Few saw McElwain's other side at Colorado State

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I wish we could see those Mac interviews with Foley. He must have really charmed the socks off of him. What a con man.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I wish we could see those Mac interviews with Foley. He must have really charmed the socks off of him. What a con man.
Probably handled it like he did a presser...just a bunch of incoherent rambling tied together with a bunch of an yets...Fooley was so confused he probably thought if he could be this tricky in an interview imagine his on field coaching

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

Foley had a preconceive notion. He knew this time he had to hire a guy who had head coaching experience. McElwain had that. Foley also knew he wanted a Saban acolyte. McElwain had that. Foley knew this time he had to hire a coach from the offensive side of the ball, but also knew that he, Foley, wanted a defensive minded coach. McElwain fit that.

I suspect McElwain was hired in Foley's mind before he was even interviewed, if they would work out a deal on the buyout. So I suspect the interview was all about how much of his buyout McElwain would "pay," how much CSU would work off in terms of games at UF and how much UF would actually have to pay.

Also Foley had to get his new defensive minded hire to pretend to be offensive minded. So maybe there was a little in the interview of whether or not Foley believed McElwain could sell himself to the fan base.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I would put zero stock in anything Buddy Martin says. There is no bigger shill for UF than Martin. He defended everything Meyer did or did not do with the players, regardless of what they did. He may have been around the prgram a long time, but most of that time has been genuflecting!!!!
Buddy Martin is a veteran journalist and radio talk show host who has won more than 150 awards for his writing and editing in newspapers and magazines. He has written for the Charlotte Sun, St. Petersburg Times, Florida Today, New York Daily News, and Denver Post. He also won an Emmy Award for his w… MORE

Born: Florida
Books: Head Ball Coach: My Life in Football, Doing it Differently--and Winning, MORE
nice resume for a "shill". And if Urban wanted to come back to UF and met your mental health standards you along with most of us would look to the skies in joy. SOS thought enough of Buddy to do that bio with him. But I get it. Most in here trash sports writers as savagely as any coach that doesn't measure up.ip
as for genuflecting there has to be a fine line in there for writers to maintain some sort of relationship with their subjects. One serious attack and you are outside looking in. I read a Namath book recently and one famous writer was shut off by Joe and 20 years later asked him "why did you shut me out" Namath said he forgot. I dont need a sports writer to give me dirt or nasty on a coach. I can decide if they are crap or the players will let us know soon enough. I want to read about my team. Buddy wrote a bio on Urban. You wanted something along the lines of the nonsense we read in here all the time about a coach that deserves the ring of honor?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
But I get it. Most in here trash sports writers as savagely as any coach that doesn't measure up
Pretty sure Martin trashed us this time, PE. I will always defend the fans over a guy that wants to bring Dan Mullen back. :rolleyes3:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I would love to read where Buddy M trashed us. I am oblivious sometimes (MOM) but what I have read by him was not bad about UF. link to the stink?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I would love to read where Buddy M trashed us. I am oblivious sometimes (MOM) but what I have read by him was not bad about UF. link to the stink?
It looks as if McElwain became discouraged, lost his will and was eaten alive by the monster that is Gator Nation.

Being coach at Florida is not a job for the faint of heart. Men of steel have been daunted at times. Remember, two Hall of Fame coaches with national championship résumés in the trophy case have scars to prove it.

Steve Spurrier left after 12 seasons, ostensibly for more money and a chance to coach in the NFL. But he also acknowledged a weariness. “Pretty soon,” Spurrier said of the fans and administrators, “they get tired of hearing all your stories.”

Urban Meyer rolled out of bed during the night after losing to Alabama in the SEC championship game, clutched his chest thinking he was having a heart attack, was rushed to the hospital and resigned. Meyer came back, but it was never the same.

What do they have in common with McElwain?

Pressure. Excruciating pressure. Unrealistic expectations by the fan base. The demand for overnight success and an unwillingness to allow time for building a program from the ground up or remodeling after a disappointing season. There is almost no margin for error because of the high salary.

If you are not rock solid in the saddle or a native son of the program, you will not survive the storms as Gators coach.
http://gridironnow.com/jim-mcelwain-never-good-fit/

You'll agree with every word of that, PE, so not sure why I'm wasting my time.

The premise of the article with Mac not being a "good fit" is also dumb. Mac is LAZY and he wouldn't be a good fit anywhere because he can't coach and doesn't want to work. In fact, if he hadn't been hired away I think Mac would have been fired at lowly Colorado State within a few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator