Did you realize Arkansas has lost 17 straight SEC games?

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
While we complain and bemoan our coach, the University of Arkansas has lost 17 straight SEC games.... WOW... It could be worse...

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
What's crazy is they're actually a pretty decent team this year, but they just can't get over the hump.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It can't be worse than being the University of Arkansas... no matter how many SEC games are won or lost.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n97610 said:
What's crazy is they're actually a pretty decent team this year, but they just can't get over the hump.

Hopefully they get over the hump when playing Mizzou.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
GMDGATOR;n97587 said:
While we complain and bemoan our coach, the University of Arkansas has lost 17 straight SEC games.... WOW... It could be worse...

Ahh but there is a huge difference. They are actually a decent team and progressing nicely. They will be a contender soon enough. Looks like their players are being developed.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
They look head and shoulders better than last year. The improvement is obvious.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n97610 said:

Yep.

WobbleGator;n97635 said:
Hopefully they get over the hump when playing Mizzou.

...and yep!

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
They'll be tough going forward. They're a niche team. With most of the conference transitioning to spread concepts recruiting is moving to smaller faster defensive athletes. Then you play a team that's o-line outweighs every team in the NFL, you end up with some physical mismatches that can really wear you out during the course of the game. They're a team you don't want to play. It even effects you the following week.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n97645 said:
They look head and shoulders better than last year. The improvement is obvious.

This.

Bielema is a very solid ball coach. They'll be in the thick of things in the West before too long. And they play big boy football - run between the tackles and control the line of scrimmage.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
GMDGATOR;n97587 said:

You're right it could be worse... some people were asking for 0-17 to be our next coach. Scary.

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Gatorbreath;n97670 said:
This.

Bielema is a very solid ball coach. They'll be in the thick of things in the West before too long. And they play big boy football - run between the tackles and control the line of scrimmage.

Which was probably where we were heading until it became clear we did not have the patience to wait for that kind of development.
It's a good thing for Bielema Arkansas doesn't have the expectations we have.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Coach9;n97667 said:
They'll be tough going forward. They're a niche team. With most of the conference transitioning to spread concepts recruiting is moving to smaller faster defensive athletes. Then you play a team that's o-line outweighs every team in the NFL, you end up with some physical mismatches that can really wear you out during the course of the game. They're a team you don't want to play. It even effects you the following week.

The problem is that perfect set of scenarios will only come around every few years. I actually think they'll have some really tough years ahead as these upperclass linemen begin moving on. Alex Collins was also probably criminally underrated coming out of HS. But, again, while I respect Bielema(sp?), I don't think he's going to do very well long term. Similar to Jones at ut, I think he'll have them close, and already does. But not sure he ever gets them over that hump.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I thought the op was coming out of the closet

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n97790 said:
The problem is that perfect set of scenarios will only come around every few years. I actually think they'll have some really tough years ahead as these upperclass linemen begin moving on.
You think Bielema will have difficulty finding some large linemen? MMMMM... k. I don't.

Alex Collins, yet another colossal miss by UF. I'm wondering why you say he was underrated. Wasn't he the top back in the state?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Law98gator;n97839 said:
You think Bielema will have difficulty finding some large linemen? MMMMM... k. I don't.

Alex Collins, yet another colossal miss by UF. I'm wondering why you say he was underrated. Wasn't he the top back in the state?

No, I think that they have a solid amount of experience, and are a great unit. I don't think he'll have that every year. He'll also have to compete in the very cutthroat world that is SEC recruiting. He whined at Wisconsin when teams would continue pursuing committed players.

As for Collins, my reference was to his being the 13th ranked RB in that class. I struggle to believe there are 12 other backs that were better. That's all. Not sure where he finished in terms of the state, but I know at one point, he was the 5th ranked back in Florida, behind Taylor.

And yes, I did really hope to sign him. But we had Lane already, and then got KT later in the cycle. So I don't put it on par with some of the other misses. And honestly, if his mom(the cane fan) refused to sign for him to go to Arkansas, I can only imagine what a nightmare it would've been if he was trying to come here.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
soflagator;n97790 said:
The problem is that perfect set of scenarios will only come around every few years. I actually think they'll have some really tough years ahead as these upperclass linemen begin moving on. Alex Collins was also probably criminally underrated coming out of HS. But, again, while I respect Bielema(sp?), I don't think he's going to do very well long term. Similar to Jones at ut, I think he'll have them close, and already does. But not sure he ever gets them over that hump.

It's a strategy you have to be all in on. It's imperative you keep stacking up the big uglies. Have to be able to develop the kids cause you'll have trouble signing top guys every year when kids see entrenched starters. Those seasons when they have those upper classman lines they'll be a bear to play. Defensively they'll usually get good at defending the run from practicing against themselves. Usually the thing that puts this team over the top is a big time receiver that keeps guys out of the box

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9;n97857 said:
Usually the thing that puts this team over the top is a big time receiver that keeps guys out of the box

We've got that in DRob. We just need to make sure the other team stays aware of that.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n97956 said:
We've got that in DRob. We just need to make sure the other team stays aware of that.

I would agree that DRob is our best receiver, but he's not among the elite - Cooper, Treadwell, or Agholor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator