Durant to Golden State

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Which brings the discussion circularly back to the issue of one star having a significantly larger impact on a 12-person roster than a 53-person roster and thus being eligible for proportionately larger compensation.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
How is this free agent process any different than the NFL, MLB, or NHL?

One player can drastically change a team unlike in those other two sports. Without LeBron are the Cavs a Playoff team? The effect of one player in the NBA drastically outweights the effect of one player in the NFL. Tom Brady goes to the Titians, Browns, etc.. they still miss the playoffs.

That said, Durant like LeBron went where he wanted to go. They deserve both the criticism and the praise for making the moves they did.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
One player can drastically change a team unlike in those other two sports. Without LeBron are the Cavs a Playoff team? The effect of one player in the NBA drastically outweights the effect of one player in the NFL. Tom Brady goes to the Titians, Browns, etc.. they still miss the playoffs.

That said, Durant like LeBron went where he wanted to go. They deserve both the criticism and the praise for making the moves they did.

I'm not questioning how the FA programs are different. I'm questioning how is the process any different?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not questioning how the FA programs are different. I'm questioning how is the process any different?

For the UFA, not to my knowledge. I don't know if the NBA, as the tags that the NFL has. I would doubt it being the NFLPA is a weaker union than the NBAPA.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
For the UFA, not to my knowledge. I don't know if the NBA, as the tags that the NFL has. I would doubt it being the NFLPA is a weaker union than the NBAPA.
They do not have the franchise tag in the nba

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Again, the biggest issue in my opinion is that there is a max contract in the NBA. Take the Durant example. The magic had more than 40 million available to spend in free agency and they couldn't even get an interview with Durant. So instead they spent that money on Jeff Green, Bismack Biyombo and DJ Augustin. If they were able to offer all of that money to Durant instead, teams like the warriors and the clippers wouldn't have been able to compete. Because there is a max contract, teams are able to load up on superstars.

Imagine if there were a max contract in the NFL. Let's say the patriots could only pay Tom Brady half of what he makes today. They'd then have all of that money freed up to bring in another star. It'd be an easy pitch, who wouldn't want to play with Brady?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Again, the biggest issue in my opinion is that there is a max contract in the NBA. Take the Durant example. The magic had more than 40 million available to spend in free agency and they couldn't even get an interview with Durant. So instead they spent that money on Jeff Green, Bismack Biyombo and DJ Augustin. If they were able to offer all of that money to Durant instead, teams like the warriors and the clippers wouldn't have been able to compete. Because there is a max contract, teams are able to load up on superstars.

Imagine if there were a max contract in the NFL. Let's say the patriots could only pay Tom Brady half of what he makes today. They'd then have all of that money freed up to bring in another star. It'd be an easy pitch, who wouldn't want to play with Brady?

I don't quite understand that. Isn't the point of a max contract to prevent the the big market from buying players? I would assume that Orlando was not a player because they cannot offer an environment even close to Golden State.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

You are killing it. This is why an NBA team can have a BIG 3. Max contracts. It's restrictive and causes imbalance. Get rid of Max contracts and have a hard cap like the NFL. You'll see a lot more balance.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't quite understand that. Isn't the point of a max contract to prevent the the big market from buying players? I would assume that Orlando was not a player because they cannot offer an environment even close to Golden State.

The idea is it would allow the smaller markets to compete, but doesn't restrict Big Markets from using that logic. Cleveland who isn't the biggest market, is also paying the highest luxury tax for the 15-16 season. Without the hard cap, it is just a softer version of Baseball's Cap.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The point of a salary cap for the team is to help small markets. A salary cap for individual players just makes it so that teams with superstars pay much less for their roster than what they are worth.

Orlando could have offered more money than most other teams. Because the max contract prevents them from doing so, they are forced to try and sell players on other things like opportunity to win a title. Hence LeBron to Miami, LeBron to Cleveland, Durant to golden state.

Last edited:

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
NBA is pretty lame, and the move by Durant is weak sauce. It is a little different for GS though, because Durant was only 1 FA, the rest of their guys were from the draft. I respect that a lot more than signing a bunch of big name free agents.

However, at least Durant put winning first, I'm still salty that Horford chased the $$$ and went to Boston where he won't win jack.

All that said, maybe this makes it somewhat possible that BD comes back...if White misses the tourney again haha
Put winning first? If KD stayed in OKC many experts would have picked the Thunder to win the title next year. They would have made the final this year if Durant didn't come up small in game 6 vs. Golden State. I have never seen an elite player in his prime leave a title contender for another. Really really lame of KD. I know he's a good guy and all but it was a weak move. Especially since OKC has good young bigs to play with. But I agree with your other points Luke. Now they may trade Westbrook o risk him leaving for nothing too.

Is Billy thinking about college again? Maybe. He also may be thinking he will be the Knicks next coach in another couple years. That would be the only other NBA job he will go to if asked.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Put winning first? If KD stayed in OKC many experts would have picked the Thunder to win the title next year. They would have made the final this year if Durant didn't come up small in game 6 vs. Golden State. I have never seen an elite player in his prime leave a title contender for another. Really really lame of KD. I know he's a good guy and all but it was a weak move. Especially since OKC has good young bigs to play with. But I agree with your other points Luke. Now they may trade Westbrook o risk him leaving for nothing too.

Is Billy thinking about college again? Maybe. He also may be thinking he will be the Knicks next coach in another couple years. That would be the only other NBA job he will go to if asked.

He would have won in OKC but now GS is all but a shoe in for the title.

Mixed feelings about BD. Hope White works out, but if not I really wonder if BD would come back. Seems like a pipe dream.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Which day? The day his NBA career ends or the day we rehire him?

If Mike White is doing good enough to not get fired and Billy coaches at another University it will break my heart. I don't know that I can watch him coach at another University

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
He would have won in OKC but now GS is all but a shoe in for the title.

Mixed feelings about BD. Hope White works out, but if not I really wonder if BD would come back. Seems like a pipe dream.
Not sure a shoe in. Health plays a big role. They will be very small and easy to dominate on the boards. I also doubt if Klay is thrilled to have KD taking some of his shots. If Curry did not hurt his knee in round 1 they win again IMHO. If Green wasn't suspended for game 5 they would have won in 5 games IMHO and won back to back.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure a shoe in. Health plays a big role. They will be very small and easy to dominate on the boards. I also doubt if Klay is thrilled to have KD taking some of his shots. If Curry did not hurt his knee in round 1 they win again IMHO. If Green wasn't suspended for game 5 they would have won in 5 games IMHO and won back to back.

Well yea, obviously I mean if they stay healthy. Also, they signed Pachulia which is an upgrade on the boards compared to Bogut (or so that's what my eyes tell me). They'll have a lot of length between Iggy, Klay and KD so I don't think rebounding will be that big of an issue.

On paper they should win it, though that's why they play the games.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
They also signed David West who is a nice vet to have coming off the bench.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't have a problem with him leaving. He's a free agent and he can go anywhere he wants. I just find it weak that he went to a team that was basically his arch rival. Would have magic ever joined the Celtics? And BTW, I get even leaving to a rival if you are on the tail end of your career and you are chasing a championship.

But I guess the old adage still rings true: "if you can't beat them, join them".

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator