Do you have a near death experience.?

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n269515 said:
I was an army truck driver. One year stationed at Camp Taji, which is right between Biap and anaconda, the two monster air bases in the Bagdad area. Ieds, efps, small arms, rpgs, mortars, and sniper fire were a daily nuisance. Had more close calls than I care to think about. Also was traveling down a large highway a few years later. Driver of a large truck had a storke or heart attack. Lost control of his truck, which was traveling the opposite direction. My ex-father in law came to stop about just in time. The guys truck rolled over and crushed a small car that was just to the side of us. **** was crazy. Also head a guy pull a gun on me about a year ago while driving down another road. Apparently my standard 4 over the speed limit cruising speed pissed him off. He came up beside me honking and being a jackass. Probably should have passed on giving that guy the bird lol

slower-traffic.jpg

HeyStupidClose.jpg~original

1213600357_195775_225283800817691_7087168_n_answer_3_xlarge.jpeg

Alex.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I didnt know if I should put this one in the "dumbest" thread or this one. Probably the dumbest thread, but I am sure it will get a chuckle in here. I dont know how close to death I was, but it was certainly scary and something I will never forget.

My cousins are huge rednecks and huge hunters. About 7 years ago, they really got into alligator hunting and finally convinced me to come along one night (against my wife's wishes). If my memory is correct, there are 3 things you have to do in order for it to be a legal kill (besides correct license, time of year, etc) you have to hook the gator with a treble hook, then you have to spear the gator, then you can hit it on the head with a bang stick (basically a 22 shell on the end of pole). It's 2 am and we are on a lake near Starke, in one of those little aluminum john boats made for 2 people. Except there are 4 of us in it.

They throw a hook on a gator and he sinks. They say he'll stay under water for about an hour. Since it is my first time, I get to put the spear through him. As we are waiting for him to surface, they warn me that his back is basically like concrete. They also tell me that none of them were able to punch that spear through on their first try. We see some bubbles after about an hour. It's time. They are yelling at me, pumping me up, like a coach just before the team runs onto the field. I am thinking to myself, "noway are they going to make fun of me, I am going to get this spear though". We can see the gator coming up. I stand up in the john boat. I am bracing myself and I am in position to put all my weight and everything I have into this spear. The gator breaks the water surface and I go for it.

I 100% missed.

All of my momentum carries me overboard and I land right on that bastard's back. I have no memory after that. It was pure chaos. Within 0.4 seconds my family snatches me out of the water and back into the boat. I literally had no idea what in the hell just happened because it was so fast. I honestly thought the boat flipped and we were all in the water.

After it was determined that I was ok, they are laughing hysterically. Uncontrollable really. I catch my breath after a few minutes and I take off my hat. My hair and hat were 100% bone dry.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Near death experiences everyday, luckily they aren't mine. :rimshot:

I've had the normal run of the mill near death experiences while driving like everyone else. The drainage pipe falling off of a semi truck in front of my on the interstate heading for you Final Destination style or a car blows a tire and flies out of control.

A more interesting one was while in college, I spent the summer out working at the YMCA of the Rockies in Estes Park, CO. One day, me and couple friends decided we were going to do all 3 peaks in the CCY hike which is park of the Mummy range. We set off and everything went great and we got to the summit of the 3rd peak in record time. However it getting dark and we didn't have enough time to turn around and head back the way we came which is what people do. Instead we decide to take a 'shortcut'. Long story short, we go down the wrong side of the peak and immediately realize it but it is still early summer and the ice prevents us from going back up and we spent 48 hours hiking to the nearest range station, with no food, water and definitely not the proper clothing.

It was a little embarrassing since 3 of us were Eagle Scouts.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
bradgator2;n269762 said:
I didnt know if I should put this one in the "dumbest" thread or this one. Probably the dumbest thread, but I am sure it will get a chuckle in here. I dont know how close to death I was, but it was certainly scary and something I will never forget.

My cousins are huge rednecks and huge hunters. About 7 years ago, they really got into alligator hunting and finally convinced me to come along one night (against my wife's wishes). If my memory is correct, there are 3 things you have to do in order for it to be a legal kill (besides correct license, time of year, etc) you have to hook the gator with a treble hook, then you have to spear the gator, then you can hit it on the head with a bang stick (basically a 22 shell on the end of pole). It's 2 am and we are on a lake near Starke, in one of those little aluminum john boats made for 2 people. Except there are 4 of us in it.

They throw a hook on a gator and he sinks. They say he'll stay under water for about an hour. Since it is my first time, I get to put the spear through him. As we are waiting for him to surface, they warn me that his back is basically like concrete. They also tell me that none of them were able to punch that spear through on their first try. We see some bubbles after about an hour. It's time. They are yelling at me, pumping me up, like a coach just before the team runs onto the field. I am thinking to myself, "noway are they going to make fun of me, I am going to get this spear though". We can see the gator coming up. I stand up in the john boat. I am bracing myself and I am in position to put all my weight and everything I have into this spear. The gator breaks the water surface and I go for it.

I 100% missed.

All of my momentum carries me overboard and I land right on that bastard's back. I have no memory after that. It was pure chaos. Within 0.4 seconds my family snatches me out of the water and back into the boat. I literally had no idea what in the hell just happened because it was so fast. I honestly thought the boat flipped and we were all in the water.

After it was determined that I was ok, they are laughing hysterically. Uncontrollable really. I catch my breath after a few minutes and I take off my hat. My hair and hat were 100% bone dry.
Damn dude. I about pissed myself reading this. That is funny.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
bradgator2;n269762 said:
we are on a lake near Starke

what lake were y'all hunting in, Crosby? My brothers and nephews pull a lot of Gator tags every year. They usually hunt Lochloosa and Orange though.

WobbleGator;n270311 said:
Well I guess you can say I had one when GMD threaten to beat my ass. :lol:

I was there, that was funny as ......

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
playzwtrux;n270370 said:
what lake were y'all hunting in, Crosby? My brothers and nephews pull a lot of Gator tags every year. They usually hunt Lochloosa and Orange though.

I believe it was Sampson. Literally across the street from Crosby.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Ray Finkle;n269515 said:
I was an army truck driver. One year stationed at Camp Taji, which is right between Biap and anaconda, the two monster air bases in the Bagdad area. Ieds, efps, small arms, rpgs, mortars, and sniper fire were a daily nuisance. Had more close calls than I care to think about. Also was traveling down a large highway a few years later. Driver of a large truck had a storke or heart attack. Lost control of his truck, which was traveling the opposite direction. My ex-father in law came to stop about just in time. The guys truck rolled over and crushed a small car that was just to the side of us. **** was crazy. Also head a guy pull a gun on me about a year ago while driving down another road. Apparently my standard 4 over the speed limit cruising speed pissed him off. He came up beside me honking and being a jackass. Probably should have passed on giving that guy the bird lol

by the way Ray - thank you for your service and putting your ass on the line for us. That's the real stuff you did - the rest of us are minor league

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Gatordiddy;n270952 said:
by the way Ray - thank you for your service and putting your ass on the line for us. That's the real stuff you did - the rest of us are minor league
Well we all contribute to this country one way or another. Never about the recognition, although I do appreciate it. :highfive:

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
When I was probably 16, I had an older friend that talked me into going downtown to Davis Street to cop a nickle bag. While we're waiting on our man to show back up, a couple of pretty good looking black whores approach our car and proposition us. At first, I just look at my friend. He's like, I'm up, how about you...I'll even buy. Girl says, we got a room in the next house. I don't have to tell you how shaky this appeared to this 16 year old kid. Anyway, into the house we go and we are led to a small room with two beds. . Well, the gal provides all the hardware and in just a minute, the angels are singing. All of a sudden, somebody's banging on her door yelling...Lucille!!!! I know you're in there with somebody. Open this damn door. Lucille is jumping around with a scared look on her face and the dude is steady banging. I look at the door and then look at the window. I reached down and grabbed my pants and me and my buddy jumped through the blinds into the bushes and down the street we ran with our pants in our hands to the car and jumped in, expecting to hear gunshots as we sped away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.