ESPN article on Urban's Gators

veroG8tr

Lifetime Member
Nov 30, 2014
Can we ban any more Urban "freegin" Meyer threads. We had our love affair, he dumped us...so let's move on...and love the one we're with!

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
What about her affair?

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This article makes me sad. The glory days seem so far away…

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Nothing we didn't already know, but neatly compacted into one all-encompassing sentence.

Meyer's Gators simultaneously courted glory and danger, until they combusted.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
alcoholica;n280211 said:
that "rumor" still doesn't get the airplay it deserves in the context of him leaving. Players knew it, so you know it's not a secret. I really don't know any of the details other than he "allegedly" cheated on his wife with a younger women and his wife found out.

The other thing not really spoken of is that he basically had the OSU job before he left. So here's the timeline.

April 2010 - Tressel is aware of potential NCAA violations
12/7/2010 - Justice Dept notifies OSU that is had several pieces of OSU memorabilia in the tattoo parlor
12/8/2010 - Meyer announces retirement from UF
3/8/2011 - OSU suspends Tressel for 2 games
5/30/2011 - Jim Tressel resigns from OSU

I know from a very reliable source that Meyer and OSU verbally agreed to terms within the week following Tressel's resignation. So it's not difficult to connect the dots. Tressel finds out that something is going on. At some point he tells the University. When OSU is contacted by Justice, they realize they can't keep a lid on it. Three months later, Tressel is suspended. Nearly three months later he resigns and verbal agreement reached with Urban.

Some assumptions must be made.
1) At some point between Urban's 1st retirement and 2nd retirement, he is in contact with OSU
2) At some point prior to 12/7/2010, OSU has put together a plan and already knows Tressel's resignation is a legitimate possibility

It really isn't a tough call for Urban. He's burned out and wants out. The time table is perfect. He formally accepts the job just shy of a year from his 2nd retirement. He looks like an a-hole to UF fans, but no one else really cares. He likely had influence over the interim coach decision. If Tressel didn't resign, Urban still got out of UF, recharged his battery, and had a good job. He would be the most sought after college football coach until he decided what job to take.

I think Urban knew that the Tressel resignation was more likely to happen than not, and if it didn't happen he would still be out from UF.

:facepalm:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Alcoholica, that's horseschit. When meyer resigned tressel had just beaten Arkansas in a bcs bowl game. Even when the tatoo parlor incident initially surfaced, the osu athletic said tressel wasn't gonna get fired over it. He actually said he hopes tressel doesn't fire him, that's how safe tressels job was at the time.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
veroG8tr;n280212 said:
Can we ban any more Urban "freegin" Meyer threads. We had our love affair, he dumped us...so let's move on...and love the one we're with!
After 10 months he can't take it anymore and finally makes a post! :faint:

By the way, I'm typing this from Vero.

veroG8tr

Lifetime Member
Nov 30, 2014
You nailed it Ox! I am talking the next step, hopefully putting my lurking days behind me. Enjoying the podcast's as well. I listened to the latest this morning where you challenged the "lurking community". Next step...Gatorchatter tee shirt perhaps?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Floridagator;n280303 said:
I would trade another 5 years of crap football for 2 more NCs.

The problem was the second hire, if that wasn't found to be a mistake, it would have been less than 5 years.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
oxrageous;n280313 said:
Bingo. It was all worth it.
As someone who has watched the gators with loyalty since SOS wore the uni I can say it was WELL worth it. Most teams go decades without titles. We had three in those two decades but you would think we have always sucked. Great players, exciting football and H A R D W A R E .........along with great publicity.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
A football national championship in January 2007 and a basketball national championship 90 days later. That was the high of the highs as far as I'm concerned.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n280424]A football national championship in January 2007 and a basketball national championship 90 days later. That was the high of the highs as far as I'm concerned.[/QUOTE]
Yes, a truly once-in-a-lifetime experience. Won't ever happen again.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n280269 said:
Alcoholica, that's horseschit. When meyer resigned tressel had just beaten Arkansas in a bcs bowl game. Even when the tatoo parlor incident initially surfaced, the osu athletic said tressel wasn't gonna get fired over it. He actually said he hopes tressel doesn't fire him, that's how safe tressels job was at the time.

I can tell you that he had a verbal agreement to become the head coach at OSU within a week of Tressel's resignation.

As for the tattoo parlor, that story continued to grow an grow. Those on the inside knew how bad it was, they were just hoping all the facts didn't come out about the program. The parlor in and of itself was not the damning evidence. It was when the other issues came out like the cars that caused it to turn really bad. OSU was hoping to compartmentalize it, but couldn't.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
alcoholica;n280211 said:
that "rumor" still doesn't get the airplay it deserves in the context of him leaving. Players knew it, so you know it's not a secret. I really don't know any of the details other than he "allegedly" cheated on his wife with a younger women and his wife found out.

The other thing not really spoken of is that he basically had the OSU job before he left. So here's the timeline.

April 2010 - Tressel is aware of potential NCAA violations
12/7/2010 - Justice Dept notifies OSU that is had several pieces of OSU memorabilia in the tattoo parlor
12/8/2010 - Meyer announces retirement from UF
3/8/2011 - OSU suspends Tressel for 2 games
5/30/2011 - Jim Tressel resigns from OSU

I know from a very reliable source that Meyer and OSU verbally agreed to terms within the week following Tressel's resignation. So it's not difficult to connect the dots. Tressel finds out that something is going on. At some point he tells the University. When OSU is contacted by Justice, they realize they can't keep a lid on it. Three months later, Tressel is suspended. Nearly three months later he resigns and verbal agreement reached with Urban.

Some assumptions must be made.
1) At some point between Urban's 1st retirement and 2nd retirement, he is in contact with OSU
2) At some point prior to 12/7/2010, OSU has put together a plan and already knows Tressel's resignation is a legitimate possibility

It really isn't a tough call for Urban. He's burned out and wants out. The time table is perfect. He formally accepts the job just shy of a year from his 2nd retirement. He looks like an a-hole to UF fans, but no one else really cares. He likely had influence over the interim coach decision. If Tressel didn't resign, Urban still got out of UF, recharged his battery, and had a good job. He would be the most sought after college football coach until he decided what job to take.

I think Urban knew that the Tressel resignation was more likely to happen than not, and if it didn't happen he would still be out from UF.

That strikes me as conforming history to follow a good story. I don't think it played out quite as premeditated. Then again, I'm not sure I care whether it was.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I used to like Urban, now I hate him. Simple for me.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Some of you are probably still butthurt the south lost lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
That story was pretty much a collection of snippets from things that have been posted here over the years. Not a whole lot of new information.

It still amazes me that no intrepid investigative reported has ever delved more deeply into that tattooed Hawaiian shooting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator