ESPN's pre-spring positional rankings show uphill battle for UF

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Muschamp left a stink on the program. That's just the way it is. The only way it gets washed off is by winning football games. I really don't think we are that far off. I think, with a decent offense, we go 9-2 last year and at least 8-3. We certainly win the LSU and USCe games. The press is underrating us and I like it.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Gator Fever;n184453 said:
I think we have more talent than the rankings reflect at RB and WR / TE. We just need another receiver to emerge in addition to Robinson and have McGee stay healthy. At RB I think we will be alright if the O line can block some.

Devil's Advocate for a moment, but for the RB we have Taylor as the only returner with any experience, and he was deep enough on the roster to only get 560 yds on the season? Behind him you have a one-game-wonder in Lane, and a freshman with no SEC experience (much less college level experience). Not a lot to hang your hat on, especially given the OL they will have to play behind. Do we really want to count Powell in the stable of RBs? It doesn't help the case if you're looking at his rushing success last season.

I'd also have to go with the Devil on the WR/TE count since we have no experience returning this year at TE other than McGee who has no SEC experience and is coming off a season ending injury. Think about how it looks from outside Gator Nation, you had converted DE's playing TE over your roster of TEs. Not promising. As for WR, you have Robinson with 54 receptions for 821 yds and a grand total of 7 TDs on the season. You're GO-TO guy with 7 TDs. Nobody else with over 525 yds (lowest I could find on the NCAA Stats site) or more than 3.3 rec/game average. We may have some talent on the roster, but unless you've seen it at practice (which very few have, it if is there), then those rankings are pretty accurate and we do have a big hill to climb. Hang the WR/TE poor stats on QB that can't throw and an OL that can't give him time to throw....but we do not have a lot returning for us that non-Gator's have seen to have confidence in.

The plus side of that is perhaps Lane/Scarlett are diamonds in the rough ready to burst onto the scene under a proper offensive coaching system. Similarly, maybe the OL talent we're bringing in can be healthy and play well enough to give a developed QB time to throw, and our coach can play call offensively to help these TE/WRs shine. There is tremendous chance for a surprise upside on all these areas, but to date we haven't had it show up on the field where those making these rankings can see it and say 'yeah, there is some talent there'. In fact, for us pumpers on forums, we're all about the upside but the reality is it is just hopes at this point until JMac has time to work with them and we get those kids out there hitting pads against a team from another town.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Offensive linemen rarely show up as freshmen and make an impact, especially in the SEC. Because we have such a young and inexperienced O-line it might be hard for any offensive position to have a breakout year. I have hope, but I think it will take Mac at least until 2016 to have an efficient offense because we won't have the big uglies in the trench ready this year.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
CaribGator;n185608 said:
Offensive linemen rarely show up as freshmen and make an impact, especially in the SEC. Because we have such a young and inexperienced O-line it might be hard for any offensive position to have a breakout year. I have hope, but I think it will take Mac at least until 2016 to have an efficient offense because we won't have the big uglies in the trench ready this year.

The main reason o-linemen don't contribute early is due to weight, but out of our current class only Ivey and Jordan will need to redshirt barring a massive weight gain. The others are either at playing weight or just need to gain small amount which shouldn't be hard by the start of the season.

Leroy Jenkins

Founding Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Time to give up, I guess? Ever think competent coaching may fix some of these position suckages right away?

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Got 'em right where we want 'em.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorious;n185642 said:
Will we rank around 115, 107, or 110-ish on Offense again this year?
My guess would be, if we can get the Oline to play well we could be in the 40's, if the Oline struggles , probably in the 60's. Either way, with our D, we should be in every game and win the East.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
maheo30;n185620 said:
The main reason o-linemen don't contribute early is due to weight,.
That's not even close to being true. Many do need to gain weight and even more need to turn flab into muscle, but OL is one of the most complicated and cerebral positions to play on the field.

I have news for you, not only will playing TRUE freshmen be an inevitable disaster but the redshirt freshmen aren't ready to play more than intermittent minutes either. It generally takes three years for an OL to be ready for SEC play and there's no reason to think the guys on our bench who weren't deemed good enough to play in front of Mary T. Moore are some sort of rare exceptions to the rule.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorious;n185642 said:
Will we rank around 115, 107, or 110-ish on Offense again this year?

Well, the bad news is that every team Nusschamp has OC'ed has dropped 20-40 points in their total offense rankings. The good news is there is only 120 IA teams so there is a pretty good chance he won't repeat this time.

My guess will be 110 or so.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n185740 said:
Well, the bad news is that every team dougie freshmeier has OC'ed has dropped 20-40 points in their total offense rankings. The good news is there is only 120 IA teams so there is a pretty good chance he won't repeat this time.

My guess will be 110 or so.

FIFY

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.