First game you ever attended in The Swamp?

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Okeechobee Joe;n173296 said:
A lot of the younger crowd does not know that Ole Miss coached by the great Johnny Vaught was not only an SEC powerhouse, but a national powerhouse in the late 1950s early 1960s. It was unheard of at the time for Ole Miss to lose a game by 16 points. It was a big upset. As you know, the Gators had a sophomore quarterback who started that year by the name of Steve Spurrier.

This was a turning point game. Soon Ole Miss would fade into oblivion due to the baggage they carried when the SEC integrated football. They are just now, fifty years later, beginning to re-emerge on the national stage again. Florida, we all knew, would not always remain a middle of the pack SEC team, but would go on to someday win a SEC titile, and yes, even a national title. It just took a lot longer to get there than some of us thought.
There's a great ESPN documentary on the 1962 Ole' Miss team, Joe. I highly recommend it. There were campus riots that year, and not the kind we think of when we think of campus riots in the 60s and 70s. Basically armed outside agitators shooting live rounds at the National Guard over the admission of a solitary black gentleman to the school.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
'79 Miami - Schnellenberger kicks meaningless field goal at end of the game cuz he's pissed at student section for throwing lids. Have hated Miami ever since.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Never heard him called anything but Johnny Vaught until this thread. Must be Google/wiki which is wrong on a lot of stuff. :lol:

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
PastyStoole;n173782 said:
There's a great ESPN documentary on the 1962 Ole' Miss team, Joe. I highly recommend it. There were campus riots that year, and not the kind we think of when we think of campus riots in the 60s and 70s. Basically armed outside agitators shooting live rounds at the National Guard over the admission of a solitary black gentleman to the school.

I saw that one too, Pasty. It makes it pretty clear why that program just dropped into the realm of the has-beens. I happened on it by accident a couple of weeks ago while looking for a different 30 for 30 film, but that is a good one.

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
My first game was the 1971 Kentucky game. Me and my dad. We parked right beside the campus bookstore and ate bologna sandwiches sitting on the curb before the game. He bought me a Gator pennant that day and I treasured it for decades. Somehow it became lost a couple of decades ago; I would give anything to still have that thing.

Gators1138

Aug 12, 2014
1996 opening day VS southwestern louisiana. 10 days later I was standing on the yellow footprints of Parris Island. I missed the rest of the season at boot camp. I was able to watch the Gators 52-20 Sugar bowl win while standing duty at Marine combat training. My best friend took me to that game and as a way to pay him back I took him to the 2008 championship game to watch the Gators win it all!

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gators1138;n174449 said:
1996 opening day VS southwestern louisiana. 10 days later I was standing on the yellow footprints of Parris Island. I missed the rest of the season at boot camp. I was able to watch the Gators 52-20 Sugar bowl win while standing duty at Marine combat training. My best friend took me to that game and as a way to pay him back I took him to the 2008 championship game to watch the Gators win it all!

Is there a way for you to crop out that douche on the left of your AV?

Gators1138

Aug 12, 2014
WobbleGator;n174619 said:

while not the HBC we needed he was and still is a nice guy. But I should change it lol

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n174619 said:
Woobs, you are on a roll!

It's funny that without the douchebag, it's obvious the kid wasn't too happy about standing by him anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.