Etienne Returning

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
No such thing as minimizing injury risk in a brutal sport like football. You're always one play away from potentially ending your career.

And coming back to school to win a championship you aren't assured of is lunacy. He could be in the NFL making life changing money. And you point out the weak schedule as if you're less likely to get injured against sorry teams. Well football doesn't work that way. You have the same injury risk against any opponent. So I'm not really sure of your point in pointing that out.

And very few kids would actually benefit from coming back to school. That's a self serving proclamation that universities and coaches like to push. As if he wouldn't be developed on an NFL roster. As if college is the only place that develops players.

You definitely sound like a fan in your response. I'm not saying it's a negative. You just have no perspective.

Edit: I had to add this. But consider when Tebow came back to school for his senior season. As fans we were all ecstatic. But when you actually examine the decision it was a very poor one. What did it get him? Absolutely nothing! He didn't win a title. He didn't improve as a player. He wasn't better prepared for the pro game. None of that. It was a wasted year of football for him. Sure he got to experience the college life but what's the actual value of that?

The same logic applies in the NFL: one preseason hit or ACL tear and you could never play again. Sure, there will be some guaranteed money, but teams always find a way to negotiate that down with players getting the short end of the stick.

Going by the logic that a RB only has so many "hits" in his career, then it's just a measured risk to stay one more season with a reduced college workload (ie: fewer hits) vs going to the NFL and being expected to carry the full load on a longer season than college. If Etienne falls to the late 2nd round or mid 3rd round (which is a strong possibility with as strong as this draft class is), then he'd be on a smaller contract vs waiting when timing is better.

Never played football beyond hs, but played other sports in college so yes, I see the perspective to cash in when you can (especially if one has a family situation to be mindful of). But that said, you're also failing to acknowledge that the list of guys who left early, fell to a lower draft ranking, and washed out of the "Not For Long" league is far longer than the list of guys who went early and stayed through their 2nd and 3rd contracts. Especially at the skill positions and that's doubly so for RBs who have a short shelf life to begin with.

Oscar the G

Nov 7, 2018
Maybe the kid just isnt motivated by money. I think the obvious answer is to get to the draft as soon as possible, but its refreshing to see a guy come back. The nfl is definitely life changing money, but that isnt always a positive.

beteez

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Next years class is loaded also Najee Harris, Chiba Howard & Etiennne coming back, Plus if Zeus has a typical UGA back year or Cook they will both be eligible.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
RB only have so much tread on the tire and the NFL has realized they are mostly a dime a dozen. Should have gone pro.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If his end goal is the big NFL payday it's a bad decision. The real money is in the second contract with the rookie payscale in place. As a 2nd round pick the team doesn't have the 5th year option and after the 4th year he is an UFA which could lead to his big payday if he plays well. All that changes if you take a nasty injury as an college player.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Edit: I had to add this. But consider when Tebow came back to school for his senior season. As fans we were all ecstatic. But when you actually examine the decision it was a very poor one. What did it get him? Absolutely nothing! He didn't win a title. He didn't improve as a player. He wasn't better prepared for the pro game. None of that. It was a wasted year of football for him. Sure he got to experience the college life but what's the actual value of that?

Pretty easy, he came back for the unlimited buffet of Gainesville snizz

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, I don't understand why you're so opposed to this verse.

"What will it profit a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?"

This speaks to a man giving up on eternity because of the spoils that this life on Earth offers.

Maybe he sees the analogy of the NFL being the "desire" that he's willing to pass up for more quality time in college.

Dabo is very Christian. He uses that faith on his team. Ettienne, for all we know, is very Christian. The NFL is not .

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Dabo freely expresses his Christian beliefs = the players hear it in practices, seeps through in film room, etc. Dabo might consider himself a fisher of men.??
Then I would just say he is Christian. Living the faith. I don’t believe in levels of Christianity.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Then I would just say he is Christian. Living the faith. I don’t believe in levels of Christianity.

I get your point, but what if you having that belief is testament that you are a better Christian than I am. There's been many missed opportunities not expressed where I regret not standing up for my faith. That regret comes from me thinking I wasn't Christian enough. Wasn't Peter being less Christian when he denied Christ? I've known Christians whose inner spirit was too shy to let their light shine forth. Even personal contact with Jesus did not result in thousands following him as disciples. This seems one of those Christianity concepts that Christians grapple with. Aii in all, even though I held the precepts of Christ, I was a better Christian before I got to college. I saw Billy Graham as being a far better Christian than me.

I think I respectfully recognize your true, correct feelings here = Christ himself set the standard and told us: accept Christ as your Savior and that is the final and level playing field. Good talk, Seebee. Thanks.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I get your point, but what if you having that belief is testament that you are a better Christian than I am. There's been many missed opportunities not expressed where I regret not standing up for my faith. That regret comes from me thinking I wasn't Christian enough. Wasn't Peter being less Christian when he denied Christ? I've known Christians whose inner spirit was too shy to let their light shine forth. Even personal contact with Jesus did not result in thousands following him as disciples. This seems one of those Christianity concepts that Christians grapple with. Aii in all, even though I held the precepts of Christ, I was a better Christian before I got to college. I saw Billy Graham as being a far better Christian than me.

I think I respectfully recognize your true, correct feelings here = Christ himself set the standard and told us: accept Christ as your Savior and that is the final and level playing field. Good talk, Seebee. Thanks.
I am by no means a good example of a Christian. I am trying to be but much like us all - I have a lot to atone for. Regarding your Peter question... I would say he was being human, which is to be flawed. There has only been one without flaws and He sets the example for all of us flawed people. Our goal is to strive for His example. All sins - regardless - are bad in the eyes of the Lord. And I, nor anyone else, is equipped to judge the severity of it. We just ask for forgiveness and try again. Sorry to sound preachy. I promise I am not some shining example. His forgiveness is a comfort for all of us as we make mistakes in pursuit of his example.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Well then, I can certainly bond with an unshiney example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator