Do you have a near death experience.?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Talking about stupid things we've done - who has escaped death? Have you had something happened that you were just inches away from getting killed and somehow survived. The one time I can remember that I really thought I was dead was flying myself and GF back to Orlando after visiting friends in Jupiter. Thunderstorms started popping up and surrounding us to the point that I was looking for roads to land on. Luckily we made it to Vero Beach just as the **** really hit the fan. I really thought we were going to die and of course I had to make it look like everything was under control so as to not scare her. We rented a car and drove home. After flying my entire life that was my last flight as pilot in command.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
When I was about 7, my dad was coaching girls' track at Cape Coral HS and I was at their practice. Me being the helper I was, I ran out on the field to retrieve discusses that had been thrown. I bent over to pick one up when I heard my dad scream my name, and a discuss flew over my head by about 6 inches. Even felt the breeze from it. Not sure how that would have turned out had I stood up a second earlier.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I was a Junior in high school and my girlfriend and I left Tallahassee to spend a weekend in Albany Ga at her Uncle's property (that dude from Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom - Jim Fowler, really cool place).
Driving back Sunday night on a two lane Georgia road I'm in the passenger seat of her '73 VW Bug and I'm half dozing as we're going up a hill (cannot see oncoming traffic on the other side of the hill).
Something caught my eye and I don't know why but I yelled at her to pull over. She looked at me like I was crazy and I said JUST DO IT!
Literally two seconds later two 18-Wheelers crested the hill side by side blazing right by us - one in the opposite lane and one in our lane.
dayumm
The only thing I think that saved us was that I noticed the lights were too bright coming from the other side.
Otherwise Gatordiddy would have been GatorDeaddy.

Oh - And does it count if you almost gave someone else their near death experience?
If so - I've got another one.

Jand3k

I Don't Re Member
Sep 12, 2014
Wow diddy, that is impressive.

Most people identify problems but do nothing about them. The fact that you acted on your impression/expectation is amazing. It most definitely save your lives.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not me... but my daughter. We were all sitting in a bedroom playing. My wife had one daughter (2.5 years old) in her lap doing a puzzle. I was sitting right next to them with 1 year old in my lap playing with a potato head man. I literally could not have been more in-tune and engaged with my family at that moment. I hear my 1 year old in my lap choking. She swallowed the damn ear ring from Ms. Potato Head. Now, I am highly trained in CPR. I reached into her mouth (bad, bad move) and I couldnt reach it anyway. It's down her throat and I can just barely see the yellow. I'm yelling to wife call 911, call 911. I flip her over, body resting on my forearm, her head on my hand (the proper way) and start pounding her back. She's going limp at this point and not coughing anymore. And then... one magical pound later... it flies out. All's good.

I teared up typing that. It still makes my hands shake thinking about it.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I ate at the Varsity once. Nuff said.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
bradgator2;n268758 said:
Not me... but my daughter. We were all sitting in a bedroom playing. My wife had one daughter (2.5 years old) in her lap doing a puzzle. I was sitting right next to them with 1 year old in my lap playing with a potato head man. I literally could not have been more in-tune and engaged with my family at that moment. I hear my 1 year old in my lap choking. She swallowed the damn ear ring from Ms. Potato Head. Now, I am highly trained in CPR. I reached into her mouth (bad, bad move) and I couldnt reach it anyway. It's down her throat and I can just barely see the yellow. I'm yelling to wife call 911, call 911. I flip her over, body resting on my forearm, her head on my hand (the proper way) and start pounding her back. She's going limp at this point and not coughing anymore. And then... one magical pound later... it flies out. All's good.

Wow. Scary moment, I'm sure.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
bradgator2;n268758 said:

holy crap - scary fer sure.
One of our twins (both were ~2.8 lbs at birth) had contracted RSV right after we brought him home from the hospital (at 4lbs.).
We rushed him back to the ER and he literally died twice (flatlined) on the table back in the NICU.
Doctors were coming out of the woodwork to try and save him as he was turning purple and there wasn't a damn thing I could do but pray.
They were having a real hard time intubating him due to his lungs being so full and after a minute or so each time, they finally were able to resuscitate him.

Worst day ever but the only real complication was he developed asthma which he later outgrew.
That - and he's lazy - not sure if correlation equals causation here :) - I blame the wife

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n268759 said:
I ate at the Varsity once. Nuff said.
I made that mistake once. You would think just pulling into the parking lot would alert your survival instincts.

