Favorite FSU Moment

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, a nippy, wet, WTF peach bowl game... crazy.

But despite that and the NCAA debacle, our Gator 'godfather' dug the grave for the 'wait till next year' monkey. The corner was turned.
charley-pelljpg-a323a529f15ea66b.jpg
Damn, look at that pic. Before the north endzone enclosure. Forever ago and yet not that far back.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
This is tough...

1985 - a buddy was running a sideline camera for channel 5 in West Palm Beach and invited me to be his sound guy - although he wasn’t actually recording sound. I helped him carry his equipment, but really it just meant a sideline pass. I got to high five Alonzo Johnson after the game.

1991 - What I recall as the loudest game I’ve ever experienced. Start to finish, every snap F$U took was with a full-throated Swamp cascading noise, and Darren Mickell on his back. The moment would be Will White(?) cutting down Matt “The Crier” Frier in the end zone on a tipped pass, securing the win.

1997 Sugar Bowl (1996 NC Game) - Greatest night in Gator history. Hard to pick a moment. Keith Jackson saying, “Mickey Andrews, whose defense is beleaguered right now...” Ike’s stop on a dime on his way to a TD. Danny’s TD run. Terry Jackson’s high stepping TD. But very early on - F$U’s first series? - Mike Peterson met the huge “Pooh Bear” Williams 1:1 in the hole on 4th down, stoned him and drove him back. That’s when I knew we’d win.

My grandfather (UF ‘31) lived to see that game after a lifetime of waiting for UF to win. I don’t know what his favorite moment would have been, but his is mine. When SOS invited all Gators to chant “We’re number one” at the NC, I was in tears thinking of him. Maybe that’s actually it for me.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gators christen Ron Zook Field by carrying their coach off it in his final game. I'm pretty sure Jason Byrd is in the scrum helping to lift the Zooker.

That was a good one. I have to say
Zook>Chump>Butters.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This is not a fond memory, it's simply for grins. Although for three quarters it was one of the most entertaining FSU-Florida matchups I've seen.

The ragtag oh-10-1ers versus the #5 Clowns behind the two-headed quarterback in Wally Woodham and Jimmy Jordan. Ron Simmons was considered the best down lineman in college football. No one gave us a chance. We played 'em even.

Brantley on the sideline with the concussion that sidelined him for the year in the season opener. Dr. O leading the attack. Super quick dropbacks. Tim Golden with a huge day on defense.

Just look at some of the camera pans of the old stadium. No enclosures.

Jim Lampley looking like he's 15 years old.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The younger Bowden was fearless with the schedule. It's how he became known. FSU had a killer independent schedule around this time frame, willingly venturing into places like Pitt (they were good back then), Baton Rouge and Lincoln for games. People thought he was crazy. All he did was win, and FSU rose and rose in the rankings.

Then he had a chance to cement his legacy when the SEC expanded in the early '90s. FSU was invited. We all thought they were coming on board. Bowden thought about it and said no. Too tough for me.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Gators christen Ron Zook Field by carrying their coach off it in his final game. I'm pretty sure Jason Byrd is in the scrum helping to lift the Zooker.

Bobby standing there like a dumbass and chawing his gum is priceless.

Last edited:

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
My favorite single moment was Thad Busby hitting a wide open Dwayne Thomas in '97. There is no misery as sweet to me as Nole misery (although Bulldog misery is a close second) and that night it flowed out in tsunami-esk waves. With the way the ball was moving that night I thought we had left too much time on the clock. The Noles thought it too and you could almost feel the thud of their crumbling dreams amidst the bedlam. It was glorious.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Bobby standing there like a dumbass and chawing his gum is priceless.

It’s faded to some degree because of his retiring and the way we dominated him in the lead up, but there was a time when he was definitely public enemy #1. Looking at him made me mad. Listening to him end every sentence with “ya know?” was nauseating. And hearing him discuss his sons “T-H-o-meh” and T-H-err-eh” was enough to make me want to throw things.

His taking any measure of pride in games like ‘96(part 1), ‘98(deliberate pregame suspension) or the ‘03 Swindle says so much about his character. Guys like Meyer get a bad label because they’re not the “aww shucks” type that instantly turns any negative into some type of disingenuous family compliment or other change of subject. But when Bowden was building fsu and taking them to their heights, he was as dirty and had as little regard for character and integrity as anyone in cfb history.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Bobby Bowden lit up any room he walked into. His mannerisms were completely Southern Gentleman and they came across earnest. He made you feel like you mattered. He was tremendously charismatic.

What he did behind the scenes belied the front.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
This is not a fond memory, it's simply for grins. Although for three quarters it was one of the most entertaining FSU-Florida matchups I've seen.

The ragtag oh-10-1ers versus the #5 Clowns behind the two-headed quarterback in Wally Woodham and Jimmy Jordan. Ron Simmons was considered the best down lineman in college football. No one gave us a chance. We played 'em even.

Brantley on the sideline with the concussion that sidelined him for the year in the season opener. Dr. O leading the attack. Super quick dropbacks. Tim Golden with a huge day on defense.

Just look at some of the camera pans of the old stadium. No enclosures.

Jim Lampley looking like he's 15 years old.

The first UF game I ever attended at the age of 9, on the top row of section 39.

The first time ever wearing that damned Clemson orange..:puke:

Pause the video at the :41 mark and see something you'll never see again in our PC culture.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The first UF game I ever attended at the age of 9, on the top row of section 39.

The first time ever wearing that damned Clemson orange..:puke:

Pause the video at the :41 mark and see something you'll never see again in our PC culture.
Confederate Gator flag.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Whatever you do, don't turn up the volume.

The 2012 win isn't my favorite but does make my Top 5 for a different reason....
In a roundabout way this video is the reason I'm at this forum....I posted it so many times on the old ESPN FSU team forum site after the game ESPN permabanned me. It was all in retaliation for a couple of FSU members that kept coming over to the UF forum and running their mouth's for weeks leading up to the game. They couldn't take it so they reported me to the Administrator....:rolleyes3:
Shortly thereafter ESPN shutdown their sports message boards anyway and I found my way to another national board where the 2 dooshnoozle FSU members had also joined. They were up the owner of the sites ass 24/7 to ban me from the start and the owner was an Oregon c #cksucker who was anti UF anyway. It took all of about 2 weeks of me playing Big Top music videos and images of Bozo The Clown before they pulled the plug. Anyway it was worth the banning to give the FSUX dudes an epic tantrum for hours everyday while it lasted and the ban couldn't have come at a better time though seeing it was the beginning of the 2013 season.

Last edited:

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
Bobby Bowden lit up any room he walked into. His mannerisms were completely Southern Gentleman and they came across earnest. He made you feel like you mattered. He was tremendously charismatic.

What he did behind the scenes belied the front.

Met him very briefly one time; I was in Gator band, standing in the tunnel just after pregame when the Holes were taking the field, screaming my fool head off at them, and at the end of the line here comes the Saint, and the son of a gun came right up to me and said hi, shook my hand and exchanged pleasantries like I was the only reason he was there. I was impressed for about 47 seconds then I went back to screaming.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No idea, sometime in the 40's I guess, first color picture I've seen of us in Orange was in 1961, hilariously enough vs Clemson.
I can't corroborate what you're saying but I can't totally deny it either.

Again, we're talking TOTAL orange, helmet and jersey, correct?

We wore natural leather helmets until the '40s, whereupon (link) we went to a blue jersey and two-tone helmet. It's possible we never did wear all-orange until 1979.

University of Florida Gators Football Uniform and Team History | Heritage Uniforms and Jerseys

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
No I was just referring to the Orange jersey, the Orange Helmet and Jersey was in the early 70's sometime, here's a video of that Uniform combo vs Tennessee in 71.

All orange from head to toe for the 1st time was in 89 vs Kentucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.