Fire Mac and roll carpet out for Chip Kelly

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
This got 3 likes? We've had among the worst offenses in the nation for 7 years running and people are turning their noses up at Chip Kelly?

Was Saban's brand damaged when he was fired by Miami?

Or Spurrier's brand by his time working for an owner who could turn a Hall of Fame coach like Joe Gibbs into a coach with a losing record.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Kelly's performance in the NFL has absolutely nothing to do with college football. Nothing. It's completely apples and oranges.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I guess you feel the same way about Saban and Spurrier then. Failing in the NFL means nothing.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I guess you feel the same way about Saban and Spurrier then. Failing in the NFL means nothing.

I think that was a different age... in today's age of social media failure is magnified.
Saban choose to leave Miami... he wasn't fired. He made the choice to go back to college. That is much different than being forced back to college after being a failure.
Spurrier failed, but he had already won a title at UF and honestly was never as good at USCe as he was at Florida. It isn't like Spurrier was pulling 5* talent.

Kelly failed in a big way.. he failed and got fired from two organizations and I personally think his brand is damaged.

The bottom line isn't that Kelly may not be better than Mac... it is that you can't fire Mac after two seasons to replace him with a guy unless that guy is a home run... I don't see Kelly as a home run.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
All these volleys over Mac's non-guru-ness, Grier's loss, Mac's recruiting failure, etc. begs creation of a
new descriptive word = rigamaroil.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think that was a different age... in today's age of social media failure is magnified.
Saban choose to leave Miami... he wasn't fired. He made the choice to go back to college. That is much different than being forced back to college after being a failure.
Spurrier failed, but he had already won a title at UF and honestly was never as good at USCe as he was at Florida. It isn't like Spurrier was pulling 5* talent.

Kelly failed in a big way.. he failed and got fired from two organizations and I personally think his brand is damaged.

The bottom line isn't that Kelly may not be better than Mac... it is that you can't fire Mac after two seasons to replace him with a guy unless that guy is a home run... I don't see Kelly as a home run.

Wut? Spurrier turned South Carolina, who has never won crap, never… Into a monster in the east. One that gave Urban Meyer one of his signature wins with the blocked kick. He is the all-time winningest coach at South Carolina. The greatest coach they've ever had.

TN G8R

Aug 24, 2016
I've wanted Chip Kelly to not be successful in the NFL with the hope that one day he would return to college and coach here. I have this nightmare that next season Tennessee has a horrible year and lure Chip there.

Himey

Founding Member
Super Important Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Does anyone remember how good of a recruiter Kelly was while in college?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Does anyone remember how good of a recruiter Kelly was while in college?

He had a # 9, # 13 and # 16 class in his last 3 years there - not too bad considering Oregon doesn't hardly produce any blue chip recruits I would think.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He had a # 9, # 13 and # 16 class in his last 3 years there - not too bad considering Oregon doesn't hardly produce any blue chip recruits I would think.

This board would absolutely go into full meltdown mode if we had classes like that, oh wait...
:doh:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
This board would absolutely go into full meltdown mode if we had classes like that, oh wait...
If we were going 49-7 with the best offense in college football during the same span, I don't think so.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If we were going 49-7 with the best offense in college football during the same span, I don't think so.

He didn't go 49-7 with those recruiting classes in the SEC. Big difference imo.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

He was at frickin Oregon. Who out west there besides USC is ever going to get hardly any top 10 class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.