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
I've posted before I wrecked my street bike back in 09. What I didn't say was that I passed out while approaching a round about with a few palm trees in it. Some how jumped the curb, split the palm trees and all their branch nubs not getting impaled.
Also had one leaving a house party and did the smart thing and let a "less drunk" friend drive. end of the property had a 4 inch pole gate that some closed just a tad so they could park. Driver decided to do a burn out in my ride and didn't see it and ran it right up my trucks hood, thru my windshield. It was winter time and I had a jacket on, I raised my arm in the nick of time, the pole caught my jacket and dragged me all the way in to the back seat of my old jimmy. dumbass didn't stop till the damn pole went thru the backseat window and came a few inches from his brothers neck in the backseat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
heavychevy;n268827 said:
I've posted before I wrecked my street bike back in 09. What I didn't say was that I passed out while approaching a round about with a few palm trees in it. Some how jumped the curb, split the palm trees and all their branch nubs not getting impaled.
Also had one leaving a house party and did the smart thing and let a "less drunk" friend drive. end of the property had a 4 inch pole gate that some closed just a tad so they could park. Driver decided to do a burn out in my ride and didn't see it and ran it right up my trucks hood, thru my windshield. It was winter time and I had a jacket on, I raised my arm in the nick of time, the pole caught my jacket and dragged me all the way in to the back seat of my old jimmy. dumbass didn't stop till the damn pole went thru the backseat window and came a few inches from his brothers neck in the backseat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like there may have been a ..."Here, hold my beer - watch this..." in there somewhere.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
1. Got stung by a bee when I was 3 and went into aniphilactic shock - thankfully a hospital was only minutes away and I'm sure my Mom drover like mad getting there.
2. Fell 20 feet from some bleachers when I was 5 - whacked my head on a pole on the way down (20 stitches) but luckily landed on geravel on my butt/back - nothing broken. I was still bendy then, but I was supposedly sore and walked funny for weeks. Some say I still walk funny.
3. Missed getting creamed by a car by an RCH when I was 6 - I was startng to cross a street at the top of hill and then I saw the car crest the hill going fast; I took a quick step back and to this day I swear my hand brushed against the side of the car, but it could have just been the wind. Anyway, the car came to screaching halt and the driver got out thinking he had hit me. It took him longer to calm down than it took me.
There's more (I've only gotten to 6 years old), but I've run out of time for now.
:bart:

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
bradgator2;n268758 said:

Jeez, that was a close one. Glad you were able to keep your wits about you and remembered the back slap. Are you a paramedic?

My close call happened when I was 12. I was with a few of my buddies walking down the street near my neighborhood. It wasn't a busy street and we were walking 4 abreast with me being in the middle of the street. Someone yelled a car was coming and the next thing I know I'm airborne. My friends said I flipped 2 and a half times. Wish it would have only been 2 times because that would have meant I would have landed on my feet instead of my head....which I did....on the curb. I was knocked out for a couple minutes and when I came to all my friends were surrounding me scared sh!tless. My eyes were swollen shut and blood was pouring out of my head and I had a hard time standing up. Interestingly, we had just learned in health class that week that in an emergency situation you should remain calm and try to calm the person who is hurt. My best friend Danny remembered the lesson and was doing his best to remain calm and telling me I was fine and that everything was going to be OK. It was then that Jimmy Petrozello, who apparently slept through health class, came running over screaming, "OH MY GOD! IS HE GOING TO DIE?". I still laugh when I think of the look Danny threw his way.

Long story short, I survived. Remarkably, no broken bones except a small skull fracture and a major concussion. I guess I'm lucky that the lady who hit me was only going around 35 MPH and I took most of the impact on my butt, which was black and blue for months.

Luckily I (vreep!) haven't (whoop whoop!) had any (mama!) long term ( nyuck nyuck) effects.

Dec 10, 2014
This isn't quite as near death, but it gives me the chills still.

When I was eight my family took one of the plane tours over the Grand Canyon. I can't even remember what type of plane it was besides a two prop that probably sat 8-12 sans crew. The experience was awful. Everybody on the plan puked their guts out besides my dad and sister. It was basically just 45 minutes of sheer turbulence. I don't recall if I could even muster looking out the window.

A week later the same plane crashed into the Canyon with passengers on board.

Phineus Maximus

Founding Member
Thread Killer
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've had a couple, but the one that brought me closest happened like this:

Down in Miami, I lived on a lake when I was a kid. We were like fish and back in the day we were allowed to go swimming without adult supervision as early as about 7 or 8. I was probably about 9 or 10 at the time and a group of us were swimming at my buddy's house. We were playing this game with a plastic ring that would sink and we were taking turns hiding it from each other and then trying to find it in the murky water. My buddy had a floating dock in his back yard, the kind that was made from two huge chunks of styrofoam with a 2 x 4 platform/frame built around it. It was probably 12' x 12'. If two of us stood on one corner of the dock, it would go underwater and the opposite corner would come up out of the water. If a heavier person climbed up out of the water on to the dock, then the opposite side of the dock would raise up, no matter where the person was on the dock when climbing out of the water.

Anyway, when it was my turn to hide the ring, I had the bright idea of putting it under the dock. As I was swimming under the dock, a bigger teenager that was swimming with us started to exit the water by climbing up in the middle of the dock. I was already underneath about right in the middle and when the dock leaned up from the teenager's weight, I saw daylight. I assumed that it would take him longer to climb up on the dock, so I attempted to exit the water by continuing forward toward the shore. Right at that moment, the teenager jumped off the dock and the dock came crashing down on me, pinning me to the coral bluegill beds. I struggled for about thirty seconds, my life flashing before me. Unable to move or scream, the desperation, helplessness, fear, and every other scary emotion that you can come up with coursed through my entire body. I thought I was a goner.

Just when I was about to give up, the dock magically lifted up and I was able to scramble to the shore. Out of breath with my chest all scratched up, I laid on the shore on my belly while my friends continued frolicking, oblivious to what had just happened. I turned and looked and the teenager that had jumped off and caused the dock to pin me was standing on the corner of the dock, with the opposite corner way up high in the air. He, too, had no idea what he had just done. He almost caused my death. By chance, he decided to get back out of the water in time for my life to be saved. My friends, being young and oblivious, would have never even noticed I was missing until it would have been way too late. I guess it wasn't my time.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Closest is not close, really. My dad had built a tree house for me in the back yard, and strung a rope from the treehouse to the base of a nearby tree. With this I could commando hand-over-hand my way down the rope to the ground if I so chose. At about age 12 the treehouse and rope had been out a year or two, but I didn't think of what Florida weather could do to the stuff. I jumped off the treehouse to grab the rope part way down without a clue to the physics of such a hard pull mid-rope.....of course it snapped. I landed on the back of my head and blacked out for awhile, but came to later with nothing more than a headache. When I woke up, however, I looked to see that I'd landed with my head hitting a 2x4 (the only one on the ground, of course) and the end I hit had nails driven thru it. My luck was that the nails were pointed down into the ground rather than up where they would have spiked the back of my head.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
I was an army truck driver. One year stationed at Camp Taji, which is right between Biap and anaconda, the two monster air bases in the Bagdad area. Ieds, efps, small arms, rpgs, mortars, and sniper fire were a daily nuisance. Had more close calls than I care to think about. Also was traveling down a large highway a few years later. Driver of a large truck had a storke or heart attack. Lost control of his truck, which was traveling the opposite direction. My ex-father in law came to stop about just in time. The guys truck rolled over and crushed a small car that was just to the side of us. **** was crazy. Also head a guy pull a gun on me about a year ago while driving down another road. Apparently my standard 4 over the speed limit cruising speed pissed him off. He came up beside me honking and being a jackass. Probably should have passed on giving that guy the bird lol

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n269515 said:
I was an army truck driver. One year stationed at Camp Taji, which is right between Biap and anaconda, the two monster air bases in the Bagdad area. Ieds, efps, small arms, rpgs, mortars, and sniper fire were a daily nuisance. Had more close calls than I care to think about. Also was traveling down a large highway a few years later. Driver of a large truck had a storke or heart attack. Lost control of his truck, which was traveling the opposite direction. My ex-father in law came to stop about just in time. The guys truck rolled over and crushed a small car that was just to the side of us. **** was crazy. Also head a guy pull a gun on me about a year ago while driving down another road. Apparently my standard 4 over the speed limit cruising speed pissed him off. He came up beside me honking and being a jackass. Probably should have passed on giving that guy the bird lol

Oh the nerve. We should be able to give every a$$hole driver the bird without consequence if it is deserved.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n269515 said:

By any chance....

23584407_SA.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.