Expectations for next year?

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Why do people think that UT will beat us? Because they won 5 games in a row against KY, Vandy, USCe, Mizzou and North TX to end the season?

Combined record of 18-42

The games they won, they won fairly soundly. But then there is:

A loss to OU they should have won.
A loss to us they should have won.
A close loss to ARK (I dunno).
A close loss at AL, AT Alabama.

Those are their four losses on the year. The first two they arguably should not have lost, except for inept coaching. Lucky for us they appear to be retaining that inept coaching, so there is that inherent 'gotta lose this game somehow' up in their skybox and on the sidelines.

That said, we play at Neyland next year. Dobbs will be a Sr and Hurd will be a Jr, and the rest of that 'youth' should have matured by then for them. It will be the fourth game of the season, and we don't know if we have a QB yet nor have we sorted out depth for the already weak OL and LB corps. Right now, January 4, I'm thinking we are more likely to lose than to win that game. Ask me again after NSD, or after Spring practice, I may have more confidence. With each of the first 3 games, I may get more confidence. But I'm answering the question with the best information I have today. Today I'm looking at the end of this past season trying not to lose my lunch when thinking of next year.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The difference is Muschamp failed to realize you need linemen to actually run the ball....So if Mac tries to run without linemen and we go 4-8, then can we back the truck up to Bert's house?

Muschump 2014 - 188 yards rushing a game / 4.4 yards a carry

Mac 2015 - 128 yards rushing a game / 3.5 yards a carry

Mac did at least have 8 less rushing attempts a game than 2014 when he saw the young linemen weren't up to the task yet.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
FIFY.

====================

2016 Florida Gators Football Schedule
Sept. 3 Mass -win
Sept. 10 Kentucky -win
Sept. 17 North Texas -win
Sept. 24 at Tennessee -loss
Oct. 1 at Vanderbilt -win
Oct. 8 LSU -loss
Oct. 15 Missouri -win

Oct. 29 Georgia (Jacksonville) -win
Nov. 5 at Arkansas - loss
Nov. 12 South Carolina -beat their a$$ into the ground
Nov. 19 Presbyterian -win
Nov. 26 at Florida State -beat their a$$ into the ground
(SECCG - loss to AL again)
Bowl Game

We go regular season 8-4 or 9-3 (not sure we're ready to beat F$U, nor how good they will be next year). I'm not counting the SECCG, because if we lose to TN and LSU and ARK, I'm not sure we win the East. If we do, we still aren't ready to take on the West winner which I believe will be AL. Bowl game...I'm expecting a win based on lessons learned this year.

Arkansas will lose all of their good players on offense, and they don't really have much to brag about on defense. I expect they'll take a step back. As long as we show up after beating UGA, then that should be a win. UT should also be a win simply because Butch Jones still hasn't proven he's a good coach, and Dobbs really isn't that good of a passer. The defense will be ready for him to run this year. LSU and FSU look to be the two toughest games as of right now, but even then both of those games are winnable.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Don't forget, fsu has nobody at the qb position. It'll either be more of that McGuire tard or a kid who was a true fresh this year, they put him in during the bowl game for a few plays and he was embarrassing. They will continue to struggle on offense.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'd settle for him just hitting open receivers and knowing what down it is.
As sarcastic as I know your post was intended, it's loaded with truth. We don't need a Heisman talent at QB in order to win; we just need a guy who can consistently get the ball to his playmakers and avoid turning it over. It's not rocket science.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We just got a real QB.

He doesn't need to be Dan Marino, just a good manager of the game. We are going to have a solid line, a stable of back and tight ends and receivers to throw to.

Oh, and a backup QB, just in case.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Muschump 2014 - 188 yards rushing a game / 4.4 yards a carry

Mac 2015 - 128 yards rushing a game / 3.5 yards a carry

Mac did at least have 8 less rushing attempts a game than 2014 when he saw the young linemen weren't up to the task yet.

Looks to me like if we can get back to a 200 YPG rushing average and pass the ball at least as well as we did the first half of 2015 (200-250 YPG) we should win just as many if not more games next year than we did in 2015. Nobody on the schedule looks to be dominant and LSU and FSU will still have issues.... Again, it all starts up front. Without major improvement on the line none of the above is possible. We'll also have to be able to run late in games to help a rebuilding defense from getting gassed. If those guys get left out there I fear our biggest weaknesses(LB and Safety) will get worked.....

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Looks to me like if we can get back to a 200 YPG rushing average and pass the ball at least as well as we did the first half of 2015 (200-250 YPG) we should win just as many if not more games next year than we did in 2015. Nobody on the schedule looks to be dominant and LSU and FSU will still have issues.... Again, it all starts up front. Without major improvement on the line none of the above is possible. We'll also have to be able to run late in games to help a rebuilding defense from getting gassed. If those guys get left out there I fear our biggest weaknesses(LB and Safety) will get worked.....

That... was... reasonable. Are you feeling okay 'crete?

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Lol I felt the same when I read it threat, but just figured I'd leave well enough alone :lol2:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If we lose Davis, our safeties and Grayson Lambert 2.0 is our starting qb, then I expect a pretty rough season.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Stop t, you're scaring the children.

:scared:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm going with 8-5. I was pretty unimpressed with COY and the rest of the team the last 6 games. If that's any indication, it's going to be a rough year.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The games they won, they won fairly soundly. But then there is:

A loss to OU they should have won.
A loss to us they should have won.
A close loss to ARK (I dunno).
A close loss at AL, AT Alabama.

This tells me that UT, nor Butch Jones, knows how to win a close game.

If you look at the games they almost won, also look at the games they almost lost. They should have lost to UGA. Fast forward to the 24 minute mark on this video.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm going with 8-5. I was pretty unimpressed with COY and the rest of the team the last 6 games. If that's any indication, it's going to be a rough year.

Not coincidentally, Harris ran the show those six games. Not to over emphasize the importance of one player, but I think if you insert a quarterback who can process the field better and deliver the ball accurately, the overall offensive result during those six games would have been significantly different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator