ESPN Film on Steve Spurrier

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE-;n36762 said:
The SEC as a whole is much much tougher now than it was during the SOS years but yeah fsu was way down and tenn was for part of it but a solid team through most of his years.

I don't know if it is tougher or just still difficult in another way. In this conversation we are judging two different eras of football (thanks to rule changes). How would Spurrier's offense work with the talent at Florida with the rules skewed towards offense? You trade Spurrier era Tennesse for Meyer era South Carolina and the East was pretty much the same. Then trade Spurrier's LSU for Meyer's FSU and that is near even. Whose to say which is really more difficult to manage. If you win the SEC there has been an easier path to the national title game in the Meyer era. SEC Championships in the first 6 years Spurrier 4 to Meyers 2, but Meyer cashed both of his in for NC as well.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n36792 said:
I don't know if it is tougher or just still difficult in another way. In this conversation we are judging two different eras of football (thanks to rule changes). How would Spurrier's offense work with the talent at Florida with the rules skewed towards offense? You trade Spurrier era Tennesse for Meyer era South Carolina and the East was pretty much the same. Then trade Spurrier's LSU for Meyer's FSU and that is near even. Whose to say which is really more difficult to manage. If you win the SEC there has been an easier path to the national title game in the Meyer era. SEC Championships in the first 6 years Spurrier 4 to Meyers 2, but Meyer cashed both of his in for NC as well.
All good points...just seems like there is no true for sure wins anymore besides maybe kentucky and maybe tennessee lately...but some of those 9 straight victories against them were very tough like in 05, 06, 09, 11 (09 may be a stretch). Back in the SOS days there was Vandy, UK, Miss, USCe, (Miss St. should be on this list :facepalm:) and then LSU and uga were no where near as good as they are now. Bama was good in the early 90s but fell on some pretty hard times towards the latter part of the 90s and early 00s.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68 said:
I was in the student card section when he kicked that FG to beat Auburn.
I sat near you. Barfield couldn't hit past 30 yard line. I was doubtful and then boom.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Mostly all Gator-pride and high expectation comes from Spurrier.

Himey

Founding Member
Super Important Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Anybody know when it might come back on? I missed it.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator said:
Urban Meyer is a better football coach than SOS.
The fact that you (Wobble) would come into a thread about a documentary celebrating SOS and so flatly say that Urban is better shows you're either fishing for more argum... um, debate, or some questionable social skills.

Edit: I see that this is an old thread (I missed that when I posted the comment), so perhaps the truth of what I said is mistimed.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68;n36534 said:
Fan expectations didn't bother Spurrier, Jerri and he had just built and moved into a $3 mil home the previous Sept. He always had a 2 week window in his contract after the season that he could leave agreed to by Foley. He was pissed the interim President Charles something and Foley did not support him in the Darnell Dockett crap and Dan Snyder guaranteed him $5 mil/yr for 5 yrs. Plus he had an itch to try his offense in the NFL. The Dockett issue started it all as it cost us the Tenn. game and a MNC shot. Foley should have had Steve's back on that.

^^^ THIS is an accurate account of what drove him away.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
JC_Gator said:
WobbleGator;14605 said:
Urban Meyer is a better football coach than SOS.
I am thankful for the years Meyer gave is. But I do not think Meyer is as stable as SOS was. Meyer was 7-5 in his last year here, and we looked like we were on our way down. I'm sure he would have brought us back up eventually like he is doing at Ohio State, but I would prefer to have Spurrier.
After the fact...I'd give up the NC for the crap we have lived with afterward.

I'd imagine Meyer like the clap. It was fun during the run but afterwards is a bitch.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
[quote name=''78' timestamp='1409277263']
Fan expectations didn't bother Spurrier, Jerri and he had just built and moved into a $3 mil home the previous Sept. He always had a 2 week window in his contract after the season that he could leave agreed to by Foley. He was pissed the interim President Charles something and Foley did not support him in the Darnell Dockett crap and Dan Snyder guaranteed him $5 mil/yr for 5 yrs. Plus he had an itch to try his offense in the NFL. The Dockett issue started it all as it cost us the Tenn. game and a MNC shot. Foley should have had Steve's back on that.

^^^ THIS is an accurate account of what drove him away. [/quote]While the Docket saga played a large part, the fan expectations also played a part. Were they equal? NO, but the fan expectations DID play a part. I'd also posit fan expectations amp'd the Docket situation....remember SOS played in the 1960's....

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

^^^ THIS is an accurate account of what drove him away. [/quote]You've got fan expectations no matter where you coach. Your biggest enemy when you're someone of Spurrier's stature is your own shadow. Not going to the 2001 national championship game, I think, really ate at him because he knew it was one of his best teams, maybe the best. Whether Dockett prevented it or not, no one will ever know, but he sure got in the way.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
So are we saying that Earnest Graham's injury for the 2001 UT game is a legit excuse for why we lost? Just trying to gauge when the injury excuse is valid, especially if it's one player as opposed to two dozen.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n37275 said:
So are we saying that Earnest Graham's injury for the 2001 UT game is a legit excuse for why we lost? Just trying to gauge when the injury excuse is valid, especially if it's one player as opposed to two dozen.

Like the two teams were anything similar. That's lame even by your standards.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
WobbleGator said:
Gator Fever;n14741 said:
True about LSU but they weren't like FSU was those years for the most part and Georgia was decent some of those Spurrier years.
Hell, the SEC as a whole was weaker when SOS was our coach than when Meyer was.
But we played in the SEC and hadn't won sh*t in 70 plus years (no offense to '84, '85). Then Spurrier ran off what 6-7 SEC championships. My gawd there was nothing like the Spurrier years at Florida and will never be anything like that to come unfortunately (hope I'm wrong).

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch said:
Your such a dick lol

88drgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
A really good testament to the overall measure of the man but this thread has revealed the real douches discussing trivia. That's really sad.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This documentary, so-said best info on the real Spurrier, showed through his wife that Spurrier had the itch to prove himself at the highest level : prove his type of passing game would win in the NFL …. plus 5 million for 5 years guaranteed. The Believer believed in it all.

When he left NFL you know he wated back into the SEC. Then UF had n opening. He whole heartedly "believed" he would be welcomed back to UF. The "run-around" must have set him off. During this, his very close family friend, Lou Holtz worked on Steve to take up the "challenge" of HC of South Carolina ( Holtz wanted a good-news replacement so USCe fans/friends would not be angry at Holtz's leaving ) . These are the most believable scenarios to fit "The Believer".

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
'78 said:
Yeah, one team was stellar and only missing one player, the other was mediocre and missing two dozen. Doesn't really compute, does it?

A team that good with a coach that good, at home with a SECCG/NCG berth on the line? One player shouldn't matter, right? If we aren't going to use the injury excuse for two dozen players, what sense does it make to use it for one player when you have the guy who should have won the Heisman behind center? SOS isn't above criticism, sorry to burst your bubble.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

^^^ THIS is an accurate account of what drove him away. [/quote]So you're calling his wife a liar? Cause she more or less said in the documentary that fans having unreasonable expectations was the reason they left. It might not have been the only reason, but it was a big enough reason for it to be the only one she mentioned on camera.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.