ESPN Going Broke

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Revenue is down due to chord cutting, but ESPN is by no means going broke. Moreover, their financials were released as a regulatory requirement tied to being put up for sale as a standalone unit apart from Disney. They'll likely get bought by a large suitor be it Apple, Verizon, Google or Amazon.

ESPN is well ingrained in the consumer conscious. I don't think it's going anywhere. Could be wrong. We'll see.
What's an announcer make? It's worth $1 million, maybe. If they are paying $3+, then they need to stop treating news people like NFL first rounders.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Revenue is down due to chord cutting, but ESPN is by no means going broke. Moreover, their financials were released as a regulatory requirement tied to being put up for sale as a standalone unit apart from Disney. They'll likely get bought by a large suitor be it Apple, Verizon, Google or Amazon.

ESPN is well ingrained in the consumer conscious. I don't think it's going anywhere. Could be wrong. We'll see.
Sounds like PIF but with networks instead of shots.

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
It's not just cord cutting and going woke...it's having to fill every hour with inflated salary talking heads covering the same 5 topics...does anyone really watch to see Orlovsky draw up plays on the projector screen on NFL Live? No...it's overkill

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
F v c k them. They hate me. They hate my family. They hate my friends. They feel the need to push their evil leftist agenda during EVERY segment. During every game. F v c k them. I look forward to pissing on their grave.

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
F v c k them. They hate me. They hate my family. They hate my friends. They feel the need to push their evil leftist agenda during EVERY segment. During every game. F v c k them. I look forward to pissing on their grave.

THIS is the attitude conservatives need to adopt

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
The trickle down will be disastrous for college football. How do you pay these insane contracts with no TV money coming in?
Good. I hope the money does dry up for college sports. It's ruining the game.

I dont watch pro sports. I also avoid ESPN.

Last edited:

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I've thought for a long time that the consumer would get tired of paying for insane contracts. I would have thought it would start to happen 10 years ago. I was wrong. Maybe it's started now. I hope so. Money is ruining the game/games. Some of us have lost interest, and that means that some of us will stop paying. It'll be interesting to see how the next round of jacked up prices go.

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
I never watch them. If I do it's mindlessly watching the scores at the bottom of the screen with it muted

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You talking bout Georgia or ESPN? :lol:

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

And I thought I was the only one that felt this way.
These are some of the very worst people in our country and I wouldn’t mind seeing the entire freak show collapse in the future.

Gator-Don

The Master of Sparks and Fire
Lifetime Member
Jun 1, 2016
Disney is desperate to sell ESPN, so desperate they released ESPN’s financials for the first time ever. Profit is plunging & they can’t afford to re-up existing NBA & college football playoff packages & continue to make a profit in years ahead. Yikes:

It’s amazing to me how many sports journalists, and business media, only have the ability to cover what exists now and can’t see what’s coming. Why did ESPN suddenly, after 20+ years, open up their books and share all their financials? Because they want the story to be what’s now and not what’s coming. Disney is trying to cash out ESPN now while they still can, hoping to find a dope buyer. Subscribers are collapsing and content cost is increasing. Just look at what the NBA and the CFB playoff will demand. Even at existing dollars, ESPN can’t afford to retain these packages and be profitable. ESPN is a middle man. The only value it has is carrying sports they rent. So what happens when they can’t bid the most any longer? The business is gone. There are many renters who can pay more. I don’t blame them for trying to sell. But they should have sold five years ago. I’m not sure there are any buyers left.

Streaming isn’t the answer. ESPN+ is losing money in a big way. And when ESPN goes direct to consumer they will destroy the existing bundle, which is more profitable for them. ESPN+ offers no real distribution value over other streaming companies. Every league is going to be desperate to maximize revenue without cable rights payments increasing. If ESPN can’t bid the most, and they can’t, what value does it have in the years ahead? Unless Apple or Amazon is desperate for the rights ESPN has now and wants to buy them, ESPN is finished. Again, this doesn’t require genius analysis, it’s just basic math coupled with a basic understanding of existing sports business. I’ve been writing about this for years, it still stuns me that no one else sees it.

By sharing their numbers publicly ESPN also told every negotiating partner and bidding opponent in sports exactly how much money they have to spend. It’s an incredibly desperate move. So now the streaming companies — and other sports competitors — know exactly what Disney/ESPN can spend and they can bleed them out and/or know exactly what they can bid that ESPN can’t afford to match. I just can’t believe how many in sports don’t see the desperation here.
@ClayTravis

And I thought I was the only one that felt this way.
These are some of the very worst people in our country and I wouldn’t mind seeing the entire freak show collapse in the future.
I actually liked the opening song for College Game Day, but this season it appears there has been a shake up with the musicians and the song sounds like s..t . The only one I recognize is the blonde singer (whos original hair was black. The new dude she sings with is awful.

Screw ESPN and Rascal Flats.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I’m not paying for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator