing/short passing attacks to control the clock and wear out the other team. Why would he go with a DC obsessed with pass rushing and upending the passing game while sacrificing the rushing game?

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
How many scholarships do teams usually have on DTs?
Three dt/sde per year. Big eaters have the highest injury or flop rate. Four would be better (look at Banmer and fUGly classes).

Luckily all 12 of our Buck/Rush guys are healthy.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
why do i get the feeling oscar is another one of those 2222 types?
Reminds me of Wobble. Just neverending stupidity.

2222 would be explaining that whatever the coaches did was always right, with gifs and diagrams. I think 2222 was multiple people. The writing style changed at the end of a semester. I seriously believe it was UAA interns.

Oscar the G

Nov 7, 2018
Reminds me of Wobble. Just neverending stupidity.

2222 would be explaining that whatever the coaches did was always right, with gifs and diagrams. I think 2222 was multiple people. The writing style changed at the end of a semester. I seriously believe it was UAA interns.
I dont believe the coaches are always right, and I would have liked more beef in the last 2 classes. But we had a bunch of guys 285# and bigger before Langham quit. I'm not arguing we shouldn't have had more, but losing 3 guys this week would be tough for any team to handle. The bigger question is why we haven't been recruiting bigger guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator