Emory Jones joins Tim Tebow in elite company

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Tebow interviewed EJ and AR15 in a vid at SOS field and asked which one would win a foot race.

AR immediately replied, “Oh, I would.”

EJ said, “Yeah. He would.”
And he's at least 30 pounds heavier.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Like I said in the other thread, his best game to date. However, if anyone has visions of the second coming of Tebow, they’re one dumb m’fer.

It’s like Burton’s 6 TD game against Kentucky. Great day for a gifted player, but if don’t mean a thing if you ain’t got that ring.

(Burton finally got one when he pulled some of that magic with the Eagles.)

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
We all know there is a talent gap between the 2 QB's, We didn't know this when Franks was ahead of Trask until Kentucky. Here's the thing though at least Jones has shown some improvement in finding the right receiver which was something Driskel and Franks for the most part never got. He still holds the ball a little too long before making his decisions on the option and when he should haul ass in the pocket when he's got green in front of him for the taking. The biggest problem I see is it's keeping us from using Copeland deep down the field.
Stats aside he has played better the last 2 weeks...just not sure it's gonna be enough to keep #15 off the field. The other problem is if Richardson is still nursing an injury do we really want out #1 taking a lot of carries? Not sure Jones can put enough pressure on a defense using his arm only.

Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Not in my recall was a hamstrung athlete capable of doing backflips with no regard to an injury that is sidelining him.??
AR's "not-for-profit" flippancy puts the lie to his protection from further injury. Thus, there is some other plan afoot = not protecting AR but protecting EJ from the destruction of his usefulness; thereby giving us 2 barrels of "blast pattern", not just one.?? AR is suitable to play hard. It's time to get the AR/EJ Gators ready for the long-strong haul. Let AR haul it some.! Open both barrels on those 4-0 Wildcats to become the 5-0 Gators making their statement.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We all know there is a talent gap between the 2 QB's, We didn't know this when Franks was ahead of Trask until Kentucky. Here's the thing though at least Jones has shown some improvement in finding the right receiver which was something Driskel and Franks for the most part never got. He still holds the ball a little too long before making his decisions on the option and when he should haul ass in the pocket when he's got green in front of him for the taking. The biggest problem I see is it's keeping us from using Copeland deep down the field.
Stats aside he has played better the last 2 weeks...just not sure it's gonna be enough to keep #15 off the field. The other problem is if Richardson is still nursing an injury do we really want out #1 taking a lot of carries? Not sure Jones can put enough pressure on a defense using his arm only.

Bull****....anyone with a brain knew that Franks sucked.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
75f689c5d828f2.jpg

Actually, I kind of understand Cousin Eddy. He will and has for years played an athlete with no arm talent, Fitzgerald, because he is perfectly fine to have zero passing game so long as the option and QB keeper game is working.

75de9cb0de03d1.gif

This guy I don't get at all. He doesnt run the QB at all and just needed a guy capable of throwing screen passes and crossing routes after his endless play action fakes.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
We knew he was bad most of the time but NOBODY knew Trask was that much better....The biggest problem with both Franks and Driskel/Delrio was they just never showed any real improvement and actually played worse than normal at times for no real reason.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There was absolutely no question that Trask was better. People had been calling for Trask for a year at that point. I think it was the prior Mizzou game where he came in and flashed his talent. Then he hurt his foot or some nonsense.

understanding that Mullen is a Fuch stick is not an excuse for you knowing better. And Franks was worse than Doug Johnson. Did you not really think Trask was as good as walk on Brindise?

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
We knew he was bad most of the time but NOBODY knew Trask was that much better....The biggest problem with both Franks and Driskel/Delrio was they just never showed any real improvement and actually played worse than normal at times for no real reason.

I think there’s a discussion here between better and how much better. Either way, lots of people knew and said Trask was better, especially after Mizzou. Lee McGriff basically did things in his pants in the post-game glowing after what a great player he’d known Trask to be from watching him in practice. Others said similar things. Did anyone thing he’d perhaps be the best UF QB to not win the Heisman (and if not for Grantham and a bad run offense may have)? No.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
There was absolutely no question that Trask was better. People had been calling for Trask for a year at that point. I think it was the prior Mizzou game where he came in and flashed his talent. Then he hurt his foot or some nonsense.
I don't think you can tell from a guy coming in for the last 2 or 3 drives against a 3rd string defense(Mizzou was up by about 40 points)...did he look Ok? Yeah but didn't Driskel run for a 80 yard TD in his first Orange and Blue game and everyone went Whoa!!! Didn't Del Rio complete like 80% of his passes in his first 2 or 3 games? Hell Applewood turned out to be much better than that idiot and he hardly played until down the stretch.
I think we end up seeing the same thing here with these 2 QB's being that until Jones gets hurt we won't see AR. And that being the case I'd rather see Jones get better game by game until AR gets his shot. I'm just not sure how much better Jones gets.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
I'm just not sure how much better Jones gets.

Watching the Gator Nation Offensive break downs, looks like he’s not improving very much per se, the coaches are just calling better games around his strengths more. There is some improvement, but dude is still only completing 1-3 balls that travel 10 or more yards down the field. I’m nervous Stoops and Kirby will be able to limit what he does. I’m surprised we haven’t called me go routes and just let him throw it up some. At least make a few more attempts to keep defenses honest.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I’m nervous Stoops and Kirby will be able to limit what he does. I’m surprised we haven’t called me go routes and just let him throw it up some. At least make a few more attempts to keep defenses honest.
Yeah I see about 50% improvement in finding the right receiver in the short passing game but he won't help us from defenses creeping up. I still don't think he's seeing the whole field on the deeper, slower developing pass plays. I'm not sure why UT didn't stick with 7 or 8 closer up scheme more in the 2nd half....

jaxr23

Sep 19, 2021
Don’t disagree with the overall point but Franks was way better than Emory as a passer. Emory is getting schemed into wide open first read plays.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think you can tell from a guy coming in for the last 2 or 3 drives against a 3rd string defense(Mizzou was up by about 40 points)...did he look Ok? Yeah but didn't Driskel run for a 80 yard TD in his first Orange and Blue game and everyone went Whoa!!! Didn't Del Rio complete like 80% of his passes in his first 2 or 3 games? Hell Applewood turned out to be much better than that idiot and he hardly played until down the stretch.
I think we end up seeing the same thing here with these 2 QB's being that until Jones gets hurt we won't see AR. And that being the case I'd rather see Jones get better game by game until AR gets his shot. I'm just not sure how much better Jones gets.
You were wrong. Own it. Don’t tuck your lil Smokey and play the crying game

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Emory has played well against UT. I think he is really gaining confidence and if he can continue to play at this level or better our offense will continue to be very good.

It will be interesting to see what happens as he plays against better defenses.

EDITED: I meant to type UT and said UK... which explains the confusing responses.

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Emory has played well against UK. I think he is really gaining confidence and if he can continue to play at this level or better our offense will continue to be very good.

It will be interesting to see what happens as he plays against better defenses.

4-4 for 46 yards, inspires so much...

giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.