Fall Camp: Start Date Aug 17th

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
there is no strong safety in the scheme at least so far.

the safeties are basically interchangeable FS/corner hybrids who must cover the slot in man. if the formation flips then the other safety takes that position. either guy can be up in man o or a slot receiver or a trips or playing 1 high alone.

there's really no room for a strong safety type kid in that scheme.
I honestly think that this is due to a lack of talent rather than scheme; however that doesn't explain the lack of recruiting.
You just can't simply change the scheme to make up for a lack of talent. We have guys playing out of position and no "scheming" can really fix it.
I feel bad bc we are wasting talent due to the inefficiency of our DL.
Just my opinion.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
The whole scheme is goofy as hell.
It's "goofy" but it could work with proper recruiting and depth.
Sometimes coaches cannot see beyond their own weakness, and the arrogance always seeks to find an answer beyond the truth.
The "truth" is that there is no substitute for a good defensive line, and a good DL must have depth. That starts with recruiting.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Sometimes coaches cannot see beyond their own weakness, and the arrogance always seeks to find an answer beyond the truth.
The "truth" is that there is no substitute for a good defensive line, and a good DL must have depth. That starts with recruiting.
yeah great defensive line covers a lot of flaws but he's had some nice defensive line talent standing on the sidelines for years.

Sure it's possible to find that 220lb guy who can run like the wind and cover well enough to play man vs a TE or back and can also plug the middle vs the run. but they are few and far between.

we sort of play a third-and-long defense every play but yet aren't any good at 3rd and long.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
sure talent fixes everything. tebow and harvin could have run the wishbone, or the air raid. great players can do that.

really anything works if you have better talent then the other team but we're never going to get to that level. we're never going to be able to out talent most of the top teams in the SEC. we sure as hell arent doing it with the 3 Star U vs Alabama.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
sure talent fixes everything. tebow and harvin could have run the wishbone, or the air raid. great players can do that.

really anything works if you have better talent then the other team but we're never going to get to that level. we're never going to be able to out talent most of the top teams in the SEC. we sure as hell arent doing it with the 3 Star U vs Alabama.
Well let's hope that changes soon.
Stranger things have happened lol.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015

Do you mean CDM will never out talent Bama, or do you mean UF never will?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Do you mean CDM will never out talent Bama, or do you mean UF never will?
unfortunately both at the moment.

when we change coaches soon to hire the next muschump mcelstain mullinz, we will likely still be in the same boat with another third-tier coach, severe facility deficits, and recruit who don't even remember the last time UF was a champion

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That might be 23 mph. Who is that?
Musckepug is good at somethings but choosing relevant threads isnt one of them.

But Im surprised he didnt bump on of the old Arksas Matt Jones thread if that happened to be the first one he saw when he searched.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Stewart playing star is interesting. It implies the staff likes the young guys at safety (Mordecai and Torrance).
I would prefer Chester there, but having 5 veterans in the lineup is usually a good move. I think Travez
would be also be very good at the star/Nickel. Arnold is a guy who could excel there if we sign him. You want
someone who has fortitude (physical and likes contact) but also can cover a slot receiver. Dean had the first part down,
but can't cover anybody. Better cover guys are on the way. The bad news is we are really predictable on defense,
and last season it was simple to get guys open because we had Dean on the field . Grantham doesn't always
play to his guys strength,which can be frustrating to watch. Personally I like having the DC being the secondary
coach. Because it limits coverage busts and gifts for an easy 6.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Dexter may have the most potential of any lineman we have ever signed. An absolute athletic freak. Only comparable athletes we’ve signed at UF that pop in my head are Dunlap and Kearse.

Dunlap is a very good comparison. I watched Dexter live several times last fall. Yes, he was roughly a head taller than everyone else. Yes, he’s crazy fast for his size. But his athleticism is off the charts.

I was amazed at how Dunlap could crash toward the middle then reverse direction in time to seal the edge. Clowney does that. Dexter does that. Or, like Kearse, the ability to corral a jitterbug QB in the open field.

And his reputation in this small town is A+. Great kid with a big heart and one of those hard, sad stories with the death of his dad. I’ll be rooting hard for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator