Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Because........?
he is not a cornerback.

you guys keep getting stuck on this you know vision of a hybrid linebacker safety playing Star and that's not at all what Chokin Dwag plays.

he plays a third cornerback, period. at best he's probably looking at a hybrid safety / quarterback, a cornerback he is a little thicker and a little better versus the run.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
he is not a cornerback.

you guys keep getting stuck on this you know vision of a hybrid linebacker safety playing Star and that's not at all what Chokin Dwag plays.

he plays a third cornerback, period. at best he's probably looking at a hybrid safety / quarterback, a cornerback he is a little thicker and a little better versus the run.

You say that. But he’s played Burney at Star. And that guy has no hips at all.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You say that. But he’s played Burney at Star. And that guy has no hips at all.
No, he practiced at star as a fresh. Then they moved him to LB.

Id LOVE to see Burney at star. We would be way better vs run. Seems like his natural postion, but not in this man heavy defense unfortunately.

Last edited:

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
No, he practiced at star as a fresh. Then they moved him to LB.

Id LOVE to see Burney at star. We would be way better vs run. Seems like his natural postion, but not in this man heavy defense unfortunately.
Didn't Burney play some at Star during the end of last season? Including the bowl game?

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
I don't see Diwan at star; I see him more as a SS/ Will in this scheme, probably a true strong safety in a true 4-3 scheme with real DLs that weigh more that 250.
But of course we don't play that, although we might get some big butts that could change some things.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Didn't Burney play some at Star during the end of last season? Including the bowl game?
Not that I recall.

it would be nice to see them having a heavier guy at that position at least on first and second down. obviously he's going to struggle in man but most SEC teams can't pass for shtt anyway

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't see Diwan at star; .
Im not sure what to think.

basically Burnie, Diwun all those types have to play inside linebacker, because we don't really play an outside linebacker or strong safety. and obviously they cannot play the nickel corner.

It's really a huge transition to move inside. At linebacker your first step is usually forward or sideways. reads are entirely different, just everything is different.

I keep hearing you guys say that you know this or that former strong safety will put on 10 lb of move to linebacker but that is not an easy transition especially for a team that does not play outside linebackers.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't see Diwan at star; I see him more as a SS
there is no strong safety in the scheme at least so far.

the safeties are basically interchangeable FS/corner hybrids who must cover the slot in man. if the formation flips then the other safety takes that position. either guy can be up in man o or a slot receiver or a trips or playing 1 high alone.

there's really no room for a strong safety type kid in that scheme.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
Im not sure what to think.

basically Burnie, Diwun all those types have to play inside linebacker, because we don't really play an outside linebacker or strong safety. and obviously they cannot play the nickel corner.

It's really a huge transition to move inside. At linebacker your first step is usually forward or sideways. reads are entirely different, just everything is different.

I keep hearing you guys say that you know this or that former strong safety will put on 10 lb of move to linebacker but that is not an easy transition especially for a team that does not play outside linebackers.
It all starts at DL, and we just haven't recruited enough talent and depth at that position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator