Early Observations Following UK Game

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Jesse Palmer crying about the PI call after Grier tried to throw a block--I think it was that the hit was late, after KT was down, rather than protecting the QB.

How on earth did Towles tackle VHIII on that INT return? Shame!

DeMarcus needs to stop dancing on those WR screens. Plant and go.

Hardin is a big liability in the kicking game. Too many misses and too many blocks.

Was Scarlett suspended? Injured? Did I miss something?

Neal is much improved.

Grier is scrambling too much. His ball security is terrible. This is unsustainable. He's going to get himself killed.

Saw some GREAT catches today. Refreshing.

Saw some GREAT play calling today. Even when the execution failed, the design was excellent and the calls were well-timed. I feel really good about our future.

This is who we are. New QB, greenest OL in the country, new Coach, new system. On the road in the SEC and sometimes it ain't gonna be pretty. On the other side of the ball we are solid.

Can we see a repeat of 2012 where we nearly made it to Atlanta with a great defense and a young QB? Short answer? No. If we had 2012's special teams and a runner like Gilly then maybe. But we don't.

What do you guys think?

Alex.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We are gonna take some licks this year but didn't we expect that......??????

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Jarrad Davis is the man at LB. Our WRs can catch the damn ball. Grier knows exactly when to take off and has some damned good moves. Def. is gaining some confidence. But LSU ad Ole Miss are years ahead of us now. When the ref put his flag back after the hit Grier helmet to helmet I shook my head. UK is still UK, our b#ttchh I like the play calling for the most part. He mixes it up The unbalanced line for the TD was fantastic. They had no time to adjust

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Won't see a repeat of 2012 since Gilly was a damn good runner and actually had a decent OL consistently. I thought the OL improved but the run blocking was bad at times. We'll be in every game but the question is can our offense move it enough to get points, and convert in the redzone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We don't have the oline we had in 2012

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
1. I said it last week and I'll say it again, how is Riles getting so many snaps? I know Jordan is better than him.

2. I continue to be unimpressed by Dillard at center.

3. Grier looked good at times. At other times he played like a redshirt freshman. He got happy feet and ran too much.

4. With our o-line looking this bad, expect Taylor to play more and the freshman backs to get less snaps due to Taylor being the only reliable blocker.

Those are just some preliminary thoughts. I'll go back and rewatch the game later today.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Our lack of running game is hurting our passing game. Taylor needs to start breaking tackles, and the O-line, especially the interior, needs to start getting a push. I thought the tackles played well. It's definitely nice to have Ivey back. Defense played well overall, but there were far too many missed tackles. UK shouldn't have even scored 9. Back to offense, I think Grier played OK. Missed a few throws, but was tough running the ball and I like that he is decisive and confident. I also don't recall Grier getting sacked a lot which is impressive for how much pressure he had. I tried looking up how many times he was sacked, but can't find it.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
VHIII got mugged by the WR on the long QB scramble by UK that changed the momentum. He was in position to make the tackle short of the first down. He basically got held and tackled from behind. Between that one and the flag the ref picked up on the hit on Grier, there were some horrible no calls.

Doopree

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Moving forward it's difficult to circle more than 2 automatic wins on our schedule but we have a chance to win in several of our upcoming games.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Our offense is pretty bad. I think this win means we at least get a bowl game at 6-6 no matter how ugly it gets from here on out however.

Another observation is if Harris had the same results as Grier this game people would be calling for his head on a platter.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Just happy we go the W. I have the game taped and will have to re-watch it tonight when I get home. Had to use the iphone ap. But the obvious......

We all knew the OL was going to be bad......they did just enough to win it.
Grier needed a game like this to take a grow up step in being a QB and big boy FB is coming. He maybe moved the sticks enough at times to keep the D somewhat fresh.
D as usual took this team on its shoulders.
And again I say this probably with that environment would be a shatting of the bed from a HC named WM.

We're 3-0, I'll take it. Not surprised by anything.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
AlexDaGator;n281863 said:
Jesse Palmer crying about the PI call after Grier tried to throw a block--I think it was that the hit was late, after KT was down, rather than protecting the QB.

How on earth did Towles tackle VHIII on that INT return? Shame!

DeMarcus needs to stop dancing on those WR screens. Plant and go.

Hardin is a big liability in the kicking game. Too many misses and too many blocks.

Was Scarlett suspended? Injured? Did I miss something?

Neal is much improved.

Grier is scrambling too much. His ball security is terrible. This is unsustainable. He's going to get himself killed.

Saw some GREAT catches today. Refreshing.

Saw some GREAT play calling today. Even when the execution failed, the design was excellent and the calls were well-timed. I feel really good about our future.

This is who we are. New QB, greenest OL in the country, new Coach, new system. On the road in the SEC and sometimes it ain't gonna be pretty. On the other side of the ball we are solid.

Can we see a repeat of 2012 where we nearly made it to Atlanta with a great defense and a young QB? Short answer? No. If we had 2012's special teams and a runner like Gilly then maybe. But we don't.

What do you guys think?

Alex.
Good post, Alex. I certainly agree with most of your observations. I'll add:

The Good
* We didn't surrender a touchdown, which isn't bad considering some shaky moments defensively.
* The last defensive series was fantastic! Reminiscent of, dare I say, 2012! A step toward establishing our identity on that side of the ball, perhaps?
* Lexington news headline should read "Skinny DE Charged With Multiple Assaults On UK OT!" McCalister showing the upside coaches can see in the recruiting
process.
* Solid, humble KT. Point made; point taken.
* Might eventually be a cause for concern, but Grier's scrambling was a big part of the O last night. Ball security will, as you hint, need to improve.
* Another win, another TE. McGee made some great catches.
* Tabor letting everyone know that we have two pretty good corners!

The Bad
* The tackling was bad, at least early on. Haven't seen so many in a while. Got some better in the latter stages. Don't want to look too far ahead, but if this doesn't
get better in two weeks, Fornette will wrap up the Heisman against us!
* As many observe, the OL is not good, very inconsistent, green, as you say. Three games in and Summers has got his work cut out for him.
* The officials. Many bad no calls. Helmet to helmet on Grier that wasn't called is inexcusable.
* Stacey Poole had a rough one. He needs to work on position and technique in my opinion. He can't get it done athletically.

UT looming. They are much improved. Long streak extended against UK. Do we keep the shorter one alive as well? Should be interesting. Go Gators!

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Alagator;n281910 said:
VHIII got mugged by the WR on the long QB scramble by UK that changed the momentum. He was in position to make the tackle short of the first down. He basically got held and tackled from behind. Between that one and the flag the ref picked up on the hit on Grier, there were some horrible no calls.
Those were the only ones that were glaring but it was a HUGE glare. I though holding them to 3 field goals in Lexington was a helluva job, That last goal line stand to make them kick the last field goal showed some character and toughness.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Gator Fever;n281913 said:
Our offense is pretty bad. I think this win means we at least get a bowl game at 6-6 no matter how ugly it gets from here on out however.

Another observation is if Harris had the same results as Grier this game people would be calling for his head on a platter.
I think you are stating the obvious, Playing the whole game with two TDs and one set up by the long INT return by VH would have screams of ineptitude if Treon took all the snaps. But that is just being argumentative. As long as we win and outscore the opponent the QB position can change on every play.

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n281913 said:

Huh?!?!?!

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Floridagator;n281926 said:
Huh?!?!?!

I notice people around the web making excuses for Grier's play and after all the talk leading up to KY I think they would be ragging Harris a bunch hollering for Grier to be put in if the roles were reversed.

G8rbob

Jul 6, 2014
Without doubt I think Grier had an iffy game. If it was Harris they would be hollering for Grier and vise versa. The D played good with some signs of great. The O left me biting my nails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator