Fall Camp starts today!

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Other than experience I don't see anything that Harris does better than Grier. He is slightly quicker, but Grier is very mobile as well. Better arm, taller, and more suited to what Mac wants to run. Harris will play this year I'm sure, but I think Grier is the starter.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
ATXGator;n256426 said:
No No NO.... these guys were all OK ... remember... Muschamp said so....

"He kinda tweaked it. Doesn't look too serious. We expect him to be a full go by Wednesday..."

fbc.jpg

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
8802Gator;n256442 said:
Other than experience I don't see anything that Harris does better than Grier. He is slightly quicker, but Grier is very mobile as well. Better arm, taller, and more suited to what Mac wants to run. Harris will play this year I'm sure, but I think Grier is the starter.

One practice report said the only success in the red zone against the starters was when Harris used his mobility to buy a lot of extra time. Grier isn't slow but I am not sure how good he will be if our O line breaks down a lot. I also saw a passing drill in the red zone where Grier looked pretty bad (I know its just one practice but it surprised me they let them show that on a video with it being so limited). It didn't include Harris I think or maybe he was out that day.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah. I don't doubt it. Grier's consistency is not what it needs to be. In the long run, from what I have read, Grier's physical tools will win out. Unless Harris plays great or Grier hasn't progressed any since last year.

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n256420 said:
Really? How many ACLs have we lost in the last few camps while the guys were wearing shorts?
I believe he was referring to today being check in day for fall camp. Actual practices start tomorrow.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
8802Gator;n256454 said:
Yeah. I don't doubt it. Grier's consistency is not what it needs to be. In the long run, from what I have read, Grier's physical tools will win out. Unless Harris plays great or Grier hasn't progressed any since last year.
The guy that started the last couple of years had the physical tools too. Until they face SEC defenses, blitzes and red zone situations we won't know if they have something more important, the mental fortitude to deal with game at this level.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
It's going to be and always has been Grier's job. I am not buying for a second that this is a competition.

I think Grier is going to be legit, but then again i thought Driskel had a chance to be special.

Time will tell, but boy am i PUMPED!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'd guess you are right. However, there is a noticeable absence of chatter from the usual stool pidgeons about Grier "looking great" and being "clearly the best option". I expected Berlin to beat Grossman. You never know until you see them on the field.

People forget how good Treon looked as a TRUE freshman who wasn't even early entrant before he got banged up.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n256641 said:
I'd guess you are right. However, there is a noticeable absence of chatter from the usual stool pidgeons about Grier "looking great" and being "clearly the best option". I expected Berlin to beat Grossman. You never know until you see them on the field.

People forget how good Treon looked as a TRUE freshman who wasn't even early entrant before he got banged up.

Good point. I may be underestimating Treon since I don't know how truly hurt he was. I just remember being at the SC game wondering how he could be so off.

I guess it makes sense that he hurt his shoulder considering Muschamp had him running draws up the middle 15 times a game lol. You can't make that stuff up.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
His shoulder was pretty banged up. Not Murphy banged up, but he wasn't right. And his hand also. At one point in November, he could barely squeeze the ball.

He shouldn't have been playing for multiple reasons but when your only other option is Picksiskel....

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
After watching Mac's presser today, I came away with a gut feeling it's more Treon. I really don't know. Guess we'll see.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n256648 said:
His shoulder was pretty banged up. Not Murphy banged up, but he wasn't right. And his hand also.

He shouldn't have been playing for multiple reasons but when your only other option is Picksiskel....

I had forgotten, but now that you mention this, I remember observing his motions and his hand contact with the ball and noticing he was still injured but like with Murphy, they weren't talking about it..

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
aka;n256660 said:
After watching Mac's presser today, I came away with a gut feeling it's more Treon. I really don't know. Guess we'll see.

I get the same vibe. But, I trust Mac to make the correct call, unlike the chimp.

Big school Dade County ball is sorta better prep than Davidson Day School. It is hard to get a read on Grier's football moxie while he's doing stupid ass back flips and such.

We'll know soon enough.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68;n256714 said:
I get the same vibe. But, I trust Mac to make the correct call, unlike the chimp.

Big school Dade County ball is sorta better prep than Davidson Day School. It is hard to get a read on Grier's football moxie while he's doing stupid ass back flips and such.

We'll know soon enough.

My guess is Grier will get to start early in the season but Mac unlike Muschamp won't hesitate to make a change if things aren't working out that good once we get into early SEC play.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Reports from the open period of practice say that other than an early pick to Neal, Will Grier looked pretty sharp in practice today. He also worked with the ones. Harris had a rough accuracy day and worked mainly with the twos. Tabor and Hargreaves were very good in coverage. Worton looked good and made some tough catches as well.

Himey

Founding Member
Super Important Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Where do you go to find some of these reports?

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Himey;257001 said:
Where do you go to find some of these reports?
Any Florida beat writer that attends usually does a play by play on twitter. If you are a member of 247 they do a play by play and a post practice wrap up.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Law98gator;n256641 said:

and recall what level of development and coaching he was getting, on top of the play calling (hey, let's run it AGAIN).

TH has shown me willingness to play when hurt, do what is asked, run the play called. All while getting little, if any, coaching on how to play. I've seen nothing from WG, and am only hearing about how Spring (now Fall) practices are going. Until WG can show me what he can do in a game, I'll stand by TH as my QB.

Also looking forward to WRs who have been coached by someone who knows their position......oh, wait. Nevermind.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Remember, freshman Treon Harris was an (overloaded) true freshman thrown into a Muschamp/Roper football
operating offense, while Grier got the full "bore" Muschamp fearful offense because Grier was only in learning mode,
full time course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator